Powered by Outside

Transition Spire - new long travel 29er

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spire - new long travel 29er
O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2024 at 7:14 Quote
Fighting weight is a losing battle on a frame like the spire, but I also have big ass climbs. So the little places I find to drop a half pound I try to. MEZZER is sick. I’ve made the swap from full Cush core to dh casing to see how my terrain eats these tires. It’s rocky here and the Cush core has allowed me to ride out multiple times from slashed sidewallls. Bikes are fun, spires are super fun. Taking this lovely geometry and turning a heavy ish frame into an all mountain type bike is just my kinda stupid.

Posted: Mar 27, 2024 at 7:40 Quote
niconj wrote:
maximumradness wrote:
That’s not to bad for any spire out there, least of all the alloy frame

Different wheels (Pi_Rope Advanced are 200gr. lighter still), different fork (Manitou Mezzer Pro) and some bits and pieces and I'd be scratching the 14kg.

I don't care that much about the weight though as I rode a Deviate Claymore the other day and it was nicer to ride than the Spire being 800gr. heavier. I bought a +1.5° headset to have almost the same geo as the Claymore. I'm really curious how this rides.

Was looking at a Claymore. Thoughts between that and the Spire?

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2024 at 7:54 Quote
I haven’t ridden that bike.
My session has a mid pivot and it’s surprising how lively it is. So I’m not gonna fall for the cliches on the claymore.
The spire has proven to me that a bike can definitely be understood by geometry, but only so much.

Posted: Mar 27, 2024 at 10:19 Quote
I have ridden the Claymore a couple of rides and it feels more lively than the Spire while still being very capable. I have then looked at the geometry and found that +1.5° should do the trick. If that doesn't do it, well then... it's ok too.

The Spire is still a very capable bike with that kinda geometry change. Call it an all-mountain would be calling the Claymore an all-mountain, which is kinda stupid. Wink

photo

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2024 at 15:19 Quote
My take is that I’m building and using an enduro race bike a bit outside of its pervue and that’s ok with me .
I used to put droppers on dh bikes. And really use them too. It’s a problem I have….

The geometry of these new enduro race bikes, when executed just a smidge progressive, really does lend itself to a “heavy all mountain” build and experience( ie: steeper seat tube angles - and ironically longer stays?) .
SPIRE is absolutely OVERBIKEd for “trail riding” but my trails can get pretty zesty some days……..
I assumed (and have read) claymore is a very playful high pivot, so it’s cool to hear you think the same coming from SPIRE. I also think spire using Horst link does a good job of balancing some plow vs. some pedal vibes.
I’m Running a 36, eewings, and xtr cassette to keep her from pulling me back to earth to quickly. Lighter wheels are definitely in the cards too. But as a working dad, this is a bad ass daily driver that I plan to keep throwing good money after bad at for a few more years……

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2024 at 19:13 Quote
niconj wrote:
maximumradness wrote:

Different wheels (Pi_Rope Advanced are 200gr. lighter still), different fork (Manitou Mezzer Pro) and some bits and pieces and I'd be scratching the 14kg.

I don't care that much about the weight though as I rode a Deviate Claymore the other day and it was nicer to ride than the Spire being 800gr. heavier. I bought a +1.5° headset to have almost the same geo as the Claymore. I'm really curious how this rides.

beware of which fork you will use, as some dials can hit the downtube.. fox are very recessed, but DVOs with +1 degree are very close ..

Posted: Mar 27, 2024 at 21:40 Quote
niconj wrote:
maximumradness wrote:

Large alloy, nukeproof horizon wheels, sub 1kg tyres, Rockshox super deluxe air and manitou mezzer pro. Bike weights around 16.5kg( 17.2 with RS coil w/hbo) . I have the spire with +1 degree headset angle and the bike feels dialed. Much prefer it for where I ride. Will be interested to see how you setup the manitou mezzer fork(English subs if you make a video please!)

Posted: Mar 27, 2024 at 23:34 Quote
I run an EXT Era V2.1 fork which isn’t too bad. I might as well start with it and’s keep the EXT Aria too. Problem with the latter is that it needs an update as it seems to have some design flaw.

Posted: Apr 1, 2024 at 8:42 Quote
Coming together slowly. Smile

photo

O+
Posted: Apr 1, 2024 at 15:21 Quote
Looking sharp! Thanks for sharing!

Posted: Apr 1, 2024 at 22:48 Quote
Looks incredible. I may have to strip mine

Posted: Apr 4, 2024 at 3:45 Quote
Last post got deleted. Don't know why.

photo

photo

O+
Posted: Apr 4, 2024 at 8:49 Quote
Dang, that looks really good.

Posted: Apr 4, 2024 at 11:05 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:

Can't wait to see it built up. May even be in the sexiest thread (not boasting, just in love with my soon to come build).

O+
Posted: Apr 4, 2024 at 13:32 Quote
niconj wrote:
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:

Can't wait to see it built up. May even be in the sexiest thread (not boasting, just in love with my soon to come build).

me too!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012384
Mobile Version of Website