Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 22:56 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Doesn't the Luftkappe increase the negative spring?

Yes, but it's still no coil with hydraulic bottom-out!

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 23:11 Quote
iggzdaloc wrote:
Granted I've been out of the game for a bit but the Lyrik Ultimate is unquestionably the best fork I've ever ridden thus far. I imagine the Pike with the Debonair and 2.1 RC2 friggin' rules. Fox hype is whack.

I don't think it's fair to call Fox whack. Grip2 does do what it claims to do, and it's a really nice system. I love all the adjustability it offers.

O+
Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 23:39 Quote
The fact that a Luftkappe can improve a Fox EVOL is a testament to how much Fox needs to improve their air spring. Hence why everyone loves them either with larger negs or coils.

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 0:30 Quote
PHeller wrote:
The fact that a Luftkappe can improve a Fox EVOL is a testament to how much Fox needs to improve their air spring. Hence why everyone loves them either with larger negs or coils.

It's only the the past few years that negative springs have been getting any attention. Previously, they were little more than a top-out bumper. Fox has been particularly slow to change - forks and shocks.

O+
Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 6:03 Quote
heinous wrote:
A Luftkappe could also address the negative spring.

My Helm failed pretty catastrophically early on. It turned out it had shipped without the lower bushes in the legs installed. Bizarre. Anyway, there was enough flex in the air piston that when landing in off a gap on a DH course here it ingested a load of air from the positive to the negative, very fast. Basically sucked violently down to full bottom and didn’t return. I managed to avoid going over the bars.
@clapforcanadaa
I’ve not had the issue you mention with my DVO. I assume it’s tuneable - have you asked DVO about it?

f*ck, that’s scary.

Nope I have not. I’ve been so stoked with it all around other than that I assumed if I fix that issue I’ll loose something else. It’s not a huge issue, but yes, probably would make the most sense to pick up the phone and ask them about it.

O+
Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 6:46 Quote
clapforcanadaa wrote:
heinous wrote:

My Helm failed pretty catastrophically early on. It turned out it had shipped without the lower bushes in the legs installed. Bizarre. Anyway, there was enough flex in the air piston that when landing in off a gap on a DH course here it ingested a load of air from the positive to the negative, very fast. Basically sucked violently down to full bottom and didn’t return. I managed to avoid going over the bars.
@clapforcanadaa
I’ve not had the issue you mention with my DVO. I assume it’s tuneable - have you asked DVO about it?

f*ck, that’s scary.

Nope I have not. I’ve been so stoked with it all around other than that I assumed if I fix that issue I’ll loose something else. It’s not a huge issue, but yes, probably would make the most sense to pick up the phone and ask them about it.

Do it.. Homeboys are super stoked to help. My topaz had a little issue initially and they were super helpful.. And overnighted an air can kit to me to fix it.

O+
Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 7:25 Quote
PHeller wrote:

yes but steve at vorsprung is ridiculously smart. i called them and he personally walked me through setting up my float X2. the guy will probably find a way to improve on every fork design introduced to market

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 8:39 Quote
Since some of you have asked, here's SocalMX's Obit.

I wonder how his family would feel to know there's an entire group of people he met on the internet who miss him.

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 8:48 Quote
R-M-R wrote:

I never liked the FIT4 damper, but the GRIP2 is the best I've used. The air spring still has too short of a negative spring, so a Smashpot could make the GRIP2 36 the clear leader (not having tried a Mezzer yet).

What - no love for the Ribbon coil? Wink

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 8:54 Quote
clapforcanadaa wrote:
heinous wrote:

@clapforcanadaa

f*ck, that’s scary.

DVO has awesome cs

O+
Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 9:06 Quote
Circe wrote:
Since some of you have asked, here's SocalMX's Obit.

I wonder how his family would feel to know there's an entire group of people he met on the internet who miss him.

Super bums me out. He was one of the forum PB peeps that I most wanted to actually meet. Seemed like such a cool dude. Hope his family well.

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 9:08 Quote
Arnoodles wrote:
tom666 wrote:
swan3609 wrote:

Yep.. 6'2 and 6'5 arm span.. Anything under 800 is almost unridable to me.

Really quite uncommon to have an armspan 3" larger than your height.

If only you did a sport like Boxing where it would be advantageous, where as for MTB it probably just makes sizing a pain in the ass.
Not sure it's that uncommon. I'm about the same.

I did an ergonomics/anthropology module at university. I think the data we studied was for British people and 1.0 was average (height and wingspan the same). Dude here has like 1.05 which is pretty large.

You're right though, it isn't super super unusual.

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 9:58 Quote
All of those dudes with freakish arm spans are in the NBA. Kevin Durant is just under 7' tall and has a 7'5" wingspan. That's like alot of CMs

O+
Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 10:14 Quote
Circe wrote:
All of those dudes with freakish arm spans are in the NBA. Kevin Durant is just under 7' tall and has a 7'5" wingspan. That's like alot of CMs

Massive in mm thats how I measure everything

O+
Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 10:51 Quote
I rode a Helm Coil recently. If being massive undersprung for my weight it rode pretty damn good.

Curious to see what DVO comes up with, I want to ride a Mezzer before buying one, and still trying my hardest to avoid coils.

Has anyone ridden the MRP Ribbon enough to comment on its damper? It's probably the fork I heard the most mixed results on since the intro of the Charger back in 2014. People either love it or can never get it to feel right.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.035965
Mobile Version of Website