Repaired (re-welded) frame bought unknowingly - What Now?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Repaired (re-welded) frame bought unknowingly - What Now?
O+
Posted: Oct 18, 2008 at 9:51 Quote
When you sold it did you tell the person what was done and what you new about it?

O+
Posted: Oct 18, 2008 at 10:01 Quote
Caveat emptor, my friend. Sorry.
you bought a bike online. Shoulda gone to a bike shop. Next time, maybe.

Posted: Oct 18, 2008 at 12:05 Quote
bc-biker wrote:
When you sold it did you tell the person what was done and what you new about it?
Ino this is bad but i never told them Rolleyes its still going strong tho after the powdercoat it wasnt even noticable and i actualy totaly forgot! wasnt to pissed to be ohnest it was only around the top of the seat tube would of liked to have been told myself when i brought it

Posted: Oct 18, 2008 at 13:13 Quote
sam4412 wrote:
bc-biker wrote:
Ino this is bad but i never told them Rolleyes its still going strong tho after the powdercoat it wasnt even noticable and i actualy totaly forgot! wasnt to pissed to be ohnest it was only around the top of the seat tube would of liked to have been told myself when i brought it

Wow stupid if you asked me. You were pissed when you found out and then you sell it and you to don't tell the buyer... People these days.

Posted: Oct 18, 2008 at 13:15 Quote
Graphxxx wrote:
sam4412 wrote:
bc-biker wrote:

Wow stupid if you asked me. You were pissed when you found out and then you sell it and you to don't tell the buyer... People these days.

TO be ohnest i wasnt to botherd because the welds looks good and turned out to be he was well chuffed with the frame, fall all he noes i never new, im a ohnest seller but im not loosing out on money when its perfectly fine, now if it was shit welds i wouldnt have even had the frame painted never mind sell it

FL
Posted: Oct 18, 2008 at 13:28 Quote
sam4412 wrote:

TO be ohnest i wasnt to botherd because the welds looks good and turned out to be he was well chuffed with the frame, fall all he noes i never new, im a ohnest seller but im not loosing out on money when its perfectly fine, now if it was shit welds i wouldnt have even had the frame painted never mind sell it

bigquoteseven tho they looked crappy

Something doesn't add up here. You just contradicted yourself MASSIVELY. You are just as bad as the seller who the OP bought the repaired frame from, if Orange actually said that the welds were safe, then I'm sure you would have no problem telling the buyer that it had be rewelded. But because you thought it was unsafe you thought it would be best to pass this danger onto someone else, just because this is what happened to you. This sort of ridiculous attitude will get nobody anywhere.

Posted: Oct 18, 2008 at 14:11 Quote
sam4412 wrote:
bc-biker wrote:
You definatly deserve to get kicked off this site for doing this. If you had said that the frame was re-welded in your ad NO ONE would have bought that frame, AND YOU KNOW THAT!!! You should have told him it was re-welded and if you are lying about sending it back to Orange (which I personally think you are) you could have killed somebody.

Mod
Posted: Oct 18, 2008 at 14:16 Quote
People buy stuff all the time if the price is right or you are including lots of parts at a bargain price regardless of if it is cracked or dented.

O+
Posted: Oct 18, 2008 at 15:37 Quote
I will say this again: THERE IS NO GUARANTEE OF QUALITY WHEN BUYING ITEMS ONLINE! That's what bike shops are for. Shops sell you items for as cheap as we can, and will guarantee the quality of them. Sorry, dude, you got screwed, but you brought it on yourself.
None of this "kick him off PB" shit. He saw a business opportunity and took it. End of story.

O+
Posted: Oct 18, 2008 at 19:59 Quote
dkidd wrote:
I will say this again: THERE IS NO GUARANTEE OF QUALITY WHEN BUYING ITEMS ONLINE! That's what bike shops are for. Shops sell you items for as cheap as we can, and will guarantee the quality of them. Sorry, dude, you got screwed, but you brought it on yourself.
None of this "kick him off PB" shit. He saw a business opportunity and took it. End of story.

The principles of Caveat Emptor apply, unless the buyer was misled in the nature of the product being sold. Its not really clear what kind of disclosure should have been made in this situation. Maybe the guy thought he just had the frame repaired as it should have been. If I sold you a bike with a patched tube I wouldn't necessarily bring it up.

Personally I agree that the seller shouldnt be kicked off PB, or kicked in the nuts daily, or kicked in general. It is a good lesson to not buy re-painted sketchy frames, dont buy sight unseen on the internet, and if you want warranty then support your LBS 'cause thats what they're there for.

O+
Posted: Oct 19, 2008 at 15:49 Quote
I guess one of the reasons I started this thread was to see what people had to say about the situation. I know I can't expect much good from the situation but I did hope for some honesty and integrity from the seller, especially one that is pretty much local and who rides the same trails and visits the same shops. By some of the posts it looks like there is a lot of bitter people on here who won't buy online and I can see why. What it comes down to for me is that it was dishonest (some of you seem to think that is fine which is scary) and that it could be dangerous. I personally couldn't sell something like that and feel good about it.

Posted: Oct 19, 2008 at 16:45 Quote
You said he was semi local, so I assume you dealt face to face? If this is the case, march over to his place, even if it is a little bit of a trek, and confront him. He simply can not say no to your face, or at the verry least, you are much more likely to get a little money out of him.

You have to remember that a good looking weld is not necessarily a strong weld, and a shatty looking weld is not always a bad weld. I have seen weld look like dog crap that are stronger than welds that look like stacked dimes.

Definitally go and confront him, it's the only way you will actually get somewhere with this.

O+
Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 18:48 Quote
I assume you had tried talking to him. If so, what happened?

If only everyone was honest ...

Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 12:42 Quote
Do you know where they live?

Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 13:00 Quote
I am sorry to hear about your situation, however LEGALLY you don't have a hope, it is YOUR (the buyers) responsibility to examine the goods being sold and ask SPECIFIC questions i.e IF you had asked if it had been re-welded and painted and the seller had said NO then you have a case for misrepresentation.

In future, and this applies to everyone on here, ask questions of your seller, ask if there is any repairs to the item and keep the responses, if you then find the seller has lied you have a civil case (will never get to court, any Lawyer will settle if you have proof) and quite possibly a criminal case (Fraud).

Again I am sorry to hear this happened to you, maybe call a few local engineering workshops and see if someone can re weld the frame properly for you, shouldn't cost too much.

Morally the seller was wrong, but who has perfect morals in todays society? (if they did I would be out of a job!!)

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015233
Mobile Version of Website