Is it too soon to buy an ebike?

PB Forum :: eMTB
Is it too soon to buy an ebike?
Posted: Mar 20, 2021 at 14:38 Quote
First gen?

You do realise Bosch is on its 4th generation of motor at this point? I get what you're saying about not wanting to find something that's better comes out 6 months later, your best bet is to buy something as soon as it's launched, when brands launch motors / frames they want to get at least 3 years out of the toolings they just invested in

If you're worried something better will come you will never buy anything, brands are always working on ways to make bikes better in the hope they can convince you it's worth upgrading to a newer model

Posted: Mar 23, 2021 at 3:23 Quote
dogboy1066 wrote:
What is the reliability like? Has anyone had any issues?
I have seen a few people complaining but it's hard to tell how many people are actually affected.

I've had an eeb for over 6 months now. unless you have motor/battery problems its no different than a regular mtb. I will say though that the added weight and subsequent strain on your consumables will mean you may have to change them more frequently. but look after the bike and you wont have a problem.

Posted: Mar 27, 2021 at 14:54 Quote
I guess it depends on what you are looking for and if that exists or not.

I am pretty interested in the light weight trail ebikes. It seems like more manufacturers are coming out with one of these so I am waiting a little longer to see what else comes out.

Posted: Mar 31, 2021 at 10:13 Quote
I think the thing that lets them down is the drivetrain, the problem is it's not been designed for an ebike, it''s just been robbed from normal bikes and stuck on them.
I've just bought an ebike last month btw, I know they will be better in the future, but i've been into biking for 6 years now, never had one longer than 2 years anyway so when they get better in 2 years I'll have one of them too if I'm still able.
I'm also well aware I only have so much time left on this earth in this condition that I am at least able to get out on the bike. would hate to be looking back on life thinking "damn I wish I just bought the bike and ridden it instead of waiting for the optimum time to buy a bike"

Posted: Mar 31, 2021 at 14:28 Quote
Not too soon but possibly too late. Good luck finding the popular models. I just picked up a Trek 9.7 Rail yesterday. I could get any color I wanted as long as I wanted green. They have lots of 9.9s but they are out of my price range

O+
Posted: Apr 2, 2021 at 3:44 Quote
No, this now is like getting a samsung S4 after smartphones havebeen out for some generations. The biggest thing is the cost and even finding one for sale, because they are so popular.

Posted: Apr 2, 2021 at 4:22 Quote
Fenwick458 wrote:
I think the thing that lets them down is the drivetrain, the problem is it's not been designed for an ebike, it''s just been robbed from normal bikes and stuck on them.
I've just bought an ebike last month btw, I know they will be better in the future, but i've been into biking for 6 years now, never had one longer than 2 years anyway so when they get better in 2 years I'll have one of them too if I'm still able.
I'm also well aware I only have so much time left on this earth in this condition that I am at least able to get out on the bike. would hate to be looking back on life thinking "damn I wish I just bought the bike and ridden it instead of waiting for the optimum time to buy a bike"

I agree with the point about the crap drivetrains on e bikes, I think we will see gearboxes on them soon. I'm fed up with derailleurs from many perspectives. I've actually blogged about it recently.

https://www.pinkbike.com/u/DoubleCrownAddict/blog/derailleur-failure-and-why-its-time-to-evolve-beyond-them.html

I have no interest in gong back to a traditional bike, even if it means i ride more solo cause i don't like the slow speed other people climb at on regular bikes. I've gotten used to riding not solo anyways cause if the pandemic. . Hopefully they will be getting e bikes soon though. A big group e bike ride would be fun.

Posted: Apr 3, 2021 at 0:19 Quote
The Technology Of E-Bikes Is So Good, Easy To Comfort Drive For The Long Distance Travel.

Posted: Apr 3, 2021 at 11:15 Quote
Is it too soon to start having more fun on a bicycle then you ever have before ?

Posted: Apr 3, 2021 at 12:48 Quote
DoubleCrownAddict wrote:
Fenwick458 wrote:

I agree with the point about the crap drivetrains on e bikes, I think we will see gearboxes on them soon. I'm fed up with derailleurs from many perspectives. I've actually blogged about it recently.

https://www.pinkbike.com/u/DoubleCrownAddict/blog/derailleur-failure-and-why-its-time-to-evolve-beyond-them.html

exactly!

the days of an outboard derailleur and exposed drivetrain on mountain bikes are numbered, don't worry.
I saw a post on GCN this week about a hub gear that can effectively do away with the front mech on road bikes, yet it fits into a rear hub and is almost maintenance free and can shift under full load.
surely if they can put one of them into a rear hub, then they can put it into an ebike motor and halve the size of cassette at least for now, go back to wider chains that last longer..

Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 14:31 Quote
Fenwick458 wrote:

First thing I did when I bought my ebike was sell the 12 speed shimano drivetrain and picked up a 10 speed MS Advent X group with steel cassette, SRAM ex1 chain, and even a steel freehub body. I either broke even, or made more money selling the takeoffs. After 3 months of riding, the black Advent steel cassette doesn't even have any paint wear!

Definitely adds a bit of weight but who cares on an ebike?

To the OP, like another comment said, these rounds of ebikes are not the first ones. There's been plenty before that. Turbo Levo is on its 3rd gen, and Haibike has been around for a while too.

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 18:37 Quote
I ride a Levo SL expert and it’s so light I can ride it with the motor off half the time. It’s like having an analog enduro bike and an E-trail bike all in one. I’m also riding 3x more often than I was before because I’m not wiped out after a big day. Buy your eMTB now. No regrets!

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 8:33 Quote
Nope. They’re awesome. I’m having loads of fun at bike park Wales and on local trails. Only thing I’d say is go local bike store so it’s easy to get support if it fails.

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 11:36 Quote
I just purchased the 2021 Mondraker Dusk RR. Does anyone know where to find a cainguide for it?

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 12:58 Quote
antdehoyos wrote:
I just purchased the 2021 Mondraker Dusk RR. Does anyone know where to find a cainguide for it?

OneUp offers one that you can use with the EP8 motor.

https://can.oneupcomponents.com/collections/chainguides/products/chain-guide-steps

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.077031
Mobile Version of Website