Transition Spur

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spur
O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2023 at 9:57 Quote
BenLow2019 wrote:
This whole interaction with Leviathan was a bit sad - a person gets a bike, bike gets a little damage, person wants to throw bike away.

I have to think he is a kid. He certainly acted like one in threatening to throw his bike off a cliff as if that would garner him support or move us to take his side. I wonder if his communications with transition were as volatile and emotional. I get the disappointment but histrionics don't often elicit a good response from most people, and from no one in this forum. LOL

Posted: Jun 3, 2023 at 21:03 Quote
Wow. What a bummer of a thread. We have a customer with the most hammered looking carbon Smuggler V1 I've ever seen. That bike still kills it and the owner loves it. These bikes are very strong and no amount of cosmetic damage will hurt them structurally. It's too bad Leviathan never got the hint. Once TR was aware of the damage he had a green light to rage on the bike and if it failed there he already had a foot in the door toward a new frame or rear (UDH compatible probably) triangle.

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2023 at 16:13 Quote
mjscyclery wrote:
Wow. What a bummer of a thread. We have a customer with the most hammered looking carbon Smuggler V1 I've ever seen. That bike still kills it and the owner loves it. These bikes are very strong and no amount of cosmetic damage will hurt them structurally. It's too bad Leviathan never got the hint. Once TR was aware of the damage he had a green light to rage on the bike and if it failed there he already had a foot in the door toward a new frame or rear (UDH compatible probably) triangle.

My thoughts exactly, If transition told him "It's OK to ride" and then it does fail...then he's got a paper trail for a guaranteed free frame. My first thought when I read his post about the damage is it sounds exactly like user error not a defect, im sure Transition saw it the same way. Poor guy did not get what he was looking for here haha.

O+
Posted: Jun 22, 2023 at 13:23 Quote
Leviathandive wrote:
Jmwenner wrote:
Leviathandive wrote:

You guys are so pro anti consumer and non-sympathetic Im blown away.

That’s true Frown

You should definitely sell that Spur - it’s clear you won’t like it. It rides a lot like the people in this forum.

Ok its clear you don't care and make jokes at my expense. I will just move on then.

Marsha Marsha Marsha

Posted: Jun 22, 2023 at 23:25 Quote
Hey all, what brakes are people running? I have the G2 r as standard and upgraded rotors 200mm front and 180mm rear. Thinking moving to Shimano but also codes? After more power

O+
Posted: Jun 23, 2023 at 5:15 Quote
I got the desire package and swapped to 200/180 rotors. Enough power for me since I have a ripmo af for bigger terrain

Posted: Jun 23, 2023 at 6:53 Quote
Has anyone run a 50mm Stroke on their Spur? I really want to coil this thing with the Cane Creek DB Inline, but am having an easier time finding the shock in a 50mm stroke which popped the question into my head...what would be the ramifications of running 5mm greater stroke on the Spur?

Posted: Jun 23, 2023 at 8:29 Quote
elihogan wrote:
Has anyone run a 50mm Stroke on their Spur? I really want to coil this thing with the Cane Creek DB Inline, but am having an easier time finding the shock in a 50mm stroke which popped the question into my head...what would be the ramifications of running 5mm greater stroke on the Spur?

It will prop up the BB and give you ~133mm of travel +/-, while rolling the front end forward and steepening your HTA. Sounds like a terrible idea.

Personally I wouldn't put a coil on the spur to begin with, and definitely not an over stroked coil

Even with the CCDB inline 190x45, that thing has a real thick/dense bumper that will rob you of your ability to hit full travel. Realistically I bet it would make your Spur 80-90mm travel because you'll never be able to dig deep enough into the bumper to reach full travel, unless you like really really violent bottom outs, which are absolutely terrible for your frame.

CC coils, both Kistsuma and InLine, are wonderful when you are using larger travel bikes. But on shorter travel, I'd pass, and thats passed off owning many of them, most recent on a Banshee Titan (great with CC) and Spitfire (too short travel for CC coil. I'd go CC InLine air and you'll get full travel and be able to fine tune progressivity.

Posted: Jun 23, 2023 at 9:49 Quote
privateer-wheels wrote:
elihogan wrote:

It will prop up the BB and give you ~133mm of travel +/-, while rolling the front end forward and steepening your HTA. Sounds like a terrible idea.

Personally I wouldn't put a coil on the spur to begin with, and definitely not an over stroked coil

Even with the CCDB inline 190x45, that thing has a real thick/dense bumper that will rob you of your ability to hit full travel. Realistically I bet it would make your Spur 80-90mm travel because you'll never be able to dig deep enough into the bumper to reach full travel, unless you like really really violent bottom outs, which are absolutely terrible for your frame.

CC coils, both Kistsuma and InLine, are wonderful when you are using larger travel bikes. But on shorter travel, I'd pass, and thats passed off owning many of them, most recent on a Banshee Titan (great with CC) and Spitfire (too short travel for CC coil. I'd go CC InLine air and you'll get full travel and be able to fine tune progressivity.

So it's definitely a terrible idea to run a 50mm stroke, but not for the reasons mentioned. The shock length is the same, but the rear wheel comess up higher, so you could hit the seat tube or crack the flex stays from excessive flex. I echo the above statements about short travel and coils. I'd recommend a DB Air IL instead.

Posted: Jun 23, 2023 at 11:24 Quote
Dudes thank you so much I really really appreciate this in-depth response!!!!

Posted: Jun 23, 2023 at 13:30 Quote
fentoncrackshell wrote:

So it's definitely a terrible idea to run a 50mm stroke, but not for the reasons mentioned. The shock length is the same, but the rear wheel comess up higher, so you could hit the seat tube or crack the flex stays from excessive flex. I echo the above statements about short travel and coils. I'd recommend a DB Air IL instead.

Right you are - I was thinking the shock was getting bigger eye to eye, but it could be 190x50.

Yeah, you are on point - tire may jam up, or, it may be too stressful for the stays - bingo.

O+
Posted: Jun 23, 2023 at 16:31 Quote
Scratched the shit out of my Black Powder Spur...anyone have experience with the transition touch up paint? Did you need primer first? I saw they have the black powder color but not the gold color for the transition logo, has anyone had any luck touching up the logo paint? Might just end up with a jenky logo.

Posted: Jun 23, 2023 at 16:40 Quote
IsaacO wrote:
Scratched the shit out of my Black Powder Spur...anyone have experience with the transition touch up paint? Did you need primer first? I saw they have the black powder color but not the gold color for the transition logo, has anyone had any luck touching up the logo paint? Might just end up with a jenky logo.

Wanna post an image of the paint damage? How bad are we talking?

Posted: Jun 24, 2023 at 3:27 Quote
IsaacO wrote:

I think they have the logo template on their support site - you can use that to order the replacement graphics through the vendor of your choice. The originals are “stick-on” too I believe - I’ve heard people sometimes have problems with them coming off the frame when they remove frame protection film.

The touch up paint is pretty much just that, it matches and you slap it on as stealthily as you can, wouldn’t mess with primer. I’d probably be better at applying it if I had paid attention in art class as a kid.

O+
Posted: Jun 24, 2023 at 5:22 Quote
I don’t have any pictures but I sanded the rough edges of the chips down then applied the paint, the paint chip will show to much if you don’t. I also put on multiple coats to make sure the divet wasn’t noticeable and finished with a light sand to blend the paint.

For the logo I used a sharpie and a flexible straight edge. My Smuggler is Outlaw orange with Black logo and decals so the sharpie was easy but I am sure you can find a gold sharpie.

From a 10 ft away or flying down a trail nobody will notice the paint job!

Good luck!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013198
Mobile Version of Website