Older riders, but not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Older riders, but not "Old School"
O+
Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 18:19 Quote
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.bushpilotbiking.com/gallery/albums/wpw-20070427/normal_April-27_3.jpg
Nice helmet, eh?

Explains a lot.

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 18:27 Quote
29. always been riding more or less. it was the only way to get around on your own accord as a kid. we use to call it bush bashing and would go for a bush bash on what ever bike we had which was usually a BMX.

My dad got a bike shop when in high school in the mid 90's. i remember seeing my first set of Mag 21s with my own eyes n being blown away. then you're dreaming of RS judy DHs with long travel kits and white bros dampening. then its Trek Y-frames, DH bars. $2, 000 could get you almost any bike you wanted, maybe even a purple Klien!

I started really getting back into riding about a year ago with my brother after about 6 years being out of the loop. i had the opinion that FS was for old men. haha. I started hangin out on PinkBike and was blown away by what people where up to. we have good trails out here but nothing that pushes you to go crazy like over there in north america. I so wish we had trails and riders like you have when growing up. i feel i've wasted my youth now i'm learning how to freeride properly at age 29.

however my old man at 53 is a sight. he only really got into biking a few years ago, tagging along with us. the other day i saw him to a 3 foot gap over this water rutt on his 4 inch KHS trailbike. i was sure he would case the front wheel cause he cant even wrap his wind around bunny hoping with out clip in shoes. he loves log rides n northshore and is going thru one of those mid (late mid) life fitness obsessions, so because he cant keep up going down hill he'll smash out the climbs and give you crap for walking up or taking so long. its classic.

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 18:29 Quote
smoke wrote:
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.bushpilotbiking.com/gallery/albums/wpw-20070427/normal_April-27_3.jpg
Nice helmet, eh?

Explains a lot.

Yeah Johnny, rockin' it old-school like that!!

O+
Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 18:32 Quote
Salute

A single solitary tear just rolled down my cheek reading the other posts and remembering all my old dead bike stuff over the years.

At 28 I just barely meet the age requirement, but started riding in '94, with a lot of anodized stuff. I miss my old Hei Hei ... or Blizzard ... or yellow S-Works ...

Sigh

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 19:34 Quote
hustler wrote:
Salute

A single solitary tear just rolled down my cheek reading the other posts and remembering all my old dead bike stuff over the years.

At 28 I just barely meet the age requirement, but started riding in '94, with a lot of anodized stuff. I miss my old Hei Hei ... or Blizzard ... or yellow S-Works ...

Sigh
Second that buddy, there have been some,"interesting" and memorable products / trends fer sure.

O+ FL
Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 19:55 Quote
saintjimmy wrote:
davemud wrote:
Here here, also no discs, no suspension and no armour... ppffft kids today think they're so hard core... lol. So does anyone here remember or know who Mint Sauce is?

We've got a Mintsauce poster of him chasing down a bering throughout the countryside in our Gym

Mint Sauce one of the few reason i continue to go to england to visit family.

Disc brakes o man i remeber group rides with my middle school mountain bike coach who had just built up a new VPS 2 circa 1999, my god we sat there and stared for hours to the point where he had to tell us to stop and go ride.

Anyone remember hayes cable actuated hydraulic brakes?

O+
Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 23:34 Quote
carnell wrote:
saintjimmy wrote:
davemud wrote:
Here here, also no discs, no suspension and no armour... ppffft kids today think they're so hard core... lol. So does anyone here remember or know who Mint Sauce is?

We've got a Mintsauce poster of him chasing down a bering throughout the countryside in our Gym

Mint Sauce one of the few reason i continue to go to england to visit family.

Disc brakes o man i remeber group rides with my middle school mountain bike coach who had just built up a new VPS 2 circa 1999, my god we sat there and stared for hours to the point where he had to tell us to stop and go ride.

Anyone remember hayes cable actuated hydraulic brakes?

Those things were balls. They had all the weaknesses of cable brakes and all the weaknesses of hydraulic brakes. Bleeding them was a nightmare too.

Posted: Dec 22, 2008 at 12:25 Quote
davemud wrote:
ricar wrote:
The thing that did it for me was my baby girl. I started riding when I was 4 and never looked back. I don't see DJ trails as really new school as I started building them in about '87. Though I guess if you look at RUN DMC new school was in '83. My helmet is older than some of the guys at my local trails. I put 7 years of digging into COX which is the last of a few places. It's funny how when you have a kid and don't dig for 3 months kids that have been digging think their 3 months is worth something. (my girl was born in March so I missed all the spring action) Some kids are cool, and exept that you know what you are talking about and some are just so arrogant they have no idea. I swapped from BMX to MTBs about 5 years ago and they think I have always been on an MTB. One kid came to my house and saw all my BMX trophies and freaked, he's one of the cool kids. I think that that's just life though, every new crop of riders think they are the first and the old guys just don't know how things are today. I remember watching forks fail, frames get ripped in half ect, ect,,,, No 1 1/8th steerers Skyway TA frames, lighter is better who cares if your frame lasts a week. Those old guys learned with no resi mats or foam pits. That was old school.

hes still alive and kicking,and my inspiration.

http://www.thisiswhy.co.uk/

Posted: Dec 22, 2008 at 14:27 Quote
I was big into the old Radical Rick toons in BMX plus. I actually figured out the alphabet they used. I was bummed when they posted it. I still like the old pit bull brakes. When they came out they were the coolest things and worked great. I acually bought one a bit ago, I'm going to weld it's bosses on the next frame I make.

Posted: Dec 22, 2008 at 15:09 Quote
ricar wrote:
I was big into the old Radical Rick toons in BMX plus. I actually figured out the alphabet they used. I was bummed when they posted it. I still like the old pit bull brakes. When they came out they were the coolest things and worked great. I acually bought one a bit ago, I'm going to weld it's bosses on the next frame I make.

that frame look pretty sweet

Posted: Dec 22, 2008 at 18:46 Quote
Still have my 1989 robinson pro series complete with...pause...pitbull brake! Great brake, but I prefer the foot in the tire method...saves weight.

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 1:17 Quote
Hi. I'm 38. I dont act it though. According to my wife I'm 15 going on 40. I love to send it big. I still ride a hard tail ( Norco Sasquatch) and have reached the limit of the bikes abillities. I will be ordering a free ride fully soon and feel like the kid who's mowing lawns to buy his gear all over again! I'm lucky to have a son who is 13 and loves to ride. I can still send it bigger and faster than him ( for now) so I still reign in our house . Any one got any kids that put them to shame? Mine will prob catch up this year. Love the idea of this thread. Nothing worse that talking to some 15yr old punk who cant spell or thinks he knows it all.

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 1:24 Quote
Dguzzler said:
"I still snowboard and skateboard (vert). I get kids asking me if I'm good. I always respond, " good enough to have fun".

Yep I skateboard too and get the same question. My responce is uhhhhhh....no. Just here for the fun. I usually ask them before I start I they have a cell phone to dial 911. I love the look on the faces when I actually make It down the ramps and such.

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 11:02 Quote
That is funny. I have been to the BMX track so many times and kids say you'r awsome. I always say the same thing, thats because the guys that can ride are not here yet.....

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 13:30 Quote
Hey you guys are out there in the parks so take the props, their dads' probably don't ride so they're learning adulthood doesn't have to be boring. I'm not a dirt jumper or a BMXer and generally keep my wheels on the ground.

I've rolled the jumps and pump track at Lafarge in Coquitlam on a Trance X1 and a Reign and working up to the point I can catch a little air but I don't bounce as well as the kids do.

I'm getting more comfortable with the bridges and skiinies too but still take it pretty easy. Some of the ones I do on Burnaby are 50/50 meaning I make it about half the time which is better than when I started.

Maybe switching to flats would help but I've riden clipless so long I can't get comfortable with the flats.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.028970
Mobile Version of Website