The Home of Heavy Artillery... At Home (aka, gun lovers thread)

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
The Home of Heavy Artillery... At Home (aka, gun lovers thread)
Posted: Apr 26, 2016 at 6:43 Quote
marxthekittah wrote:
chaserider wrote:
marxthekittah wrote:

Nice dude!!
Wanted to go sight in my 770 this weekend with some guys from the bike shop since I finally got ammo, but other things for ski team and school got in the way and weather looks shitty anyways. Have to wait till schools out I guess.

Thanks!

What ammo did you score? It was a .308 winchester, right?
Sure is. Got some cheaper Federal Power Shok. Only thing is I can't figure and forgot to ask what grain it is, as the site has both 180gr and 150gr for it.
Seems not too bad for .308, albeit pretty slow, only 2570 fps at the muzzle.

Should show the grain right on the box. I need to get out and sight in my .22, hoping I mounted the scope well enough. Local rifle range is closed for maintenance.

Posted: Apr 26, 2016 at 6:49 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
What make is your AR? Piston or DI?

Definitely a DI. It was a low budget build for that gun. Cheap mid level stuff was used, because I know it was going to be a gun that got beat up.

Posted: Apr 26, 2016 at 7:02 Quote
therealtylerdurden wrote:
chaserider wrote:
So, I went for a test drive in a BMW 118i today. While I was out driving I stopped by a local gun smith and left the barrel from my Sauer there to be threaded so that I can use my suppressor on it.
Oh, and before I even managed to get back home, the sales guy at BMW called back and said I was approved for the lease on a 118i M-Sport, I will go back and sign the papers tomorrow. Things are good...

Congrats! I miss my ex-gf's 325i, it was a fun car. The 1 series's have dual clutch trannies?

Im acctually not sure, I think the regular 6-speed manual trannie is a single clutch. But I could be wrong. It was a lot of fun to drive none the less. More than a few cuts above the VW golf I drive at work sometimes.

Posted: Apr 26, 2016 at 7:33 Quote
StUone7 wrote:
marxthekittah wrote:
chaserider wrote:

Thanks!

What ammo did you score? It was a .308 winchester, right?
Sure is. Got some cheaper Federal Power Shok. Only thing is I can't figure and forgot to ask what grain it is, as the site has both 180gr and 150gr for it.
Seems not too bad for .308, albeit pretty slow, only 2570 fps at the muzzle.

Should show the grain right on the box. I need to get out and sight in my .22, hoping I mounted the scope well enough. Local rifle range is closed for maintenance.
Will have to look over it again. Didn't see it when I've looked at it today.

Posted: Apr 26, 2016 at 7:51 Quote
Just looked at it again. How was I that stupid to not see it? Yep, 180gr Soft points.

Posted: Apr 26, 2016 at 8:28 Quote
Have fun with those haha. Grab some 150gr Remington Core Lokts next.

Posted: Apr 26, 2016 at 8:52 Quote
StUone7 wrote:
Just looked em up. Pretty damn cheap round. Probably will pick up these for my next box. Not like I'll be shooting the gun that much anyways though. Basically just sight it in and call it good for the most part, maybe some fun shooting with it once or twice a year.

Posted: Apr 26, 2016 at 10:14 Quote
chaserider wrote:
Im acctually not sure, I think the regular 6-speed manual trannie is a single clutch. But I could be wrong. It was a lot of fun to drive none the less. More than a few cuts above the VW golf I drive at work sometimes.

Only automatics are dual clutch. I'd personally prefer the manual, but a dct automatic would be a big step up over a plain ol auto for sure! And I gotta say, I've never liked 1 series's, or the old M-sports, but that new M-sport looks the business!

marxthekittah wrote:
Just looked em up. Pretty damn cheap round. Probably will pick up these for my next box. Not like I'll be shooting the gun that much anyways though. Basically just sight it in and call it good for the most part, maybe some fun shooting with it once or twice a year.

Where you planning on shooting?

Posted: Apr 26, 2016 at 10:30 Quote
ZenkiS14 wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:

Definitely a DI. It was a low budget build for that gun. Cheap mid level stuff was used, because I know it was going to be a gun that got beat up.

I have the beginning of a lightweight AR build that I'll sell you Wink Pencil profile 16" barrel, SLR Rifleworks Solo Ultralight 16" rail, and a bunch of titanium V7 components. I need to get a new Tallboy 3 so my lightweight build goes on indefinite hiatus.

Posted: Apr 26, 2016 at 11:01 Quote
chaserider wrote:

Only automatics are dual clutch. I'd personally prefer the manual, but a dct automatic would be a big step up over a plain ol auto for sure! And I gotta say, I've never liked 1 series's, or the old M-sports, but that new M-sport looks the business!

marxthekittah wrote:

Where you planning on shooting?
Nothing living, thats for sure. Just target shooting mainly. Will get a .300 RUM at some point, too for longer distance shit. This gun will be my mid distance shooter, with my shotgun being a short range and .22 being a shorter mid range gun.

Posted: Apr 26, 2016 at 11:30 Quote
chaserider wrote:

I see, well then I was on the right track!
I have mixed feelings for the BMW 1 series, but it feels more than ok to drive and its decently priced, atleast comparing to what I am able to spend on my salary. In the end it fills it's purpose and it does so with a bit of style.

Posted: Apr 26, 2016 at 11:45 Quote
ZenkiS14 wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:

What gas length etc? I did an 18" rifle length with nothing fancy components and didn't have a single issue. Do you know your gas block is aligned perfectly? I've seen a couple people have that issue.

Posted: Apr 26, 2016 at 11:52 Quote
marxthekittah wrote:
StUone7 wrote:

Yup, fine round for just shooting around. I have a few boxes of them for .30-30, and have already shot a few boxes of them. Don't seem to be too dirty of a round either. No need to spend money on more expensive ammo unless you get into competition shooting really.

Posted: Apr 26, 2016 at 12:07 Quote
marxthekittah wrote:
Nothing living, thats for sure. Just target shooting mainly. Will get a .300 RUM at some point, too for longer distance shit. This gun will be my mid distance shooter, with my shotgun being a short range and .22 being a shorter mid range gun.

I mean, where, as in, shooting range, national forest, grassland/prairie, etc? The reason I ask, is in AZ, it's a fairly hefty fine to target shoot on state trust land, whereas hunting is 100% legal there. If you shoot anywhere other than a range, be sure to study up the laws, and get yourself a land use map. You don't want to assume that just because there's open land with no 'no trespassing' and no 'no shooting' signs, that you're allowed to target shoot there.

chaserider wrote:
I see, well then I was on the right track!
I have mixed feelings for the BMW 1 series, but it feels more than ok to drive and its decently priced, atleast comparing to what I am able to spend on my salary. In the end it fills it's purpose and it does so with a bit of style.

Hell yeah! I've always felt they had really awkward proportions, like they shrunk a 3 or 5 series and it just came out looking wrong. I bet it drives similiar to a Miata for that very reason, though, just perfectly balanced and fun as hell. That M-sport looks really damn good though, no awkwardness at all! What where your misgivings as far as buying it?

Edit: I said I didn't like the old M-sports, I meant the old M coupes.

Posted: Apr 26, 2016 at 13:41 Quote
ZenkiS14 wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:

Check the alignment on your gas block to make sure your getting full pressure and then soak the BCG in lube, like sloppy wet. Especially when they're new and tolerances haven't broken in yet, DI rifles work best wet.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011214
Mobile Version of Website