Home Made Bikes

Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 14:34 Quote
hey all looking to find someone who can CNC and make a steel/alu full sus, let me know. thanks!

Posted: Dec 14, 2019 at 17:47 Quote
JimmyGrand wrote:
Does anyone know of a european supplier of 7005 aluminium tubing - preferably T0 or T4?

nope but i know a supplier of 7020

Posted: Dec 15, 2019 at 17:00 Quote
It's not a full frame yet, but I'm starting to get excited! This is the bottom bracket junction of a gravel bike frame that I've been working on for a while now. It's compression molded out of fiberglass for now, and I'll re-do it in carbon fiber hopefully in the near future. This part was made in 3D printed molds using a removable 3D printed core material.

Bottom bracket junction molded with removable mandrel

Fiberglass plies for a 20 layer mandrel layup of the bottom bracket junction

Posted: Dec 15, 2019 at 17:53 Quote
Bigtiresrbetter wrote:
[ ... ] 3D printed molds [ ... ]

Neat. How much pressure are you able to use with those molds?

Posted: Dec 15, 2019 at 18:11 Quote
Infusion or just wet layup? Awesome proof of concept either way man tup

Posted: Dec 15, 2019 at 18:46 Quote
This part was a wet layup around a PVA mandrel that was dissolved out after the resin cured. I also did a part using a bladder system in this mold using ~10 psi, which was all my bladders could handle. The mold should be able to handle a bit more than that.

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 5:09 Quote
Nice to see the stepwise progression. Thank you for the update and I hope it goes well!

Posted: Jan 1, 2020 at 9:53 Quote
Homemade carbon fibre frame update:

Homemade carbon frame

After riding for over 2 years in the above setup I decided it was time for the geometry to be updated. So decided to make a new steel front triangle utilising the original homemade swing arm - I've always liked the idea of a carbon fibre/steel mix.

The last frame of 2019 A new Steel front triangle for the homemade carbon fibre frame. After riding it for over 2 years the geometry needed a bit of updating.

Updated geometry:
HA: 63º
STA: 76º
CS: 430mm
Reach: 450mm
Travel (f/r): 160/140mm

Posted: Jan 1, 2020 at 11:22 Quote
wow that looks amazing Salute Helmet

Posted: Jan 2, 2020 at 8:41 Quote
A question which I thought of when looking at the Field Test 13 Bikes Hucked to Flat video the other day... Do any of you home builders consider the effect of tyre rate in your suspension spring rate calculations?

Additionally, what level of structural analysis do you carry out for your frames, or is it a case of rule of thumb and experience?

Posted: Jan 2, 2020 at 8:55 Quote
I'm a design consultant, not a home builder. To address the question of tire/tyre rate on suspension spring calculations: no, it's not explicitly considered during chassis design. It rarely, if ever, changes the decision on shock spec. The customer may want to adjust the dampers a click or two for high-volume tires.

Posted: Jan 2, 2020 at 11:01 Quote
That's an interesting question about if and how frame design and suspension setup should be adjusted for tire volume and pressure. Whether tire inserts are present and what tire inserts are present should probably also be considerations.

Posted: Jan 2, 2020 at 11:48 Quote
cedrico wrote:
That's an interesting question about if and how frame design and suspension setup should be adjusted for tire volume and pressure. Whether tire inserts are present and what tire inserts are present should probably also be considerations.

You're overestimating the precision with which the chassis and dampers can be tuned, let alone the precision with which they are tuned.

Posted: Jan 2, 2020 at 14:39 Quote
cedrico wrote:
I would doubt you see frames tuned for tires based on the amount of variance described above

If someone builds a frame around a 2.2” Ground Control, and the rider throws on a 2.4” Minion, then that would negate the additional frame tuning.

And that’s if you could do that level of tuning at all...

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009935
Mobile Version of Website