Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

Giant Trance 27.5

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance 27.5
O+
Posted: Nov 18, 2018 at 1:51 Quote
Adamrideshisbike wrote:
PaulieAU wrote:
[I have beefed my trance up now running a 160mm Lyrik and it has sort of dulled general trail riding a bit (but better on the big stuff mainly due to chassis stiffness over previous Fox34).

Agreed. I went with a 160 mm 36 and it's bloody wonderful when it's fast and steep, but I was really disappointed on some of my calmer home trails that I'd lost some of the Trance's quick steering and poppiness.

This was my solution:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/anthem-advanced-sx-2017

I fixed my problem last week by pulling my finger out and throwing my spare trance bits (plus a few other goodies) into the hardtail..... weapon. Faster than the trance on some reasonable decents too. Think I stomp harder on a hardtail.

Posted: Nov 20, 2018 at 12:06 Quote
I’m about to switch out my drivetrain on my 2014 Trance SX Advanced. Any suggestions on what to go with? I was thinking an XT build...

O+
Posted: Nov 20, 2018 at 13:38 Quote
Xt, with a sunrace 50t cassette of you need. I have found eagle total shit and not worth the time.

Posted: Nov 20, 2018 at 14:34 Quote
heinous wrote:
Xt, with a sunrace 50t cassette of you need. I have found eagle total shit and not worth the time.

Thanks! I was thinking XT with 11-46 and a 30t.

O+
Posted: Nov 20, 2018 at 19:01 Quote
sflanagan21 wrote:
heinous wrote:

Should be fine. The main benefit to the 50t isn't the range as much as it lets you run a 32 or 34t front ring, which allows the suspension to work better.

Posted: Nov 20, 2018 at 19:11 Quote
heinous wrote:
sflanagan21 wrote:
heinous wrote:

Should be fine. The main benefit to the 50t isn't the range as much as it lets you run a 32 or 34t front ring, which allows the suspension to work better.

Oh, I see... thanks man!

Posted: Nov 24, 2018 at 11:21 Quote
mshagg wrote:
Props where they are due, and good to get a positive warranty experience into the internet archives...

Noticed some cracking in the paint on the top tube of my 2 year old '17 trance advanced 1. Took it back to the dealer. As of yesterday, it's now fitted with a '19 Advanced 0 frame - pretty much no questions asked on Giant's part.

Unfortunately it will necessitate a shift in colour schemes compared to the fluro yellow theme on the original frame...

photo

(Original for reference: https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/14843092/)
Did the ‘17 have a different shock mount or did they go trunnion in ‘17? I can’t remember. Did it cause an issue with swapping the shock?

Posted: Nov 24, 2018 at 14:15 Quote
Dougdirt wrote:
mshagg wrote:
Props where they are due, and good to get a positive warranty experience into the internet archives...

Noticed some cracking in the paint on the top tube of my 2 year old '17 trance advanced 1. Took it back to the dealer. As of yesterday, it's now fitted with a '19 Advanced 0 frame - pretty much no questions asked on Giant's part.

Unfortunately it will necessitate a shift in colour schemes compared to the fluro yellow theme on the original frame...

photo

Did the ‘17 have a different shock mount or did they go trunnion in ‘17? I can’t remember. Did it cause an issue with swapping the shock?
trunnion 2017

Posted: Nov 24, 2018 at 18:27 Quote
makripper wrote:
Dougdirt wrote:
mshagg wrote:

photo

trunnion 2017
Nice! Looks awesome!

O+
Posted: Dec 3, 2018 at 7:17 Quote
sflanagan21 wrote:
heinous wrote:
sflanagan21 wrote:

Oh, I see... thanks man!

I'm just curious, can you explain why the suspension work better with a bigger chainring?

I have a XT 46 tooth drivetrain with a 30 up front for what it's worth (lovely set up).

Posted: Dec 3, 2018 at 10:15 Quote
NRZ wrote:
sflanagan21 wrote:
heinous wrote:

Oh, I see... thanks man!

I'm just curious, can you explain why the suspension work better with a bigger chainring?

I have a XT 46 tooth drivetrain with a 30 up front for what it's worth (lovely set up).
the smaller the ring the more active the suspension with the maestro vpp-like linkage. ie. the giant glory it came with a 36 which made it feel more dead the the current 34 i have now which made it more lively.

O+
Posted: Dec 5, 2018 at 12:11 Quote
makripper wrote:
NRZ wrote:
sflanagan21 wrote:

Oh, I see... thanks man!

the smaller the ring the more active the suspension with the maestro vpp-like linkage. ie. the giant glory it came with a 36 which made it feel more dead the the current 34 i have now which made it more lively.

Thank you for the response! Have another question, do the Trance's like coil shocks, or would one only want to ride an air shock? For the rear!!

O+
Posted: Dec 5, 2018 at 13:48 Quote
I am running xt 11-46 with a 32T up front and the 46 is plenty low enough for me. I have even thought of going to 34 because 11x32 is a little lacking in the top end. I couldn't imagine only having a 30T up front.

Posted: Dec 5, 2018 at 14:29 Quote
NRZ wrote:
makripper wrote:
NRZ wrote:

Thank you for the response! Have another question, do the Trance's like coil shocks, or would one only want to ride an air shock? For the rear!!
I prefer air. The linkage on the trance, reign and glory are very linear. Most coil shocks are also more linear than air shocks. If you could work out a tune then a coil might feel awesome. For the majority of us, with a couple volume spacers in an air shock is good enough. I went custom shim and a few volume spacers to get the proper ramp up and mid stroke support for the glory but only needed a couple volume spacers for my air shock in the trance. Make any sense? Haha

O+
Posted: Dec 6, 2018 at 6:36 Quote
makripper wrote:
NRZ wrote:
makripper wrote:

I prefer air. The linkage on the trance, reign and glory are very linear. Most coil shocks are also more linear than air shocks. If you could work out a tune then a coil might feel awesome. For the majority of us, with a couple volume spacers in an air shock is good enough. I went custom shim and a few volume spacers to get the proper ramp up and mid stroke support for the glory but only needed a couple volume spacers for my air shock in the trance. Make any sense? Haha

Makes total sense, thank you! I bought a 2016 Trance 3 and it's just a stock RS Monacrh on there, small bump sensitivity seems crappy to me and I ride in New England on a ton of roots. Was watching some videos comparing the coil vs air and thought about trying the coil. Those videos and comments mentioned some bikes just don't like coils, because they're designed for some of the more progressive linkages on current bikes. I couldn't make out if the Trance was designed as a more linear or progressive linkage setup.

Given some free play money, would you try a coil?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.908883
Mobile Version of Website