Powered by Outside

How long do cushcore last ?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
How long do cushcore last ?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 10:10 Quote
so those inserts are super expensive, how long do they last on average ? One season, 2...3 ? I ride 3 times a week at least

FL
Posted: Feb 24, 2020 at 2:45 Quote
Charlotroy wrote:
so those inserts are super expensive, how long do they last on average ? One season, 2...3 ? I ride 3 times a week at least

They are foam so they don't break or wear out, even if you dent a rim they are re-usable. I would think they would last years

Posted: Feb 24, 2020 at 6:08 Quote
Really depends on how much pressure you run and how hard you ride. If you are rarely hitting sharp edges that would impact the insert then they should last a very long time (years). The only way I would consider them worn out and unusable would be if they dried out and started cracking or if you had many hard hits in the same section that essentially make a large whole or tear from pinching.

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 4:54 Quote
On my bike about 10 miles. Felt weird, steering seemed off and I tore them out. Rotating mass = bad.

FL
Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 6:37 Quote
Has anyone tried the xc version of these? How do they feel? I would only use it in the rear tire

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 8:05 Quote
gnarcissistictendency wrote:
Has anyone tried the xc version of these? How do they feel? I would only use it in the rear tire

Pretty good. There's definitely a difference in damping and support. If you're not riding lift access DH a lot or using a Double Down or DH tire then I'd go CCXC over the Pro.

O+
Posted: Oct 12, 2021 at 11:18 Quote
They absolutely wear out. Ride Snowshoe and it will be sooner than later. every nick you see is a hole all the way through waiting to ruin your rim.
#wveatsbikes

Posted: Oct 12, 2021 at 11:30 Quote
WVMtbiker1964 wrote:
They absolutely wear out. Ride Snowshoe and it will be sooner than later. every nick you see is a hole all the way through waiting to ruin your rim.
#wveatsbikes

Less than a season of dh riding while running dh tires. Essentially doubled the price of my tires…

O+
Posted: Oct 12, 2021 at 17:46 Quote
Whole season in the park in whis in my DH bike, cushcore still looks new. So does my wheel. Worth every penny.

FL
Posted: Oct 14, 2021 at 14:06 Quote
CushCore Pro lasted me approx 2 seasons and they were pretty beat by the end... definitely a wear item. They had tons of cuts and gashes from rims... didn't have nearly the protection by the end. Still good support though.

Tried out Cushcore XC... stupid for full on enduro riding, they're just expensive rim protection, zero sidewall support and still a bitch to deal with and expensive. They seemed to get cut up even faster and I swapped them out after a couple months of riding.

Tannus Tubeless Armour inserts are amazing. Cheaper, way lighter and wayyyyy easier to deal with and install than Cushcore pro. Same rim protection and almost the same sidewall support (little less). Only downside compared to CC pro is that they don't have the same ride flat ability as CC pro. I've been running a set for 2 full seasons now and they are showing zero wear... it's crazy... not sure how long they'll last but I love them.

O+
Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 14:53 Quote
I was at sea otter and talked to the rep and he said that if you can basically slide the insert along the rim with it installed on the rim, then it's time for a new one.

I didn't know that. Been rocking the same set since 2019 that's been on 2 bikes now. They have a good amount of small slices in them from hard hits and etc, but still seem to hold up fine so idk how much I buy that?
I can see if they were super loose and flop around on the rim that you should get a new set, but mine are still pretty taught on the rim after all this time

Although I did remove them and went to tannus inserts for the sake of weight savings. the CC are definitely heavier.

Took a while to get used to the ride of them too. Lots more sidewall support so you can't really fold over the tire hard in corners like you can without inserts

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 21, 2022 at 22:01 Quote
They wear out Frown
I've gone through 3 CC Pro's now on the rear wheel of my Process 153, riding 2-3 days a week on the Shore and Sea to Sky and the 4 or 5 bike trips per year. So it's a lot of riding, a bajillion rocks and roots and corners shralped.
I think the CC rep above was right.
In each instance, if I had to change the rear tire (about once every 8 or 9 months) and the CC was able to slide freely on the rim, the rim tape would be worn into the center channel of the rim and air and sealant would leak out of the spoke holes in the rim. I've used Gorilla tape for the past 10 years on all my tubeless setups with no problems until I started using CC.
It was a monster pita to come to this realization too because it was a painstaking trial and error of trying to figure out why the tire (wheel? at this point) wasn't holding air.
I uninstalled and reinstalled the rim tape, CC, and tire and on my 4th attempt I was surgically placing the tape so it made it right to the inner sidewalls of the rim on both sides, I picked off every piece of dried tape glue from the rim and polished it clean with rubbing alcohol, every use of the tire lever was done so it never contacted the tape at all, I also ensured I moved the actual CC as little as physically possible so as not to budge the rim tape. I went for another ride, once again halfway through the tire would be losing air. So I surgically removed the tire because I had a hunch the rim tape was being pushed by the loose, wiggling CC. I pried up one of the tire beads and looked under the CC and lo and behold the rim tape was all pushed to the center channel.
So my conclusion was that it wears out, and I could only find one instance of this same thing happening to someone else on the interwebs aside from the CC rep's comments above. Now I'm sad because I'll be spending tomorrow night reinstalling a brand new CC because it's all I can probably get before a big trip this weekend Frown

Posted: Jun 22, 2022 at 12:05 Quote
I recommend Tannus armour tubeless, I mean they perform great but you can notice the extra rotating mass slightly on the steering as has been said, the bike just feels a bit less agile so I imagine at double the weight Cushcore will feel noticeably worse. They do offer great sidewall support and reduce trail feedback and allow lower pressures though. They still aren't super easy to install though that may be because I was using crappy tyre levers with tyres that had really tough beads to get on as it is so the Tannus just made it that much harder to mount...I don't know how anyone in the world can mount a Cushcore into wire beaded DH casing tyres. My first attempt with wonky tyre levers and dh casing tyre took me over 2 hrs to try get the bead fully on with the tannus using plenty of soapy water and sweating with frustration I snapped a tyre lever too. With exo casing tyre and stronger levers it was much much easier though still harder than without an insert. With dh tyre, cushcore and no soapy water I don't think it would even be possible, anyone that has done it must be a god.

FL
Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 8:27 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
I recommend Tannus armour tubeless, I mean they perform great but you can notice the extra rotating mass slightly on the steering as has been said, the bike just feels a bit less agile so I imagine at double the weight Cushcore will feel noticeably worse. They do offer great sidewall support and reduce trail feedback and allow lower pressures though. They still aren't super easy to install though that may be because I was using crappy tyre levers with tyres that had really tough beads to get on as it is so the Tannus just made it that much harder to mount...I don't know how anyone in the world can mount a Cushcore into wire beaded DH casing tyres. My first attempt with wonky tyre levers and dh casing tyre took me over 2 hrs to try get the bead fully on with the tannus using plenty of soapy water and sweating with frustration I snapped a tyre lever too. With exo casing tyre and stronger levers it was much much easier though still harder than without an insert. With dh tyre, cushcore and no soapy water I don't think it would even be possible, anyone that has done it must be a god.

Weird... I find I can install Tannus without even dumping my sealant.. can just break a single bead and stuff it in and around. On a fresh wheel and tire, adds like 5 mins to a wheel setup. This is with the EXO+ (older and new version). Don't find I need DH or even DD with an insert.

So, so, so much easier to deal with than cushcore. I've also been running the same set for 3 years now with no wear. My previous CushCore pros were done after about a season and a half of hard riding.... think I rode them for a full two seasons though.

FL
Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 8:29 Quote
chubby5000 wrote:
They wear out Frown
I've gone through 3 CC Pro's now on the rear wheel of my Process 153, riding 2-3 days a week on the Shore and Sea to Sky and the 4 or 5 bike trips per year. So it's a lot of riding, a bajillion rocks and roots and corners shralped.
I think the CC rep above was right.
In each instance, if I had to change the rear tire (about once every 8 or 9 months) and the CC was able to slide freely on the rim, the rim tape would be worn into the center channel of the rim and air and sealant would leak out of the spoke holes in the rim. I've used Gorilla tape for the past 10 years on all my tubeless setups with no problems until I started using CC.
It was a monster pita to come to this realization too because it was a painstaking trial and error of trying to figure out why the tire (wheel? at this point) wasn't holding air.
I uninstalled and reinstalled the rim tape, CC, and tire and on my 4th attempt I was surgically placing the tape so it made it right to the inner sidewalls of the rim on both sides, I picked off every piece of dried tape glue from the rim and polished it clean with rubbing alcohol, every use of the tire lever was done so it never contacted the tape at all, I also ensured I moved the actual CC as little as physically possible so as not to budge the rim tape. I went for another ride, once again halfway through the tire would be losing air. So I surgically removed the tire because I had a hunch the rim tape was being pushed by the loose, wiggling CC. I pried up one of the tire beads and looked under the CC and lo and behold the rim tape was all pushed to the center channel.
So my conclusion was that it wears out, and I could only find one instance of this same thing happening to someone else on the interwebs aside from the CC rep's comments above. Now I'm sad because I'll be spending tomorrow night reinstalling a brand new CC because it's all I can probably get before a big trip this weekend Frown

Dude... time to move over to Tannus Tubeless Armour.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013573
Mobile Version of Website