2022 Epic Evo

PB Forum :: Specialized
2022 Epic Evo
Posted: Oct 29, 2022 at 2:57 Quote
Simann wrote:
griellwe wrote:
Thank you. Yes, I think changing stem length by 25% is not ideal with this geometry and I would like to avoid any modifications to be honest. I am 5ft10' so slightly taller than you.

Go with a Large. You will probably feel great with a 40-50 mm stem.

Thank you

Posted: Oct 29, 2022 at 2:57 Quote
sobanbhatti wrote:

I am 5'8" but my wingspan is 5'11" which makes me fit better on Large frames. Medium feels really cramped in the cockpit. Initially I was using a 40mm stem but 50mm or 60mm feels best. Given your height I would say go with Large frame a shorter stem if needed

Thank you

Posted: Oct 29, 2022 at 12:38 Quote
Has anyone found the upper limits of this bike? I’ve just ordered a Comp with the intention of using it as a lightweight trail bike, anyone taken it to a bike park or on some proper steep techy trails?

O+
Posted: Oct 29, 2022 at 15:06 Quote
gareth4636 wrote:
Has anyone found the upper limits of this bike? I’ve just ordered a Comp with the intention of using it as a lightweight trail bike, anyone taken it to a bike park or on some proper steep techy trails?

I would never take it to a bike park, but for fast single track "downcountry" stuff, its perfect. I had a 2020 Tallboy, it reminds me a lot of that bike, but much much lighter and more agile.

Posted: Oct 29, 2022 at 15:21 Quote
Simann wrote:
gareth4636 wrote:

I would never take it to a bike park, but for fast single track "downcountry" stuff, its perfect. I had a 2020 Tallboy, it reminds me a lot of that bike, but much much lighter and more agile.

Any reason you wouldn’t take it? Other than the shorter travel? It shares the rear triangle with the stumpy so in theory…..?

O+
Posted: Oct 29, 2022 at 17:19 Quote
gareth4636 wrote:
Simann wrote:
gareth4636 wrote:

Any reason you wouldn’t take it? Other than the shorter travel? It shares the rear triangle with the stumpy so in theory…..?

I have both currently, my wife rides a 22' Stumpjumper, I had a 22' Stumpjumper as well as 23' Stumpjumper Evo and have the 22' Epic Evo. The geometry and the carbon layup is totally different between the Epic Evo and Stumpjumper. I would never take the Epic Evo off 10" drops. The geometry of the Epic Evo is "slack" for an XC bike, but "old school" when compared to a true trail bike. The Epic Evo does get squirrely at higher speeds...

Posted: Oct 30, 2022 at 5:08 Quote
griellwe wrote:
sobanbhatti wrote:

I am 5'8" but my wingspan is 5'11" which makes me fit better on Large frames. Medium feels really cramped in the cockpit. Initially I was using a 40mm stem but 50mm or 60mm feels best. Given your height I would say go with Large frame a shorter stem if needed

Thank you

Sobanbhatti, did you originally have Medium EE?

Posted: Oct 30, 2022 at 11:50 Quote
Simann wrote:
gareth4636 wrote:
Simann wrote:

I have both currently, my wife rides a 22' Stumpjumper, I had a 22' Stumpjumper as well as 23' Stumpjumper Evo and have the 22' Epic Evo. The geometry and the carbon layup is totally different between the Epic Evo and Stumpjumper. I would never take the Epic Evo off 10" drops. The geometry of the Epic Evo is "slack" for an XC bike, but "old school" when compared to a true trail bike. The Epic Evo does get squirrely at higher speeds...

Hmm interesting…I’m gonna take it to some flowy bike parks with some decently sized doubles and see how it goes, provided I don’t land harshly I’m sure it’ll be fine very excited to take it to some big XC/Duro loops in wales.

O+
Posted: Oct 30, 2022 at 12:11 Quote
gareth4636 wrote:

I bring a regular epic with a 120mm fork to the bike park and have no issues. People really underestimate what a bike can handle and usually the rider is the weak link.

Posted: Oct 30, 2022 at 12:17 Quote
Leven wrote:
gareth4636 wrote:

I bring a regular epic with a 120mm fork to the bike park and have no issues. People really underestimate what a bike can handle and usually the rider is the weak link.

I had a cannondale habit for a year and smashed that on black DH runs, it was a bit rough but 66 headangle never thought it wasn’t capable, just was so heavy it was a pig to pedal hence it was basically a heavy trail bike, hence going for down country now, figured if it’s not gonna have the travel may aswell be light! Going to keep a 150mm 29er in the stable for the properly rough stuff but I’m expecting the Epic Evo to be able to do everything my Habit could, won’t be taking it on 25ft jumps tho I’m not silly!!

O+
Posted: Oct 31, 2022 at 13:50 Quote
griellwe wrote:

No, I had the opportunity to try a Medium EE at the bike shop before deciding Large is the way to go.

Here in Alberta we have big climbs (200M, 500M+ climbs) followed by long mountain descents and the bike works really well. The geometry is so dialed and coming from a 100/100mm race bike, the EEvo is incredibly comfortable and capable. The Fox DPS shock does get overwhelmed by the end of runs beyond 400M+ due to heat buildup and I would love to replace it with a Float X. The bike absolutely rips. For repeated DH runs on black diamond trails I take my Enduro.

Posted: Nov 1, 2022 at 6:37 Quote
sobanbhatti wrote:
griellwe wrote:

No, I had the opportunity to try a Medium EE at the bike shop before deciding Large is the way to go.

Here in Alberta we have big climbs (200M, 500M+ climbs) followed by long mountain descents and the bike works really well. The geometry is so dialed and coming from a 100/100mm race bike, the EEvo is incredibly comfortable and capable. The Fox DPS shock does get overwhelmed by the end of runs beyond 400M+ due to heat buildup and I would love to replace it with a Float X. The bike absolutely rips. For repeated DH runs on black diamond trails I take my Enduro.

Thanks!

Posted: Nov 11, 2022 at 10:08 Quote
Just incase anyone’s wondered and familiar with UK riding I’ve had it two weeks, only change made is 50mm stem fitted and taken it to Cannock Chase and smashed it round the monkey and all the off piste loam stuff there, then Chicksands bike park laps including the large drops and snake run with a 25ft double at the bottom and it handled it all in stride no issues! Loving this thing as a lightweight trail bike!

Posted: Nov 27, 2022 at 16:27 Quote
photo

Had this thing for a few months now and couldn't be happier with it!

Its an XL Comp that randomly showed up at the shop an hour before I walked in.

Upgrades

Race Day damper (the Charger RL bit the dust a month in and Rockshox upgraded it under warranty) HUGE improvement in small bump and all around feel.

BikeYoke Revive 160 dropper with PNW remote (best dropper I have ever used by far)

One Up bars

MRP chain guide

Matallic brakes pads really helped the G2s with fade issues on long descents

XO chain

Maxxis Dissector up front in the summer for the steeper stuff in the Cascades but back to Ground Controls for winter high desert riding.

O+
Posted: Nov 27, 2022 at 16:39 Quote
xaos wrote:
photo

Had this thing for a few months now and couldn't be happier with it!

Its an XL Comp that randomly showed up at the shop an hour before I walked in.

Upgrades

Race Day damper (the Charger RL bit the dust a month in and Rockshox upgraded it under warranty) HUGE improvement in small bump and all around feel.

BikeYoke Revive 160 dropper with PNW remote (best dropper I have ever used by far)

One Up bars

MRP chain guide

Matallic brakes pads really helped the G2s with fade issues on long descents

XO chain

Maxxis Dissector up front in the summer for the steeper stuff in the Cascades but back to Ground Controls for winter high desert riding.

The BikeYoke is the best dropper on the market by a mile. And ditto on the metallic compound pads with G2's, ran them all year and wow do they feel like Code's!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.111796
Mobile Version of Website