Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
O+
Posted: May 1, 2017 at 15:02 Quote
Rode prospector last weekend and it was mint. Zero snow, just a bit muddy because it had rained the night before. This week should be perfect.

Anyone ride Moose lately? Any updates on toothless, Billy Dog.

O+
Posted: May 1, 2017 at 15:05 Quote
mdeppi wrote:
Rode prospector last weekend and it was mint. Zero snow, just a bit muddy because it had rained the night before. This week should be perfect.

Anyone ride Moose lately? Any updates on toothless, Billy Dog.

Maybe by the end of the week it will be. It snowed there this past week so Im pretty sure things have changed since you went. As for moose, last I heard (few dyas ago) it was like a foot of snow up there.

O+
Posted: May 1, 2017 at 16:33 Quote
Comments on Facebook that prospector was 80% snow on April 29th and Moose is still very snowy.

Posted: May 1, 2017 at 19:05 Quote
Saw an instagram photo from moose on Saturday I think, all snow at the top of the road and guy said it didn't get any better down the mountain

O+
Posted: May 1, 2017 at 20:01 Quote
Report from Sunday by a hiker that I know-
bigquotesThe trail conditions were appalling--slushy boot deep snow on most of the Long Distance Trail, with some north-facing pitches knee deep. The return on Telephone Loop was mostly slush, mud and standing or flowing water.
Obviously they didn't choose the driest of hiking possibilities, but the above probably applies to some extent to most if not all of the foothills trails right now.

Posted: May 2, 2017 at 7:42 Quote
Everything on the East side of Canmore is ridable with isolated puddles, mud, and some snow.

Posted: May 2, 2017 at 12:15 Quote
Eastlands was pretty dry last night. We saw a few other riders out there. Even if it rains a bit it will still be ok.

Gotta get creative right now if you really want to ride near YYC.

Posted: May 2, 2017 at 14:05 Quote
Suggestions on where to park/access East Lands from the north?

Posted: May 2, 2017 at 15:46 Quote
mntbiker wrote:

I live up there so ride from home. But you can park by that Apostle church just off Old Banff Coach Road and Coulee Way SW and access trails right behind those houses if you head north. There are some old power poles laying on the ground and you will see a trail straight ahead of you. Trailforks will help as always. Only bad about parking up top is that after all the descents you are climibing all the way home to the car.

I think Big Steve rides from 16th ave so he may have a better idea of how to access it from below.

Posted: May 2, 2017 at 19:47 Quote
Any Bragg Creek info?

O+
Posted: May 2, 2017 at 20:08 Quote
hayden wrote:
Any Bragg Creek info?

Parking lot is closed until the 5th and its probably a good thing to keep people off what I am sure are very muddy trails

O+
Posted: May 2, 2017 at 20:28 Quote
mntbiker wrote:

I live a stones throw away from Bowmont Park in Silver Springs, so I always pedal over through Bowmont to Eastlands (aka Paskapoo Slopes). I enter near the NE corner, 2-300m up Sarcee from the16th Ave overpass, on a beaten trail that angles up just past the end of the graded hillside. Have a look at Trailforks- "Backdoor" is the route in. With all the roadwork going on- it could be a bit iffy especially at rush hour, but was still viable as of last Sunday. So you could park in the vicinity of Rona or Sunnyside Greenhouse and pedal over from there.
Another access HAS been from the teahouse road through COP, but as I never go that way, I have no idea if that still works and if there is parking space.

O+
Posted: May 2, 2017 at 20:44 Quote
A beauty evening for a ride!
Bowmont was pretty much great throughout with just the standard few short wallows. That short noon hour burst of precip dried quickly.
12 Mile in good shape too. Full creek crossings- expect to get your shoes wet. A bunch of small mud holes- ride through please, don't widen the trail. Dead Horse
Riders have been veering around them- but a few mud splashes won't hurt your paint job, or your skin.

O+
Posted: May 2, 2017 at 22:18 Quote
I agree! Beauty night, I went to Bowmont and the conditions were as good as they get! Hardly any dust, but totally dry trails.

Posted: May 2, 2017 at 23:21 Quote
Minewanka trail was mint.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016510
Mobile Version of Website