Powered by Outside

2021 Stumpjumper

PB Forum :: Specialized
2021 Stumpjumper
Posted: Oct 15, 2022 at 19:15 Quote
Anyone already tried a coil shock? I was wondering if the new RS Super Deluxe Coil with HBO in 190x45mm would be a good fit.

Thanks

Posted: Oct 19, 2022 at 13:42 Quote
Been ~6 months now and ~900 miles on my 22 Stumpjumper and I've already sent the fork back for a warranty issue after I kept hearing a clunking noise from the damper. They performed a lower leg service and damper replacement at the time. I'm coming up on the rear shock damper service and was going to do another lower leg service on the front fork as well.

I've noticed that I need to set my rear shock pressure pretty much every other time I ride the bike as it loses air pretty rapidly. I've already done an air can service once but since I'm going to send it to Fox for damper service (and possibly warranty consideration), I was wondering if anybody has done any sort of re-valve with Fox.

I'm ~160lb and run 180 psi in the rear shock with a 0.8 volume spacer (up from 0.6 stock) and feel like the compression and rebound could use a little more fine tuning than the current adjustments allow for. The rebound feels a bit too fast but when I slow it down a click (going from 7 clicks out to 6 clicks out), the rear shock feels like it starts packing up.

Thought about switching to the Super Deluxe Ultimate and asking a suspension tuner to mimic the tune that's already on the DPS.

Posted: Oct 19, 2022 at 23:53 Quote
CristianoSebastiao wrote:
Anyone already tried a coil shock? I was wondering if the new RS Super Deluxe Coil with HBO in 190x45mm would be a good fit.

Thanks

The only coil shock that's compatible with the new SJ is the EXT

Posted: Oct 20, 2022 at 5:15 Quote
Put a 150mm 36 factory on my 21 alloy.
Paired with a factory dps in the rear, it feels like an enduro bike.

Would recommend the bump up in travel if you want your stumpy to be a bit more stable.
It’s definitely less playful but it feels amazing.

Posted: Oct 20, 2022 at 5:18 Quote
seraph wrote:

Thanks

EXT France told me that it is not compatible with the flex stay SJ

O+
Posted: Oct 20, 2022 at 7:39 Quote
I know a guy that used a new DHX on his stumpy and was quite happy with it, did a few races on it and podiumed in pro class.

Posted: Oct 20, 2022 at 9:46 Quote
I didn’t know the DHX is made in 190x45

O+
Posted: Oct 20, 2022 at 10:18 Quote
Oops nvm, it was a marzocchi bomber CR. Ill have to ask him what size he used since they dont offer a stock 190x45, maybe went with imperial

O+
Posted: Oct 20, 2022 at 10:58 Quote
Anyone seen this? New for '23 Stumpjumper LTD with a float X. I wonder if i could get my hands on this shock with the proper tune for the bike?

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-works-stumpjumper-ltd/p/200365?color=322742-200365

O+
Posted: Oct 20, 2022 at 11:25 Quote
arrowheadrush wrote:
Anyone seen this? New for '23 Stumpjumper LTD with a float X. I wonder if i could get my hands on this shock with the proper tune for the bike?

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-works-stumpjumper-ltd/p/200365?color=322742-200365

Interesting bike...

I was curious about the "Proper tune"

what actually goes into tuning a rear shock? I was assuming its just spacers?

what's the difference between this floatx and a floatx off the shelf?

Posted: Oct 20, 2022 at 17:05 Quote
Brodybro29 wrote:
seraph wrote:

Thanks

EXT America told me it was strong enough. I just can't afford one, even at employee purchase pricing. :'(

Posted: Oct 20, 2022 at 22:09 Quote
seraph wrote:
Brodybro29 wrote:
seraph wrote:

EXT America told me it was strong enough. I just can't afford one, even at employee purchase pricing. :'(

Interesting, they didn’t say anything about strength but just that it will not physically fit.
It’s true that the space is restrained, I’ve actually never seen a coil on the stumpy, so I also doubt there is enough space there?

O+
Posted: Oct 20, 2022 at 22:46 Quote
Any people try the new super deluxe ultimate yet?

O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2022 at 3:20 Quote
Dogmeat26 wrote:

I tried it on my Devinci. It’s excellent.

Posted: Oct 21, 2022 at 4:49 Quote
Dogmeat26 wrote:

I am riding it since august on my stumpy, here are my impressions from mtbr, still valid :

Climbing performance is about the same, pedal bob while sitting as well. The DPS grips well on technical climbs so do the SDU. The climb switch is a little bit hard to move on the SDU, the lock out is somewhere between DPS trail and firm modes, which works for climbing fire roads. I have the feeling that there is slightly less movement with the SDU when pedaling standing.

General trail riding, on flowy trails. The two feel very similar to be honest. I use the same amount of travel.

I feel improvement on square edge hits and fast chunk. The SDU seems to perform better there. I don't get as much feedback in my feet when hitting roots or rocks at high speed. In fast choppy turns where my rear tire usually slide a little bit while dribbling, the rear wheel seems to track the ground better. The bike is actually more silent going fast it is fairly noticeable. It seems like I have used all the travel on some drops but I never felt it, or I have a mm or two left or the bottom out bumper works well.

I was not able to feel or understand exactly in which condition there should be a difference in rebound tune linear vs digressive.
Setting up the shock is very easy, RS suggestions were close to spot on for me, I could maybe go one air token more.
It is quite heavier than the DPS, almost double the weight.
I was afraid for the bottle but I can still fit my 800ml.

To sum up: It might not be a necessary upgrade for general trail riding, definitely brings a little bit more control in the chunk for more gravity oriented riding. It doesn't make the bike a very different beast in the end

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011257
Mobile Version of Website