2021 Stumpjumper

PB Forum :: Specialized
2021 Stumpjumper
Posted: Jun 1, 2021 at 13:41 Quote
connerkuhns wrote:
I'm 6'1" but with longer legs that my buddy who's 6'5", I ride the S5 with 50mm stem and it feels perfect. To each their own on how they prefer their ride, but the seat tube length thing had me scratching my head..

27.53lbs of fun

That's my bike with the new Fox Transfer post in 200mm, saddle height is 81.5cm..

Yeah, I’m 6’4 with a 38” inseam and this is where I have to run my seat on an S6. I honestly would run it even a tad higher if I could but I don’t want to run it past the min insertion point.

photo

Posted: Jun 1, 2021 at 23:48 Quote
Yeah these are good comparison photos to see them w/the droppers extended. So often we're looking at the bikes with the droppers down.
This is my 2019 I mentioned, not the best photo, I just had this pic' up there, S5/XL. This is the command post with I'm pretty certain is 160mm travel:
My friend rode a 26 Rockhopper w 100mm travel on our ride in the woods today. He pwned wit that thing Roots rocks logs everything
@BryanBobo
BTW- I love the look of these stumpys in that flat carbon black. Your bike looks great w/everything all black like that!

~JSV

Posted: Jun 2, 2021 at 2:31 Quote
BryanBobo wrote:
connerkuhns wrote:
I'm 6'1" but with longer legs that my buddy who's 6'5", I ride the S5 with 50mm stem and it feels perfect. To each their own on how they prefer their ride, but the seat tube length thing had me scratching my head..

27.53lbs of fun

That's my bike with the new Fox Transfer post in 200mm, saddle height is 81.5cm..

Yeah, I’m 6’4 with a 38” inseam and this is where I have to run my seat on an S6. I honestly would run it even a tad higher if I could but I don’t want to run it past the min insertion point.

photo

For reference here was mine. S6, standard dropper (190mm). This was before I changed the bars/stem and added a bigger chainring and smaller cassette due to riding preferences.

As noted I'm 6'5", 36" inseam.

The one that lasted 2 weeks

Posted: Jun 3, 2021 at 2:11 Quote
Hi,

Have one of you tried a fidlock bottle on the swat door?
Thanks!

Posted: Jun 3, 2021 at 10:22 Quote
Brodybro29 wrote:
Hi,

Have one of you tried a fidlock bottle on the swat door?
Thanks!
That's like the one with no cage, that twists out? Does it clip-on or has a magnet or something?

Sounds like a good idea actually if you can mount it to the SWAT with the short bolts. I'd imagine it would be easy to take off due to the DPX2 with the piggy-back reservoir limiting my bottle length. Is that right, would it work well with that?

~JSV

Posted: Jun 3, 2021 at 14:08 Quote
Hi JSV,

Yes that’s a kind of magnet system if I understood well, I’ve never seen in real but on the pictures it looks tidier than a bottle cage.
I guess it might be easier to remove the bottle with the piggyback as well but it would be nice to get some feedback from somebody who used it already !

Posted: Jun 3, 2021 at 14:33 Quote
The standard side entry cage is nice, but like @scaryguitars said, with the EVO, even on my S5, you're sort of stuck with a small 20oz bottle. I can fit a 24oz, but it rubs against the DHX2 piggyback. I've debated trying a Wolf Tooth cage to offset things back a little, since there's room going towards the bb.

Posted: Jun 5, 2021 at 16:48 Quote
Anyone have any thoughts on the rear shock? I have a 2021 SJ s-works that came with the FOX factory float DPS. I adjusted it all kinds of ways and it just feels flat to me. Hard to explain. Sort of dead. I have the largest volume spacer installed, run about 20 sag, possibly a little less. I still blow through all of the travel without pushing the fun meter off the stanchion tube. And it just trail riding, nothing too hairy.
I actually had to send it in for service under warranty to address fluid loss and a wonky rebound adjuster. Still not right.
Anyway, not in love with the shock and looking for options.

Posted: Jun 5, 2021 at 19:07 Quote
I just noticed the suspension calculator finally seems to be working on the Spec website for 2021 Evos. I plugged in my numbers and got what seems a crazy amount of pressure for the rear shock. At 80kg its suggesting 241psi but I currently run 220psi giving me just slightly less than 25% sag and that is supposed to firm according to Fox. Anyone tried using the Specialized numbers and should I be? Sounds like a harsh ride.

Posted: Jun 6, 2021 at 4:36 Quote
MattPK wrote:
Anyone have any thoughts on the rear shock? I have a 2021 SJ s-works that came with the FOX factory float DPS. I adjusted it all kinds of ways and it just feels flat to me. Hard to explain. Sort of dead. I have the largest volume spacer installed, run about 20 sag, possibly a little less. I still blow through all of the travel without pushing the fun meter off the stanchion tube. And it just trail riding, nothing too hairy.
I actually had to send it in for service under warranty to address fluid loss and a wonky rebound adjuster. Still not right.

Same experience. I have this constant feel of “Hm - I must have left the climb switch on” while descending only to realize it wasn’t on. However I am still using most of my travel so it’s not like it’s purely a pressure thing.

Posted: Jun 6, 2021 at 5:49 Quote
MattPK wrote:

We had the discussion few pages before, on my side I went the other way around with the spacers in the DPS after trying all the way to the biggest one available: I have removed all the negative ones and swap the 0.6in3 for the 0.4in3 in the positive chamber. Need much more pressure now than the specialized calculator recommends to have a proper sag (I think around 60psi over recommandation) but very happy with the result for my local trails where I have a lot of technical sections with slippy roots and off cambers.
Have you tried the high position flip chip? It’s also something I am experimenting at the moment and except few times in very steep sections where I felt like I’m gonna go over the bar I find the position more playful. So might try high position with one spacer more under the stem.

Posted: Jun 6, 2021 at 14:51 Quote
MattPK wrote:

Yep same feeling here. BUT then I also realized I'm posting my fastest times on the stumpy on rough terrain... so that 'dead' feeling seems to be translating to SPEED. I feel slow on the stumpy compared to the YT Jeffsy it replaced, but I am definitely faster on it. I put the largest positive chamber spacer available for the shock in there and haven't looked back. It rides great.

It uses travel much more actively than the jeffsy did, but It doesn't feel like it hard bottoms or anything.

By the way- I am on an S2 and weigh 125 lbs. This sort of info seems to be important on suspension feel and setup. On my previous 3 full suspension trail bikes I used no volume tokens at all. Big change for me to run max tokens.

O+
Posted: Jun 7, 2021 at 9:59 Quote
if you're not loving the shock, try taking a negative spacer out. pull the air can all the way off and remove one or several of the green rings. As a compromise you have to run more pressure, i think im up to 230 psi now at 180lbs with a 0.6cc positive spacer, but it feels more supple off the top and has a bit more mid stroke support. also try speeding up rebound, makes the rear end feel less 'dead'

Posted: Jun 7, 2021 at 11:10 Quote
MattPK wrote:

When you say you use all the travel... Are you actually having a harsh bottom out? Or are you noticing that the sag indicator is all the way at the bottom after riding a trail? If you're using all the travel but not having a harsh bottom out, your suspension is probably working well. Rebound setting are also going to have a good amount of effect on how "lively" it feels. Further, suspension that you don't notice under you, that doesn't feel like much is suspension working well..

O+
Posted: Jun 7, 2021 at 11:37 Quote
When it comes to using all the rear travel, that’s not a negative unless it’s bottoming harshly or frequently. I’ll be building an SJ up soon and from what I’m reading it sounds like it handles most stuff very well except some of the larger drops, etc. I keep my wheels on the ground most of the time with primarily XC riding so hopefully I like it. I run my bikes on the soft side anyway.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014599
Mobile Version of Website