The Post your DH bike thread.

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
The Post your DH bike thread.
Mod
Posted: Sep 15, 2023 at 12:45 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
I'd go Bomber just for the 40mm stanchions over the 35mm's on the Boxxer... especially riding Fontucky, I'd rather have the stability. Active and poppy is just tuning, that's not an innate fork trait... but I'm highly skeptical of anyone claiming a 35mm boxxer is more stable than a 40mm Bomber is more 'stable'

My $0.02 anyhow.
keep forgetting you used to race fontucky. ill ask around some more. i race but im not counting milliseconds so the bomber might be more for me. You coming up on sunday for the dh?

Posted: Sep 15, 2023 at 12:48 Quote
mior wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
I'd go Bomber just for the 40mm stanchions over the 35mm's on the Boxxer... especially riding Fontucky, I'd rather have the stability. Active and poppy is just tuning, that's not an innate fork trait... but I'm highly skeptical of anyone claiming a 35mm boxxer is more stable than a 40mm Bomber is more 'stable'

My $0.02 anyhow.
keep forgetting you used to race fontucky. ill ask around some more. i race but im not counting milliseconds so the bomber might be more for me. You coming up on sunday for the dh?
No, I'm too old to beat myself up on those rocks anymore lol

Mod
Posted: Sep 15, 2023 at 13:10 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
mior wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:

My $0.02 anyhow.
No, I'm too old to beat myself up on those rocks anymore lol
very understandable. southridge is brutal.

Posted: Sep 16, 2023 at 6:44 Quote
masonstevens wrote:
photo

Finally got it put together.

That thing is sick!!! Have you had a chance to ride it yet?

Posted: Sep 16, 2023 at 10:49 Quote
Yeah, I've gone on 3 rides. First impressions are really good, but the BB height is way too low, pedal strikes are very frequent. I had to machine custom offset shock bushings to make the Float X2 fit, it's obvious this bike wasn't designed for a shock that large. The bushings dropped the BB lower than I would've liked. I'd like to try a 27.5/26 mullet set up with custom wheels soon.

Posted: Sep 16, 2023 at 14:06 Quote
mior wrote:
sorta the wrong thread but i need some advice. My DB8 has a boxxer RC with the shitty MoCo damper. For about the same price I can get either an upgraded charger damper or the new bomber 58. I race and dont jump really at all, Ive heard that the bomber is more active and poppy, and the charger is more stable through rough but im not sure
this is my race area to give an idea of what it looks like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S4sLYNhiOE

Does this include selling your current fork

Selling Boxxer RC and buying 58 works out about the same cost as the damper upgrade?

Mod
Posted: Sep 16, 2023 at 20:30 Quote
tom666 wrote:
mior wrote:
sorta the wrong thread but i need some advice. My DB8 has a boxxer RC with the shitty MoCo damper. For about the same price I can get either an upgraded charger damper or the new bomber 58. I race and dont jump really at all, Ive heard that the bomber is more active and poppy, and the charger is more stable through rough but im not sure
this is my race area to give an idea of what it looks like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S4sLYNhiOE

Does this include selling your current fork

Selling Boxxer RC and buying 58 works out about the same cost as the damper upgrade?
buddy has qbp access, 470 for the bomber 250 for the upgrade. could probably get 350ish for the fork

Posted: Sep 17, 2023 at 6:55 Quote
masonstevens wrote:
Yeah, I've gone on 3 rides. First impressions are really good, but the BB height is way too low, pedal strikes are very frequent. I had to machine custom offset shock bushings to make the Float X2 fit, it's obvious this bike wasn't designed for a shock that large. The bushings dropped the BB lower than I would've liked. I'd like to try a 27.5/26 mullet set up with custom wheels soon.

I was going to ask what you thought of the stock BB height but if it's lower with those offset bushings then I can see why you have concerns lol. I tried what I could with mine including going to the top of the stanchions on my fork and a stiffer spring in my DHX2 Coil but it was still too low. In the end I wanted a newer/nicer fork anyways so I went with a 190mm 27.5 Zeb Ultimate. The BB now feels low enough, but not too low, and the bike got a bit slacker with a head angle just under 62*. Have you tried flipping the direction of one or both of the offset bushings?

Posted: Sep 25, 2023 at 11:02 Quote
Finally built a bike that fits me , 2016 large V10cc for a 5’6 person
photo

Posted: Sep 26, 2023 at 9:28 Quote
millsr4 wrote:
masonstevens wrote:

I was going to ask what you thought of the stock BB height but if it's lower with those offset bushings then I can see why you have concerns lol. I tried what I could with mine including going to the top of the stanchions on my fork and a stiffer spring in my DHX2 Coil but it was still too low. In the end I wanted a newer/nicer fork anyways so I went with a 190mm 27.5 Zeb Ultimate. The BB now feels low enough, but not too low, and the bike got a bit slacker with a head angle just under 62*. Have you tried flipping the direction of one or both of the offset bushings?

I never rode it with the stock BB height. I bought the bike and immediately tore it apart and started upgrading. I bought the Float X2 but the diameter of the barrel was too large to fit in the channel of the rocker arm. It fit but the rocker arm touched the shock. I made two offset bushings, and it shortened the eye-to-eye enough to make the shock fit. The BB was too low so I replaced one offset bushing with a standard one and there was still enough clearance. BB height is still an issue though. Next I'll slide the stanchions down in the clamps, but if the bb height continues to be a problem, I'll get some 160mm cranks.

Posted: Oct 5, 2023 at 16:41 Quote
simple single speed spare parts scream. you dont need a modern geo 29er to go fast down hills

simple single speed spare parts scream. you dont need a modern geo 29er to go fast down hills

Don't see many of these around anymore. They're still sick and can keep up with the rest!

Mod
Posted: Oct 5, 2023 at 18:05 Quote
I love modern banshees as well

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.028401
Mobile Version of Website