Heavy riders on 2020+ Norco Sight

PB Forum :: Norco
Heavy riders on 2020+ Norco Sight
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 11:21 Quote
As a burly boy coming in at somewhere between 240 and now 255 after going on SSRIs and gaining my "Covid-19", I'm outside of the range for the Ride Aligned system. I am taking efforts to drop some weight but I am wondering about setup in the meantime.

I have a fox-equipped Sight on the way (due to limited choice) and noted that at my riding level, I'd be maxing out the shock at 233 lbs, let alone my current heftiness.

Are any of you other clydes riding these Sights and have any insights into the fox suspension at a heavier weight?

I was wondering if cranking up the LSC/HSC manages to make it work or if its worth swapping out for a Rockshox one that seems to have a higher capacity?

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 15:35 Quote
Bruh... its bulking season, no excuse needed!

So I've found the Sight definitely is easier to set up for riders under 230. But all isn't lost.

Couple ways around it:

1. Play with RideAligned. The beauty of the app is it allows you to change factors like your weight balance or skill level, and see that reflected across all aspects of the setup- bar height to tire pressure.
You can use that information to extrapolate to how isolated changes (bar height for example) will affect the pressures you need in your suspension.

My advice would be to start by dropping your bar height 1cm, and maybe let a little air out of your fork, and try that.

2. Rockshox SD air shocks have higher max pressures

3. Coils shocks are a fancy pants option. Fox and marzo do 700lb springs which should work real nice.

Don't bother with the cascade link. While it might help your end stroke, you'll be halfway through the travel even at max pressure.

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 17:41 Quote
What's your sag at 300 psi

O+
Posted: Apr 28, 2021 at 20:55 Quote
Sorry for the delay. Took a while to actually get the bike. Just sitting on the saddle taking sag its looking like 36% sag or so. Definitely feels squishier than ideal, going to drop the fork and play with some options but wondering if anyone else had advice.

O+
Posted: Apr 30, 2021 at 9:33 Quote
thetruejb wrote:
Sorry for the delay. Took a while to actually get the bike. Just sitting on the saddle taking sag its looking like 36% sag or so. Definitely feels squishier than ideal, going to drop the fork and play with some options but wondering if anyone else had advice.

What's your sag when measured in an 'attack' position? (standing, elbows out, weight centered, as if you were riding through some tech).
If your sag is 36% seated, I bet it's sub 30% standing. That's pretty close to ideal.

O+
Posted: Apr 30, 2021 at 12:59 Quote
Its still about 33%. I've cranked up a few clicks of the compression and it feels alright but not ideal.

I think its just an inherent issue with the Float X2. I know I've seen similar issues for us big boys across all different bikes. Might have to just spring for a RS.

Any idea if bumping the 52.5 stroke up to 55 would help? Or even how to do it on the same shock?

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 30, 2021 at 14:26 Quote
You may want to look into this - but if you're not running the maximum number of tokens, you may be able to exceed the maximum pressure specified for the shock. That maximum pressure is likely based on forces at bottom-out with the air can stuffed with tokens, so running fewer tokens than the max may give you some wiggle room.

O+
Posted: Apr 30, 2021 at 17:06 Quote
hmm. not that I will do that but how much wiggle room do you think there is? 5 psi? 15? 50?

I don't really want to play around with a highly pressurized canister between my legs Razz

Posted: May 1, 2021 at 9:17 Quote
Is your sight a 2021?

The X2 changed for 2021 and is now more progressive. In 2020 quite a few riders had trouble with the X2 as it wasn't as progressive as other air shocks.

36% sag isn't bad - are you bottoming out frequently?

Posted: Jun 6, 2022 at 22:29 Quote
What are people doing now on their 2020 Sights?

I'm riding a used 2020 with the X2 shock 220lbs and 300psi and not happy with the bottom out on big hits.

Is the best option to upgrade to a more progressive shock? I was thinking of adding the HSC dial onto mine but don't want to waste my time if a new shock is the answer.

FL
Posted: Jun 6, 2022 at 23:46 Quote
x2 is the only way to get anything out of the sight frame for us heavier riders.
I ended up with 2 spacers, around about 300psi ISH and close to the norco settings for HSC/LSC etc

It's a balance for sure and i struggled for ages, i got good bump or big hit, but was never happy when trying to get both.

Something i never tried was the Megneg, but i believe we might struggle for overal pressure on that setup.

O+
Posted: Jun 14, 2022 at 11:27 Quote
Yeah, the Megneg tops out at 275psi. Not ideal for a 200lb+ rider.

I've been stoked on my 2021 X2. Best feeling shock overall.

I've been running an Xfusion h3c with a 700lb fox coil and I'm honestly really impressed. Need a tad more rebound damping, then it's really good (especially for a coil).

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010881
Mobile Version of Website