PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Tire Squirm...is it really so bad?
  • Next Page
Posted: May 9, 2023 at 9:10 Quote
barp wrote:
jeremy3220 wrote:
barp wrote:
So... your rim width?

This thread isn't about how to stop tire folding/squirm. That's been covered to death.

Understood. But I'm still curious. Y'know, for science?

Same. It is hard to know without casing/rim and tire width/inserts yes or no, etc.

O+ FL
Posted: May 9, 2023 at 10:29 Quote
I'm running i30 WAO rims with either a Rock Razor in Super Trail casing (folds really easily), Slaughter in Grid Trail or DHR2 in DD. All measure out to 2.4" wide.

Posted: May 9, 2023 at 10:45 Quote
jeremy3220 wrote:
I'm running i30 WAO rims with either a Rock Razor in Super Trail casing (folds really easily), Slaughter in Grid Trail or DHR2 in DD. All measure out to 2.4" wide.

Ok here is a very obvious question: have you tried a rear insert or a heavier casing?

O+ FL
Posted: May 9, 2023 at 10:52 Quote
MT36 wrote:
jeremy3220 wrote:

Ok here is a very obvious question: have you tried a rear insert or a heavier casing?

I've ran Rimpact, Cushcore Pro and Cushcore XC. They don't actually do much. CCPro is equivalent to adding 2 psi in cornering support but it's also less predictable when it does fold. I've only ran DD casings because I don't want to pedal Maxx Grip type compounds in the rear.

Posted: May 9, 2023 at 11:14 Quote
Gotcha. I run DH casings with maxxgripp in the rear... it is a struggle/hate mission for climbs at times but once I'm in shape I don't notice it. I don't know if that would solve the issue though.

O+
Posted: May 10, 2023 at 11:26 Quote
@200 and folding tires at 30PSI i think youd be suited to DH case tires.
If your ok with folding then ????

me personally It feels as if the rear has broken loose and i go into correction mode then realized the rear is still holding and the correction wasnt needed. I find it annoying.

O+ FL
Posted: May 10, 2023 at 11:57 Quote
If you aren’t burping air, hurting the rim or killing tires, it’s fine.

O+ FL
Posted: May 10, 2023 at 12:18 Quote
Yeah a DH semislick with a slow wearing compound is my dream tire.

O+
Posted: May 10, 2023 at 13:15 Quote
jeremy3220 wrote:
Yeah a DH semislick with a slow wearing compound is my dream tire.

Any tire is a semi slick with a pair of bull snips

Posted: May 13, 2023 at 9:03 Quote
I don’t really notice it much In high speed berms. I’m currently running a DD 2.5 Aggressor on 27mm e13 TRS Al. I’m 185-190lbs and I usually run 30psi R/ 24-25psi F. I did however notice some squirm going off a step down into high speed berm. That felt quite unnerving. I also have a set of WAO Unions and with the wider rim I haven’t had this kind of issue so it may be up to that. In my mind tho, if you are folding a bit in the corners it would seem that you might have extra energy propelling you out of those corners. I do get confused sometimes so who knows lol

Posted: May 13, 2023 at 10:06 Quote
Op I think you can answer your own question pretty easily. Loss of speed, traction, and/or instability (or perceived/felt instability) are all generally bad... so have you optimized that in cornering most of the time these things aren't problems that occur (and done so without creating other problems elsewhere)? If yes, don't worry, be happy.

I think if people could better visualize just how much their whole bike is flexing and contorting under load, they'd be less freaked by tire squirm on its own as long as they're also getting the desired outcomes while riding.

On the flip side, you can absolutely wreck tires that aren't stout enough (or setup stout enough) to handle the forces being applied. I've ruined a lot of casings and beads trying to be lightweight, so as stated, all things in mtb are a tradeoff.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012314
Mobile Version of Website