Powered by Outside

2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts
O+ FL
Posted: Jun 1, 2020 at 4:21 Quote
i wonder if these cracks would actually cause a fail....it looks more like just surface microfracture. the good thing is that carbon is repairable if youre a DIY type

FL
Posted: Jun 1, 2020 at 23:08 Quote
bemorestoked wrote:
cjarrett wrote:
Yes, I'm having the exact same problem. I will try what is suggested above as well to see if it helps. I ride in lots of wet/muddy conditions and I hose my bike off usually, so I'm sure its related to getting gunk where it doesn't like to be.

I ride an S5, and when I put the power down it sounds like the bike is about to snap, but its still plenty of fun to fly down a hill on!

I was having this exact same problem/noise. Tried a bunch of stuff, wasn't BB, etc. Then I went to loosen the bolt on the drive side of that lower pivot and there was a huge "pop." Turned out that bolt was waaaay over tightened from the factory. Pulled the little axle thing out, cleaned and greased everything, put it back together at the recommended torque and I'm back to a silent magic carpet.

Thats interesting, i've been dealing with a creaking and rattling bike for about 2 weeks and it is doing my head in, the bike feels like something is loose and over of camber roots and rocks it feels like the suspension isn't quite doing its job anymore, the bike feels like its rattling and deflecting, however first 3 weeks it was insanely, beyond words good. I can't being to describe how good this bike is.

I removed that same bolt you were talking about and it made the gnarliest noise, I was full convinced i'd snapped something. I haven't pulled that complete axle tube out yet but will give that a good going over. I completely get it when people say they don't have faith or confidence if their bike has a distinctive creak or knock, you're torn between riding or pulling over in fear something is getting flogged out.

Thanks for the info!

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 8:55 Quote
Update on my suspension rebuild, I tore apart almost every link, re-greased and re-torqued. I had probably 800kms in the dirt on this bike. Most if not all the joints had some gunk or sediment in there, however the bearings were all great and none of them need attention. That main axle, I think its titanium, was the dirtiest.

Went for my first ride and nearly all the creaking was gone, suspension felt plusher (or maybe just placebo), however 1/3rd the way up my climb, I completely stripped the inside of the hub/freehub on my DT Swiss 350 - no more power... so its in for warranty replacement now. Frown

My thoughts are, pull this axle and re-grease a few times a year, pull the bike apart and clean it all up 2x a year (I live in Vancouver so I ride in the wet/damp often).

photo

photo

Posted: Jun 4, 2020 at 20:00 Quote
Anyone have experience with different fork offsets on this bike?

I just found out my current bike (2018 Norco Range C9.1) has a crack in it. I now have a 2020 S4 enduro on the way. The bike I ordered comes with a RockShox Lyric Select (42 mm offset). My Norco has a 2018 Fox Factory Float 36 (51mm offset). Last week I ordered a 170 mm air spring and updated GRIP2 damper for my 36 prior to finding out about this crack. I would love to just swap my old fork for the Rockshox as I have been using Fox suspension for years, and I have all the tools and fluids to do lower leg services. I have no experience using a fork with a shorter offset.

So...2018 Fox Factory 36 with brand new internals(51mm offset) or the Rockshox Lyrik Select (42mm offset)?

FL
Posted: Jun 5, 2020 at 1:03 Quote
a-prince wrote:
Anyone have experience with different fork offsets on this bike?

So...2018 Fox Factory 36 with brand new internals(51mm offset) or the Rockshox Lyrik Select (42mm offset)?

It's noticeable but not big. You'll forget it once you get used to it. Basically shorter offset are more stable. I would say try it first then you will know how you like them. I prefer it as short as possible for the 60mm offset lefty on the Jekyll is the twitchest bike I've ever ridden, nightmare stuff.

Posted: Jun 5, 2020 at 3:49 Quote
Now if we can just get the resort opened up so I can go fine tune this thing out that would be superb. Nice to see all the chatter on the thread????

I would go with the Lyrik if you want small bump sensitivity and the Fox if you go big all the time. Small bump compliance on the Fox Factory I’m running is not that great

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 14:47 Quote
cjarrett wrote:
Update on my suspension rebuild, I tore apart almost every link, re-greased and re-torqued. I had probably 800kms in the dirt on this bike. Most if not all the joints had some gunk or sediment in there, however the bearings were all great and none of them need attention. That main axle, I think its titanium, was the dirtiest.

Went for my first ride and nearly all the creaking was gone, suspension felt plusher (or maybe just placebo), however 1/3rd the way up my climb, I completely stripped the inside of the hub/freehub on my DT Swiss 350 - no more power... so its in for warranty replacement now. Frown

My thoughts are, pull this axle and re-grease a few times a year, pull the bike apart and clean it all up 2x a year (I live in Vancouver so I ride in the wet/damp often).

photo

photo

I’ve currently got a similar issue on my Expert frame. It has a seriously loud crack/creak noise when under hard pedalling. Very intermittent though.

I went digging in the rear triangle and found a locked bearing in one of the short dog bone type linkages that sandwich the little mudguard flap thing. Will be replacing it next week so hopefully that’s the issue.

I’ve checked every bearing backwards of the BB (all fine), just not the main axle pivot/expander pin. If it still creaks and moans the main axle will probably be next on my list.

Other than that, absolutely amazing bike.

Posted: Jun 10, 2020 at 12:22 Quote
Hey all...

I want to hear some thoughts from guys, already riding new enduro, since I can't decide which size to take. I'm coming from Banshee Rune 2014 27,5 size L. Decided to go for something new. I'm 6' tall, normal proportions and can't decide between S3 and S4 for enduro. S3 is already longer bike then my Rune in size L and S4 a bit more. I'm reading people my size are going for S4 mostly. When I was trying S3 on parking lot i had similar feeling to my Rune. But when trying S4 i had a much bigger bike feeling, not to big, just something i would have to get used to. Is that something that comes with longer GEO and 29 wheels? Will i get used to that or is this bike to big? Maybe a stupid question, but alot of things has changed in past 6 years. Big Grin

Posted: Jun 10, 2020 at 15:35 Quote
kinserk wrote:
Hey all...

I want to hear some thoughts from guys, already riding new enduro, since I can't decide which size to take. I'm coming from Banshee Rune 2014 27,5 size L. Decided to go for something new. I'm 6' tall, normal proportions and can't decide between S3 and S4 for enduro. S3 is already longer bike then my Rune in size L and S4 a bit more. I'm reading people my size are going for S4 mostly. When I was trying S3 on parking lot i had similar feeling to my Rune. But when trying S4 i had a much bigger bike feeling, not to big, just something i would have to get used to. Is that something that comes with longer GEO and 29 wheels? Will i get used to that or is this bike to big? Maybe a stupid question, but alot of things has changed in past 6 years. Big Grin

Sounds like S4 would be better for you. I’m around 175ish and on a S3. It felt like a big bike to begin with but I’m used to it now. But a friend of mine who is taller than me but shy of 6 foot went for a quick ride and his initial feeling was that it was too small.

Posted: Jun 10, 2020 at 17:26 Quote
Depends on whether the rider is sitting or standing. When sitting, the super steep seat-tube angle will make the S3 feel small; when standing, the S3 is definitely not small. The S4 would feel "about right" when seated, but it's a very big bike for someone 6' (same height as me) when standing.

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 11, 2020 at 2:15 Quote
I would get the S3 to have a bit more playful ride. I prefer smaller bikes and got to ttry both and S3 would be my choice. 6’ with long inseam. Will make the 29ers less daunting, and the bike is already so stable...

Posted: Jun 11, 2020 at 18:49 Quote
How close is your guys chainring to your chainstay? Mine is super close to hitting.

I'm using a SRAM Dub BB, which SRAM says you should use a 2mm spacer with while using a chainguide. The bike came with a 4.5mm spacer and chainguide from Specialized. I just swapped cranks and to a E13 chainguide with a bashguard, but the fit is tight.
photo

photo

Posted: Jun 11, 2020 at 19:38 Quote
a-prince wrote:
How close is your guys chainring to your chainstay? Mine is super close to hitting.

Is it possible you're using a non-Boost crankset or chainring on a Boost bike? If so, that actually produces better chainline, but clearance is inevitably very tight.

O+
Posted: Jun 12, 2020 at 19:35 Quote
nice, how long did it take to be delivered? any feedback on the bike?

Angu58 wrote:
Haven’t seen much in this thread recently but I just ordered an Enduro comp. Fox 36 factory and float X2 In addition to Shimano XT 12 speed, and four piston brakes with centre lock 200 mm rotors on XT hubs. They are laced to DT Swiss ex511 rims. Size S4, about 5”10 tall.

Fully built, it’s a bit cheaper than the expert.

O+
Posted: Jun 12, 2020 at 22:20 Quote
clamchowderz wrote:
nice, how long did it take to be delivered? any feedback on the bike?

Angu58 wrote:
Haven’t seen much in this thread recently but I just ordered an Enduro comp. Fox 36 factory and float X2 In addition to Shimano XT 12 speed, and four piston brakes with centre lock 200 mm rotors on XT hubs. They are laced to DT Swiss ex511 rims. Size S4, about 5”10 tall.

Fully built, it’s a bit cheaper than the expert.

Yeah, picked it up about two and a half weeks ago. So far, great. By far the best bike I have ever ridden, and for some reason felt better than the S-Works I demoed at crankworx. I've still got a Rockshox shock, as the 2021 X2 was delayed until end of June. I have a 180mm 38 on, so a little slacker. Haven't done much real riding, but some at whistler on the westside. Hopefully the bike park opens up soon.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.027981
Mobile Version of Website