Rocky Mountain Slayer Broken Frame - Photos Updated!

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Rocky Mountain Slayer Broken Frame - Photos Updated!
Posted: Jun 10, 2009 at 7:57 Quote
[Quote="thrice"]lefrog: No problem. It happened the same with mine. It was off some stupid step. So it was obviously cracked before too. Funny how they broke in the exact same place.

-----
to Rocky's defense....that really is a super bike and i gotta say that i was pretty hard on her this year...

and yes....its funny(in a way cause im far from laughing today) the pics are really similar... :-)

thanks to you to, your comments were helpfull

Posted: Jun 10, 2009 at 7:58 Quote
hustler wrote:
thrice wrote:
lefrog: No problem. It happened the same with mine. It was off some stupid step. So it was obviously cracked before too. Funny how they broke in the exact same place.

tyreburningbiker: I also put a 40 on my Slayer at some point. It really didn´t rake it too much. Pictures are on my profile. Now it has an 180mm Marzo 66 and I do downhill with it. The angles are a bit slacker because of it.

The bike has broken twice since I had longer a longer fork on it. Don´t know if its because of the fork or not. I know hustler claims longer than recomended forks only make for failures in the head tube, but when the angles on a bike are pushed back, stress is placed on places where it did not have it before. For example the seat tube. With a bigger fork its leaned back a bit more, therefore your weight puts more leverage on it than when it was straighter up with steeper angles.

Still, to be fair, the bike has worked perfectly for 6 months. The aluminum of the new rear swingarm and new front triangle are definetly stronger and thicker. It can be felt right away. And they gave me Slayer SXC stickers Razz

Edit: My bike shop says its just a matter of time before it brakes again and suggest that I sell it and get a new bike, but I like how it rides too much. I guess I will just ride it till it brakes. We´ll see.

I have seen a few crack there, I think its design rather than the fork length.

The new Flatlines are much lighter than the older style ones and might be worth a look.

I know they are awesome. But I am an all mountain guy. I ride my bike on average 4 days a week. Three of those rides consist of 1 hour climbs. And I mean constant climbs. So I need a rig that can allow me to get my seat high and has acceptable climbing angles. My ride is in the limit I think. I also downhill race it and free ride it some. So, it really does seem like a perfect bike.

I´ve got some money saved up, and I´m really torn between getting a new frame or new parts. I´ve been looking at bikes like the Reign X, but I don´t think it will be any different. One thing I´ve learned is that all bikes break.

O+
Posted: Jun 10, 2009 at 8:02 Quote
"I have seen a few crack there, I think its design rather than the fork length. What fork went on it as a replacement? Dealing with Rocky Mtn in Canada means sending the broken part or frame back to Rocky where they take a look at it and assess the validity of a warranty claim. Since they will never see the complete bike you can only present the care and maintenance of the frame through its' general cleanliness and appearance. Peel off all the non-factory stickers too. They won't send a pink swingarm or anything like that - usually replacement ones are black, if not the factory colour.

Thrice: The new Flatlines are much lighter than the older style ones and might be worth a look. I was pleasantly surprised by the weight."

I fixed my previous post so it's a little more descriptive ...

Thrice, I know what you mean. The lighter AM bikes will eventually break with DH riding, it's almost a fact.

Posted: Jun 10, 2009 at 8:08 Quote
They won't send a pink swingarm or anything like that - usually replacement ones are black, if not the factory colour.

----------

awwwww i dont want a black one....Mad

do you know if i could pay the difference on a higher end model..such as the SS, 2009 slayer sxc 70 or SE, flatline or any other model...?
like i said i would like to upgrade the rear shock...and that model does not let me put a shock with a piggyback

O+
Posted: Jun 10, 2009 at 8:10 Quote
Maybe, if you ask the shop to relay that information to RM they might offer an upgrade system. I wouldn't rule it out, they don't want you to keep breaking frames!

Posted: Jun 10, 2009 at 8:16 Quote
lefrog101 wrote:
They won't send a pink swingarm or anything like that - usually replacement ones are black, if not the factory colour.

----------

awwwww i dont want a black one....Mad

do you know if i could pay the difference on a higher end model..such as the SS, 2009 slayer sxc 70 or SE, flatline or any other model...?
like i said i would like to upgrade the rear shock...and that model does not let me put a shock with a piggyback

Go ahead and ask them or ask your dealer to ask them. I always thought I should have done it. I wanted an all black front triangle. But since there where tons of issues I decided to just be happy with them sending it back.

I know the parts are not painted. They have to paint them. Thats what took so long on my first warranty.

And if you do get the SS I will be so jealous! I have to deal with the Float RP3 in the back. No coil w/reservoir or air w/reservoir options!

But try it. Although I suggest you ask about it once they have approved your warranty, you don´t want them thinking it was on purpose. But Im pretty sure they will approve. I bet theyve seen tons of frames broken in that exact same place, they just act like they havent lol.

Posted: Jun 10, 2009 at 8:34 Quote
just got of the phone with Mr McLaren from the Vancouver office, great service...i called him to get a bit of infos and i think i will not have any problems getting the same blue rear triangle....he told me that there is a lot of chances that the whole frame would be changed...and there would be the possibility to upgrade the frame...

Posted: Jun 11, 2009 at 7:53 Quote
quick update,

Rocky will send me a replacement rear triangle....they asked me if i wanted it blue or white...i chose white, think it will look good......my lbs should receive it in the next 10 days...
photo

Posted: Jun 11, 2009 at 9:14 Quote
Thats great to hear! And yeah, white will look pretty nice since the fork is white. Post some pictures when its on.

Posted: Jun 25, 2009 at 9:56 Quote
she's back !!...took 11 days to get the part from Rocky...got her back on St-Jean baptiste day, the Québec national holiday, look up the Québec flag...this is now the official Québec bike...

did not have a chance yet to break her in....just went for a little ride...sqeaks a lot...gotta say that it looks pretty nice...she's one of a kind now...ill keep u posted

photo

Posted: Jun 25, 2009 at 10:14 Quote
mountainbiker709 wrote:
no afence but this is why i would never buy a rocky mountain they always break i know a 40 year old guy (my english teacher) who broke his 03 swich and i wasn't a bad bike 3 other friends of his all bought the same bike and did the same thing and now he says never buy a rocky

My 05 Rocky Mountain flow has been brilliant, its seen allot of abuse and is still in perfect condition, so I wouldn't go judging Rocky on one model of bike.

Posted: Jun 25, 2009 at 12:16 Quote
Sweet mr Frog, glad it worked out more smoothly than Thrice's ordeal!

Posted: Jun 25, 2009 at 13:58 Quote
I´m so glad too. And the rear white swing arm looks so much better than the blue. Enjoy it.

Also, I´ve been thinking about it. I bought the bike, August 2006. It broke around November 2007. Thats 15 months. Got it back sometime in December. Broke again August 2008. Thats 8 monhts. Averaged out, thats 11.5 months. I got it back sometime in September I´m predicting the bike will break again sometime in August, give or take a couple months. Eek Shit, I´m already in the zone. I need to save some cash to buy a Giant Reign X frame.

O+
Posted: Jun 25, 2009 at 14:36 Quote
thrice wrote:
I´m so glad too. And the rear white swing arm looks so much better than the blue. Enjoy it.

Also, I´ve been thinking about it. I bought the bike, August 2006. It broke around November 2007. Thats 15 months. Got it back sometime in December. Broke again August 2008. Thats 8 monhts. Averaged out, thats 11.5 months. I got it back sometime in September I´m predicting the bike will break again sometime in August, give or take a couple months. Eek Shit, I´m already in the zone. I need to save some cash to buy a Giant Reign X frame.
+1! just wondering but r u thinking about buying the 2010 frame that comes out in a few months or the older style ('07-'09)

Posted: Jul 1, 2009 at 0:35 Quote
Internetbiker wrote:
mountainbiker709 wrote:
no afence but this is why i would never buy a rocky mountain they always break i know a 40 year old guy (my english teacher) who broke his 03 swich and i wasn't a bad bike 3 other friends of his all bought the same bike and did the same thing and now he says never buy a rocky

My 05 Rocky Mountain flow has been brilliant, its seen allot of abuse and is still in perfect condition, so I wouldn't go judging Rocky on one model of bike.

"perfect" mr C?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.043406
Mobile Version of Website