Powered by Outside

Carbon wheelset for enduro

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Carbon wheelset for enduro
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Jan 31, 2020 at 14:34 Quote
Hey everyone, looking to pick up a new wheel set for the upcoming season and I'm having a hard time deciding on which brand to go with. I'm most likely going to be going with either Hydra hubs or Onyx vespers, haven't fully decided yet.

So far I've looked at:

Nobl TR38s - If Phil Kmetz can ride these and not ruin them, I think they will suit me very well, plus their crash replacement is reasonable at 50%.

WeAreOne Unions - Would be supporting a small company and they have a great warranty.

Derby - Good crash replacement, rims look good.

Anyone have any experiences with any of these rims or have a wheel set they recommend?

Posted: Jan 31, 2020 at 16:07 Quote
Santa Cruz Reserves? Lifetime warranty. Took quite a bit of work for Danny to destroy one. You have a choice of hubs.

O+
Posted: Jan 31, 2020 at 16:18 Quote
gmoss wrote:
Santa Cruz Reserves? Lifetime warranty. Took quite a bit of work for Danny to destroy one. You have a choice of hubs.

They're a little more than what I'd like to spend but the warranty would be great

Posted: Jan 31, 2020 at 17:00 Quote
I got lucky and bought mine on sale.

Posted: Feb 1, 2020 at 10:58 Quote
Habaden wrote:
gmoss wrote:

They're a little more than what I'd like to spend but the warranty would be great

Depending on how hard you ride and in what terrain the phrase "buy nice or buy twice" might be more like "buy nice or buy six times". If you have to replace carbon rims on your own dime that upfront cost won't seem like much in short order. I'm a bigger rider who makes poor line choices, so that may not apply.

Posted: Feb 1, 2020 at 12:01 Quote
Two of your three choices are made by the same Asian company. Nothing wrong with that, but be aware it's a false choice.

I suggest Light Bicycle or Yishun for good products at the lowest prices or We Are One for supporting the community and the lifetime warranty - and not that much more expensive.

Posted: Feb 2, 2020 at 8:33 Quote
We Are One. Frankly for the minor price bump over a nice alloy set combined with the fact that they are amazing rims with a spectacular warranty, I don't know why everyone doesn't run Agents. Which brings me to my next question:

Why are you not riding them already? Stop right now, go collect your pesos, and place an order.

Right. Now.

Edit: To fully address your question...

We Are One: recently bought some Unions and will also be purchasing a set of Insiders this summer. Fast becoming the only rims I want to run

Nobl: expensive, decent. I think the story goes, Dustin learned a lot there and then opened We Are One, that should tell you something.

Derby: they're great, IFF you really want plus size tires. Been running the trail version on my 26+ endurbro and apparently they're f___ing indestructible. The gel coat is a tad garbage on these and mine look like they got attacked by rabid wolverine

Posted: Feb 2, 2020 at 8:37 Quote
HaggeredShins wrote:
I don't know why everyone doesn't run Agents.

Because the Convert exists!

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 3, 2020 at 6:00 Quote
HaggeredShins wrote:
We Are One. Frankly for the minor price bump over a nice alloy set combined with the fact that they are amazing rims with a spectacular warranty, I don't know why everyone doesn't run Agents.

Unfortunately, the Agents are discontinued. I picked up a set last month thankfully. I figured that deal was too good to last. I'd still probably pick WAO if I were buying another set because the quality and customer service is so good.

Posted: Feb 3, 2020 at 16:35 Quote
jeremy3220 wrote:
HaggeredShins wrote:
We Are One. Frankly for the minor price bump over a nice alloy set combined with the fact that they are amazing rims with a spectacular warranty, I don't know why everyone doesn't run Agents.

Unfortunately, the Agents are discontinued. I picked up a set last month thankfully. I figured that deal was too good to last. I'd still probably pick WAO if I were buying another set because the quality and customer service is so good.

Dammit you're right, and the Insiders too!!

Too bad, under 1k for a set of top-tier wheels was pretty much an unparalleled bargain. Guess I'll be snapping up a couple more sets from whoever is still lacing them before they disappear.

Posted: Feb 3, 2020 at 17:04 Quote
I had a set of the Agents. Great company and the rims held up to some sharp rock strikes and flying limestone without any damage, other than the decals. Very stiff, though. I see them as part of the "second generation" of carbon rims:

Generation 1: Unreliable.
Generation 2: Reliable, but noticeably harsh and may be more likely to damage tires.
Generation 3: Better ride quality than aluminum rims in every way and may be less likely to damage tires.

The new product line from We Are One may move them into the third generation.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 4, 2020 at 6:30 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
I had a set of the Agents. Great company and the rims held up to some sharp rock strikes and flying limestone without any damage, other than the decals. Very stiff, though. I see them as part of the "second generation" of carbon rims:

Generation 1: Unreliable.
Generation 2: Reliable, but noticeably harsh and may be more likely to damage tires.
Generation 3: Better ride quality than aluminum rims in every way and may be less likely to damage tires.

The new product line from We Are One may move them into the third generation.

I didn't notice any harshness compared to the alloy ARC30 set I swap back and forth on the same bike.

Posted: Feb 4, 2020 at 9:18 Quote
Sixth Elements on whichever hubs you would like.
Stealth graphics (they are not decals) are really nice. Very strong wheels and great customer service.

FL
Posted: Feb 5, 2020 at 3:09 Quote
Any thoughts on running different size rims front and back such as 28h 30iw front and 32h 27iw For the rear

Posted: Feb 5, 2020 at 4:57 Quote
by Bontys line comp 30s have been indestructible so far

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010042
Mobile Version of Website