E-MTB The best thing since sliced bread!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
E-MTB The best thing since sliced bread!
Posted: Mar 30, 2021 at 14:19 Quote
This is literally my biggest issue with them, you can't upgrade the motors , they always have issues burning out and you have to settle for a motor cut out at 15mph in the uk at least then you are stuck with a super heavy bike beyond 15mph.

If I ever feel the need or desire to go electric I'd just fit the lift mtb kit to my sb165... At least it will still weigh less, has more power, is removable, upgradeable and don't feel like the bike is for the trash or out of date when a new motor is released every couple of years. Also means I get to keep the bike I like or can choose pretty much any frame I desire and still have a lighter more powerful kit.

Some may say it doesn't look as clean as everything integrated into the downtube, to me it looks pretty cool.

But normal restricted ones are not for me, I do a lot of xc type stuff well above the motor cut off speed and for the dh centre I can get an uplift, if I was to have an e bike I'd want assistance at all speeds and for it to be a bit lighter and upgradeable. The Lift kit delivers that but not sure I need or want one yet and I'm waiting for a restricted one so I can use it on normal roads and trails, then when you go to the trail centre or bikepark take it off.......

https://www.lift-mtb.com/accueil-faq-english/

O+
Posted: Mar 31, 2021 at 13:03 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
This is literally my biggest issue with them, you can't upgrade the motors , they always have issues burning out and you have to settle for a motor cut out at 15mph in the uk at least then you are stuck with a super heavy bike beyond 15mph.

If I ever feel the need or desire to go electric I'd just fit the lift mtb kit to my sb165... At least it will still weigh less, has more power, is removable, upgradeable and don't feel like the bike is for the trash or out of date when a new motor is released every couple of years. Also means I get to keep the bike I like or can choose pretty much any frame I desire and still have a lighter more powerful kit.

Some may say it doesn't look as clean as everything integrated into the downtube, to me it looks pretty cool.

But normal restricted ones are not for me, I do a lot of xc type stuff well above the motor cut off speed and for the dh centre I can get an uplift, if I was to have an e bike I'd want assistance at all speeds and for it to be a bit lighter and upgradeable. The Lift kit delivers that but not sure I need or want one yet and I'm waiting for a restricted one so I can use it on normal roads and trails, then when you go to the trail centre or bikepark take it off.......

https://www.lift-mtb.com/accueil-faq-english/

You really think the lift kit is a better option than a factory setup? I really wonder if you have any experience with ebikes at all.
First you have to ride with a 15+lb battery on your back with cables dangling.
Second there is no way that kit is lighter than a Bosch or Shimano motor.
I have a bafang kit on my fat bike and tried to keep the battery in a pack which was not great for many reasons. It's now mounted on the frame.
Second the kit weighs almost 20lbs without the battery.
It was a cheap way of getting a fat Ebike but I wouldn't ever suggest anyone put the kit on a bike that is going to be ridden on rough terrain.

Posted: Mar 31, 2021 at 13:40 Quote
You don't 'have' to use a backpack, there is also a frame mount he supplies...regardless if I used an aftermarket kit, I would use Lipo as I already have loads of them and they have higher burst current and are smaller and lower weight than Lion anyway. Two 4s rc Lipos in series are tiny and weigh bugger all and still have a higher power density. Bolt a battery mount to the bottle cage mounts and away you go. The kit is lighter and more powerful, at least if I used with Lipo for sure, 3.2kg for motor and mount, and around a kg for a couple of decent capacity Lipos. His kit using standard Lion batteries are around 6kg, my Sb165 weighs around 10kg less than most e bikes... So even using standard batteries I'm 4kg lighter than your typical e bike.

O+
Posted: Mar 31, 2021 at 15:09 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
You don't 'have' to use a backpack, there is also a frame mount he supplies...regardless if I used an aftermarket kit, I would use Lipo as I already have loads of them and they have higher burst current and are smaller and lower weight than Lion anyway. Two 4s rc Lipos in series are tiny and weigh bugger all and still have a higher power density. Bolt a battery mount to the bottle cage mounts and away you go. The kit is lighter and more powerful, at least if I used with Lipo for sure, 3.2kg for motor and mount, and around a kg for a couple of decent capacity Lipos. His kit using standard Lion batteries are around 6kg, my Sb165 weighs around 10kg less than most e bikes... So even using standard batteries I'm 4kg lighter than your typical e bike.
Maybe so but you're riding a bike that wasn't designed to have that kind of weight in those locations. Especially a yeti who are know for frame issues.

Posted: Apr 1, 2021 at 13:59 Quote
"In a new mobility law that went into force at the start of the year it's defined that anyone who modifies an e-bike motor to increase its power, could be prosecuted. The perpetrator is facing a 30,000 euro fine and even one year in jail, according to French statutory provision L317-1"

Only a matter of time before some c*nt badly injures or kills someone on a non-legal ebike in the UK, they will bring in much stricter laws.......those that will break the law won't give a shit, but will f*ck it up for the rest of us! We need something like the French now so those individuals get fecked, not the majority....

Posted: Apr 2, 2021 at 3:45 Quote
JasenK wrote:
"In a new mobility law that went into force at the start of the year it's defined that anyone who modifies an e-bike motor to increase its power, could be prosecuted. The perpetrator is facing a 30,000 euro fine and even one year in jail, according to French statutory provision L317-1"

Only a matter of time before some c*nt badly injures or kills someone on a non-legal ebike in the UK, they will bring in much stricter laws.......those that will break the law won't give a shit, but will f*ck it up for the rest of us! We need something like the French now so those individuals get fecked, not the majority....

I think that if the person is riding the ebike on their own private land they should be allowed to do whatever they want, but if they're on public trails/ roads/ footpaths they should 100% get into trouble

Posted: Apr 2, 2021 at 11:40 Quote
For many years folks have popped their mods off to pass emissions, then back on with the super charger and high flow fuel pumps etc. Most new cars run 400 plus hp, some at 750, but speed limit still stands. My girlfriends car will do a buck thirty and still pulls HARD at that point. In fact it gets pissed off and somehow pulls harder than usual run 0 to 100. supercharger on an audi motor, some audobahn shit. Never had the balls to push it even on open roads out west. Way beyond US highway use, and it aint even a burly car. Just a porsche/ vw variant. No mods. We americans want more power than we can use. And we love havin guns around. Why have some candy ass ebike when you can have MOAR power?!! I see people runnin stop signs in town on radpower longtail utility rigs breakin the speed limit every day. Grocery bags and all. forget hopes of reasonable and polite use. Never gonna happen. Police run stop signs here, seems all they care about is drunk drivers and fighting. Some ebike juiced up? They dont care. Yet..

Posted: May 5, 2021 at 23:17 Quote
Looks like us ebikers have our own race event soon in the UK. No more pedalbike riders blocking the transitions by slowly pushing up. Result!
Classes for both standard bikes and those that have a cheeky removal of the 15.5mph limit.

photo

O+
Posted: May 6, 2021 at 8:31 Quote
If ebike racing becomes a big thing it will be interesting to see if smaller riders wind up being the top performers similar to jockeys and horse racing. You would think if everyone is getting a free 250 watts, the lightest rider would have the best watt/kg ratio, i.e. a 50kg rider would get a free 5 watts/kg while a 100kg rider would only get 2.5. Seems like the smaller rider would have a huge advantage.

Posted: May 6, 2021 at 8:40 Quote
fuzzhead45 wrote:
If ebike racing becomes a big thing it will be interesting to see if smaller riders wind up being the top performers similar to jockeys and horse racing. You would think if everyone is getting a free 250 watts, the lightest rider would have the best watt/kg ratio, i.e. a 50kg rider would get a free 5 watts/kg while a 100kg rider would only get 2.5. Seems like the smaller rider would have a huge advantage.

Your math didn’t account for the weight of the moped and rider’s gear. Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

Posted: May 7, 2021 at 3:11 Quote
fuzzhead45 wrote:

I think, but I might be wrong, that these are Gravity Enduro races still? I notice they have them now at World level (EWS-E), typically mostly down stages, and one technical up - the cross country whippets tended to do best in the uphill, but the fast boys downhill still placed at the top! Sounds like a wonderful format / series....the future :-) I do a well known UK gravity enduro race every year on a normal bike (expect for last year due to C19), I comment that it is 5hrs pedaling (slogging) uphill for 20 mins of riding down......

O+
Posted: Aug 9, 2021 at 13:46 Quote
I know we all don't see eye to eye here, but can we at least agree that this thing is an abomination?

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/ruff-cycles-launches-worlds-first-e-dirt-jump-bike.html

O+
Posted: Aug 9, 2021 at 15:50 Quote
fuzzhead45 wrote:
I know we all don't see eye to eye here, but can we at least agree that this thing is an abomination?

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/ruff-cycles-launches-worlds-first-e-dirt-jump-bike.html
Ya, not a fan of this. Don't really see the need for an e jump bike but if people but it then I guess there is a place for it.

Posted: Aug 9, 2021 at 17:27 Quote
fuzzhead45 wrote:

I love ebikes but I can't get on board with this.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013464
Mobile Version of Website