Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Jan 8, 2020 at 10:09 Quote
New bike has come with sram sx, is it worth upgrading to a gx cassette or anything higher up the range?

O+
Posted: Jan 8, 2020 at 10:11 Quote
Cool data.

For the $5-$10 difference between the YBN and KMC chains vs the SRAM XX1 for a bigger guy like me it's probably worth it.

O+
Posted: Jan 8, 2020 at 10:20 Quote
PHeller wrote:
Cool data.

For the $5-$10 difference between the YBN and KMC chains vs the SRAM XX1 for a bigger guy like me it's probably worth it.

Same. I was buying the x11sl chains as they are cheap on CRC. I was going through 3-4 chains per year, replacing them when the chain checker showed them as needing to be replaced. Since going to XX1 I'm getting nearly a full season on them.

Posted: Jan 8, 2020 at 10:43 Quote
deli-hustler wrote:
New bike has come with sram sx, is it worth upgrading to a gx cassette or anything higher up the range?

Yes, but keep in mind that GX and up take an XD driver.

O+
Posted: Jan 8, 2020 at 12:03 Quote
I like kmc and sram chains. I had so many broken shimano chains back in the day that I swore off of them for good.

Posted: Jan 8, 2020 at 12:46 Quote
freerider11 wrote:
XX1 11sp chains on Shimano 11sp drivetrains on most of my bikes. XX1 has lasted significantly longer (far less stretch) than the KMC x11's I used to run. I believe there was a recent chain durability test done that proved this as well.

Edit: Chain test article here
"That said, Kerin has tested a handful of KMC models, including the brand-new X11TT oil-slick (race day) chain, which actually posted impressively good durability results – despite KMC’s own claim it trades 5% durability for improved speed – and so it’s not out of the question that Kerin got his hands on a bad batch of KMC chains."

I've never had a durability issue with KMC chains, and they remain the only chains I've never broken.

Posted: Jan 8, 2020 at 12:58 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
fantaman wrote:
seraph wrote:

Same here. It's completely unintuitive compared to a regular trigger. I think I would have liked it better if I was running the left hand button as well and had it set up like eTap.

The Zirbel setup for AXS looks allot smoother & cleaner than the Sram AXS Shifter.
Is that the twist shifter that's integrated into their bars? I liked the look of that but I'm not a fan of having it locked to only their handlebar choices.

The new ones from zirbel they have released for AXS is compatible with any brand bar out there,the first ones they could only be used with their bars but now you can use your own bar to work with their AXS shifter.

O+
Posted: Jan 8, 2020 at 13:15 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
I've never had a durability issue with KMC chains, and they remain the only chains I've never broken.

I didn't think durability was an issue with all of the KMC chains I'd been using either. Just thought it was normal with every chain to have to replace them a few times a year (which isn't a big deal as they were cheap). Picked up an XX1 chain as it was all they had at the lbs and I needed one right away and noticed it was lasting much longer than the previous KMC's I'd been using. Picked one up for another bike with similar results. I'd say they're lasting twice as long at least for me. Obviously there may be other factors at play, but just my experience.

I've never had a problem with breaking chains within the last 10 years or so, KMC or SRAM. No real experience with Shimano chains since they never used to come with a quick link so always avoided them. Although I believe they do now.

Posted: Jan 8, 2020 at 13:50 Quote
Wippermann or I'm walking.

Posted: Jan 8, 2020 at 14:22 Quote
seraph wrote:
deli-hustler wrote:

OK cheers. It's sx eagle if that makes a difference.

O+
Posted: Jan 8, 2020 at 15:05 Quote
deli-hustler wrote:
seraph wrote:
deli-hustler wrote:

That is the difference. The 11 tooth sx won't fit the XD

Posted: Jan 8, 2020 at 15:11 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
deli-hustler wrote:
seraph wrote:

That is the difference. The 11 tooth sx won't fit the XD

Oh balls

Posted: Jan 9, 2020 at 1:19 Quote
Whilst we're on the chain topic. How have the new shimano 12spd chains been fairing for people?

I've got an SLX 12spd chain and cassette on the way - quite excited to test out these shifting under load claims.

Posted: Jan 9, 2020 at 5:15 Quote
I'm going to be buying a full 12 speed groupset in the next month or two. Whole drivetrain and brakes.

I've been weighing up the XT vs the SLX.

I think the Shimano have almost done themselves a disservice making the SLX so good - there's barely any features the XT has that he SLX doesn't.

Sure, there's a weight penalty - 64g on the cassette, 30g on the cranks, 32g derailleur by going with XT.

SLX shifter is actually 5g lighter. Brakes are listed the same weight. I believe the chainrings are listed the same weight.

121 gram saving in total. Nothing to write home about unless you're racing.

Both are really nice looking groupsets IMO. Both the XT black and the SLX gunmetal colourways are easy on the eyes. I think they've killed the game so hard with the SLX I might pluck for that save the £150 for buying Mutzigs in Morzine.

Posted: Jan 9, 2020 at 5:17 Quote
In my experience always go for the better shifter, all the other differences are negligible. And since it's one of the cheaper upgrades to do, you'll still have plenty beer money

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.078449
Mobile Version of Website