Bike Painting Guides and Pictures of Your Work

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Bike Painting Guides and Pictures of Your Work
Posted: Jan 15, 2015 at 23:47 Quote
dagzin wrote:
All done... I'm happy with themBig Grin
Fox float 36 RLC fit Decals by Nldesigns http nldesigns.eu

Fox float 36 RLC Decals by Nldesigns http nldesigns.eu

Just like I said a week or so ago, they look factory, can't get better than that, good job.

Posted: Jan 16, 2015 at 1:26 Quote
Thanks and thank you for the tipsSmile

Posted: Jan 16, 2015 at 4:27 Quote
Looks like a brand new fork! Nice work

Posted: Jan 17, 2015 at 6:47 Quote
A catastrophe befell my SX-trail frame, it was covered in acid... The paint was destroyed so it had to be resprayed.
I started by removing what was left of the paint, at this stage i hadn't decided what color to paint it.
The rawed sx-trail frame
After some consideration I decided to leave some of the raw aluminum visible. And I thought that orange would go nicely with the silver-grey. I masked up the frame and hang it up in the garage. For the moment I'm a student and have to work with what I got...
The masked up sx-trail frame
The first few layers was painted with primer. After the primer had dried up I wet-sanded the frame to get a good surface.
The masked and primed sx-trail frame
Then the orange paint... In several layers
The partly finished sx-trail frame
Then I removed the masking from the frame.
The partly finished sx-trail frame
Now I'm waiting for the newly made stickers to arrive...

Posted: Jan 17, 2015 at 6:48 Quote
I like that. Hopefully the sharp edge with the primer and paint build up doesn't peel back, because it looks really nice.

Posted: Jan 17, 2015 at 6:51 Quote
I ordered stickers that will cover the edge and then the frame will be clear coated

Posted: Jan 17, 2015 at 7:19 Quote
All the way along?
I think you should get a bit of One Shot sign paint and a good long liner brush and pinstripe the edge. It would be rad.

Posted: Jan 17, 2015 at 7:27 Quote
I've actually been thinking about doing just that! But I don't know just yet, won't be able to clear coat it for about three weeks anyway. But yeah, the stickers will cover the entire line.
This is what the stickers will look like, plus a few black lines that will be 5mm wide and cover the entire break between the orange and the unpainted frame.
Stickers for my repainted SX-trail

Posted: Jan 17, 2015 at 8:43 Quote
So how did it get covered in acid?? Eek

Posted: Jan 17, 2015 at 9:20 Quote
good question, how did it get covered in acid? paint looks rad, post it again when it's all finished and built up

Posted: Jan 17, 2015 at 11:44 Quote
pimpin-gimp wrote:
All the way along?
I think you should get a bit of One Shot sign paint and a good long liner brush and pinstripe the edge. It would be rad.
I would use this in black vice a sticker. Will hold up better than a pinstripe decal.

Posted: Jan 19, 2015 at 8:41 Quote
USMC wrote:
pimpin-gimp wrote:
All the way along?
I would use this in black vice a sticker. Will hold up better than a pinstripe decal.

It's not a pinstripe decal, it's just a straight line. I thought about pinstriping it myself but I need more practice Before I do it, and I don't feel like waiting Smile

slope wrote:
So how did it get covered in acid?? Eek

Well, it's a long story. Let's just say that it was down to my own stupidity and therefore entirely my fault... Redface

Posted: Jan 19, 2015 at 9:59 Quote
Hmmmm....must be a really good story.
Embarrassing, but really good!

Posted: Jan 22, 2015 at 16:24 Quote
Anybody have experience with spray painting indoors? I have nowhere else to work with so I was planning on using dust sheets to convert my shower cubicle into a sort of makeshift spray booth. I also have a large extractor fan already in place to deal with fumes and a convector heater to keep the room nice and toasty for drying effectively.

It's not for a world class finish, it's just the beater bike looks atrocious at the moment, the last owner half stripped the frame and half of it being raw has started to rust it slightly.

O+
Posted: Jan 22, 2015 at 19:57 Quote
Don't bother trying unless you have a high cfm setup to evacuate all the fumes and overspray. There will be way more overspray than you can imagine. That shit is super toxic and shouldn't be used indoors for a reason.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015167
Mobile Version of Website