Powered by Outside

Ibis S35 wheels

Posted: Jan 5, 2020 at 21:49 Quote
Digarcia1987 wrote:
I’ve heard no mention as to the quality of the rim and hubs. How reliable, how strong are these wheels. How do they compare in compliance to other carbon rims. I’d like a carbon wheel with built in flex characteristics without sacrificing integrity.

Generally speaking, the lower the cross-section height of the rim, the more compliant it will be. The Ibis / Stan's is lower than most.

Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 2:43 Quote
Digarcia1987 wrote:
I’ve heard no mention as to the quality of the rim and hubs. How reliable, how strong are these wheels. How do they compare in compliance to other carbon rims. I’d like a carbon wheel with built in flex characteristics without sacrificing integrity.

I can only think on one magazine/website review I've seen? They loved the ride characteristics. They only hit Ibis for lack of hub engagement and maybe? price. VS the other wheels they were testing. (it was the Ibis branded hubs and not the i9's)

But agree that it doesn't seem like there are a lot of reviews and by now you'd think there would be more long term results out there? Later in summer release, but you'd think pubs would have had early samples to ride...? (or maybe not, I wouldn't want to purposefully put a prototype out for testing these days. Smile )

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 12:26 Quote
I have been riding the Ibis s35 al wheels since September with maxxis 2.5 assegai front HR2 rear with no issues with grip. To the contrary tires have been performing great. I would think that any 2.4’s would also work just fine on these wheels. The hubs do have a relatively slow engagement but they work great and the rims are as true as day one.

Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 21:05 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
stiingya wrote:
For sure Maxxis says the WT's are good for a 35IW. Just seem to read mixed results/opinions on the interewebs...?

A lot of companies say a lot of things; doesn't make it true. A new Maxxis 2.5" does work reasonably well on 35 mm rims. Tread is more flattened than I like to see, so I wouldn't fully trust it to hold maximum lean angles - not without adjusting my technique to reduce the angle of the bike, at any rate. Also, the sidewalls are slightly prominent of the tread, making them more vulnerable to cuts. I certainly wouldn't run a 2.4" on a 35 mm rim.

stiingya wrote:
I would think the other way for tread wrap? I'm more aware of what my front wheel is doing, VS I just don't have the skills to be aware of what my rear wheel is rolling into. Mostly anecdotal, but it seems like it's the rear wheel getting beat up more for me??? (not that I"d purposefully "want" less tread wrap on the front, which is why I wish they made a ~32.5IW. Just that I think the back gets more wear and tear...?

There's no amount of awareness that will save you if you lean beyond your lugs - you'll be on the ground before you even realized you were slipping. It's as if the trail suddenly turned to ice. The front wheel has a little more lean angle than the rear and - most importantly - there's a chance you can recover a rear wheel slide, but it's almost impossible to recover the front. It's something you want to avoid on either wheel, so we're arguing over which kind of nearly instantaneous crash is slightly worse!

Something we haven't discussed: I feel we should be riding really wide rims - much wider than current norms - to better support wide tires with light casings. Unfortunately, this isn't possible without a lot more tread wrap. I do want to encourage you to use wide rims, I just don't think it's safe to push it too far with current equipment.

Hmmm, people made the same "square tire profile" comments about putting 2.35's on 30IW rims. But it's VERY common now and I'm not having "instantaneous crashes" from it. Nor an increase in cut tires. Might look square without any weight on it, but when weighted and leaned over the tires gonna deform, especially since you can run lower pressure with the wider rim. So my guess is that shape isn't as much of a problem while being ridden? Course I"m not dragging my grips through corners... so YEMV?

The awareness I'm speaking of is that I think were all naturally better able to steer clear of obstacles with our front wheel. Ideally the rear wheel follows the same path, BUT often the front is already changing lines and so the back wheel seems to end up with a lot more unintentional smacks!

If lean angles are less on the rear than maybe Maxxis knows what it's doing offering smaller sized tires for the back?? At any rate, I as I pointed out before, I want a narrower rim for the back and was not planning to run the 2.4 on a 35IW. But I'd bet a lot of people do?

Posted: Jan 7, 2020 at 9:09 Quote
I'm just telling you what my test riders, others to whom I've spoke, and I have experienced. Of course a narrow tire on a wide rim won't cause a horrible crash on every single turn - many people will never experience it - nor is a sidewall slash imminent with every contact between tire and rock.

I'm just saying a little too much rim width for a specific tire can introduce the possibility that, in high-traction conditions, you can lean beyond the lugs before the tire would otherwise lose traction. If this happens on the front, it's likely to cause a particularly nasty and confidence-killing type of crash. I'm more cautious in my testing than some of my riders, so I've used questionable combinations only on the rear, which have never caused a crash, only sudden oversteer.

Here are the specific combinations that have caused it to happen to my riders and me:

• Vittoria Martello 2.6" on 36 mm
• WTB Breakout 2.5" on 35 mm
• WTB Trail Boss 2.4" on 35 mm

O+
Posted: Jan 7, 2020 at 17:38 Quote
I've been running ibis rims for 2 years now and can 100% confirm they are the strongest rims I've ever used.
The commenter who said they are rebranded stans rims are wrong, they just use the bead tech from stans to get a better seal.

I would without a doubt recommend s35s to pretty much anyone, they aren't heavy at all and have stood up to some pretty ridiculous abuse.

The stock ibis hubs aren't anything special but as long as you don't care about engagement they are totally fine.

Edit: just saw you were asking about the carbon rims, which I do not have experience on. I'll still leave this up because if the carbon rims are at least as durable as the alloy(which they should be stronger) then they should be a great choice.

O+
Posted: Jan 7, 2020 at 18:34 Quote
butters1996 wrote:
I've been running ibis rims for 2 years now and can 100% confirm they are the strongest rims I've ever used.
The commenter who said they are rebranded stans rims are wrong, they just use the bead tech from stans to get a better seal.

I would without a doubt recommend s35s to pretty much anyone, they aren't heavy at all and have stood up to some pretty ridiculous abuse.

The stock ibis hubs aren't anything special but as long as you don't care about engagement they are totally fine.

Edit: just saw you were asking about the carbon rims, which I do not have experience on. I'll still leave this up because if the carbon rims are at least as durable as the alloy(which they should be stronger) then they should be a great choice.

The wheels were built as a collaboration between Ibis and Stans, Ibis did not just simply license bead tech. If you have something that says otherwise I would be interested to see it.

O+
Posted: Jan 7, 2020 at 19:43 Quote
As an FYI, Ibis takes their web store offline after Christmas. looks like it came back up today and they have the s35 Carbon wheels w/I9 Hydra hubs for $1299, same price as the logo hub wheel set. So you are getting $700 worth of I9 hubs and upgraded CX Ray spokes for nearly free.
I would surely think this is an error on their web store, but a smoking deal if you are in the market for these wheels. I put my order in, we will see if it gets fulfilled.

O+
Posted: Jan 8, 2020 at 18:26 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
butters1996 wrote:

The wheels were built as a collaboration between Ibis and Stans, Ibis did not just simply license bead tech. If you have something that says otherwise I would be interested to see it.
Looks like you are correct, when I originally wrote this I assumed you were talking about the alloy rims. Which was obviously a mistake.

O+
Posted: Jan 12, 2020 at 4:35 Quote
Just got my S35 carbons set up yesterday and although the weather is crap and I haven’t had a chance to get them out yet, these are very nice wheels.
I picked up the 29 carbons w/I9 Hydra hubs and they appear very well constructed, super clean carbon layup and they are surprisingly light.
I was previously running Roval Traverse Carbon wheels with DT 350 hubs and that wheel set came in at nearly 2050g weight, the advertised weight is 1850g.

The s35s weighed in at 1690g and I believe the advertised weight is 1650g, around 3/4 lb of dropped weight from wheels will be a noticeable difference.
The Roval wheels have been great, but I was in the market for some high engagement hubs and these fell into my lap.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 12, 2020 at 7:09 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
Just got my S35 carbons set up yesterday and although the weather is crap and I haven’t had a chance to get them out yet, these are very nice wheels.
I picked up the 29 carbons w/I9 Hydra hubs and they appear very well constructed, super clean carbon layup and they are surprisingly light.
I was previously running Roval Traverse Carbon wheels with DT 350 hubs and that wheel set came in at nearly 2050g weight, the advertised weight is 1850g.

The s35s weighed in at 1690g and I believe the advertised weight is 1650g, around 3/4 lb of dropped weight from wheels will be a noticeable difference.
The Roval wheels have been great, but I was in the market for some high engagement hubs and these fell into my lap.

Did you get them fir $1299!!

O+
Posted: Jan 12, 2020 at 12:10 Quote
hartmd25 wrote:
Branmuffin wrote:

Did you get them fir $1299!!

Ha, yes they did fulfil the order and then promptly fixed the price the next morning.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 12, 2020 at 12:45 Quote
That’s awesome that they honored a clear mistake on their end.

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 19:25 Quote
I happen to have two sets of the Ibis s35's. (Long story). One set on my hardtail with 2.6's, one on my Ripmo with 2.5's. I've had a set of Ibis's 735's on my trail bike for three years with zero issues so had no problem going with the S35's.
I've had some pretty good hits with the hardtail at lower pressures that made me cringe.
Weights are as advertised and have had no issues so far.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013912
Mobile Version of Website