Powered by Outside

Older riders, but not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Older riders, but not "Old School"
Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 13:55 Quote
Old skool?? "Hey man, we're streakin man, streakin!"

O+
Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 15:57 Quote
Riding flat pedals you must, if you want to master the jumps young Skywalker!
Seriously riding flats will change your view on jumps and also make you a much better rider as you will really connect with your bike, pump and corner like you have never before.

I still ride clipless when I commute but i ride flats on my XC and on my DH bike.

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 16:00 Quote
jerome wrote:
Riding flat pedals you must, if you want to master the jumps young Skywalker!
Seriously riding flats will change your view on jumps and also make you a much better rider as you will really connect with your bike, pump and corner like you have never before.

I still ride clipless when I commute but i ride flats on my XC and on my DH bike.

I hear you but I have a real thing for power climbing so at best I'd likely have to go with the 2 side shimano pedal and its probably not ideal on the flat side as flats go. I also do a lot of my trail riding mid commute so flats really aren't an option for me.

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 16:04 Quote
Why not just swap your pedals depending on what your riding. IE going to the park or having a fun ride drop the platforms on, if your going on a climbing mission, put the clips back on. Simple Big Grin

Takes 2 min with the park pedal wrench.

I dumped my clips long ago and won't go back.

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 16:07 Quote
I've never had clipless pedals. But I'm betting that modern flat designs mixed with a 5/10 shoe can give you the best of both worlds.

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 16:18 Quote
OG4LIFE wrote:
Still have my 1989 robinson pro series complete with...pause...pitbull brake! Great brake, but I prefer the foot in the tire method...saves weight.

N0ow thats old school . I to used to have one with powerlight bars/seat dk neck,redline flights ,pitbull brakes and bear cage peddels.

O+
Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 16:31 Quote
I ride clipless on my hardtail. I've found after riding with flats (5.10's with good pedals) for so long, I don't have nearly the confidence clipped in as I do on flats. I'm always twisting out of my clipless when on a good DH ride, where as when I'm on flats, the side to side grip is so much better.

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 16:40 Quote
saintjimmy wrote:
I ride clipless on my hardtail. I've found after riding with flats (5.10's with good pedals) for so long, I don't have nearly the confidence clipped in as I do on flats. I'm always twisting out of my clipless when on a good DH ride, where as when I'm on flats, the side to side grip is so much better.
I just, after ten years switched back to platforms, and like you said, w/ 5.10's and good pedals, I wounder what I was thinking when I decided to run clipless. My shins take a beating sometimes, but the mobility on platforms is unmatched.

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 16:47 Quote
t3h1337r wrote:
Why not just swap your pedals depending on what your riding. IE going to the park or having a fun ride drop the platforms on, if your going on a climbing mission, put the clips back on. Simple Big Grin

Like I said, alot of my trail riding is done mid commute. As in on my way to work I detour up the mountain for a nice trail ride or I go on the way home. I do stop and drop my luch off at the trail exit but I'm not about to change my pedals.

Where I live you also have to climb at most areas to earn your downhills and I'm more concerned about climbing performance than descending performance. I don't do the big stunts and it isn't because of my pedals. I hate not claening a climb but don't care if I have to walk down a section I'm not comfortable on.

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 16:55 Quote
davemud wrote:
t3h1337r wrote:

Like I said, alot of my trail riding is done mid commute. As in on my way to work I detour up the mountain for a nice trail ride or I go on the way home. I do stop and drop my luch off at the trail exit but I'm not about to change my pedals.

Where I live you also have to climb at most areas to earn your downhills and I'm more concerned about climbing performance than descending performance. I don't do the big stunts and it isn't because of my pedals. I hate not claening a climb but don't care if I have to walk down a section I'm not comfortable on.

Dave...you don't NEED clipless to clean a climb its all in the pedal technique and assuming you ride as often as you suggest then its obvious you have a good spinning technique.
I know the top riders swear by clipless, but they are talking a few seconds being the difference between 1st and 10th...us mere mortals arn't..
Give it a try...get some good shoes and pedals and hit up one of your favorite climbs, see how it goes?

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 17:15 Quote
Clipped in all the way!!! Mallets and mid line shoes fit me just perfect. My son rides flats and cleans most climbs as well, but he's also part mountain goat too.

O+
Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 17:15 Quote
davemud wrote:
t3h1337r wrote:

Where I live you also have to climb at most areas to earn your downhills and I'm more concerned about climbing performance than descending performance. I don't do the big stunts and it isn't because of my pedals. I hate not cleaning a climb but don't care if I have to walk down a section I'm not comfortable on.

So, if you don't make it your name's Mud?

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 17:16 Quote
ricar wrote:
That is funny. I have been to the BMX track so many times and kids say you'r awsome. I always say the same thing, thats because the guys that can ride are not here yet.....

I'm using that one this summer!! lol

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 17:26 Quote
whoadragon wrote:
Clipped in all the way!!! Mallets and mid line shoes fit me just perfect.
Does the cleat on your shoe interfere with your foot grip when you are on the flat side of the pedal? I tried riding a cleated shimano shoe on a pair of flats and it was terrible (the cleat would slid across the pedal surface). Maybe it was just a crappy shoe/pedal combination???

O+
Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 17:32 Quote
crosscheck wrote:
whoadragon wrote:
Clipped in all the way!!! Mallets and mid line shoes fit me just perfect.
Does the cleat on your shoe interfere with your foot grip when you are on the flat side of the pedal? I tried riding a cleated shimano shoe on a pair of flats and it was terrible (the cleat would slid across the pedal surface). Maybe it was just a crappy shoe/pedal combination???

Ain't no flat side of Mallets that I've ever seen.

I find the Shimano DX clipless pedals let you unclip and ride OK, because of the sharp edges on the composite cages.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.065496
Mobile Version of Website