Am I really losing out by getting FIT4 instead of GRIP2?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Am I really losing out by getting FIT4 instead of GRIP2?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 15:22 Quote
So in the process of building a new trail bike and am stuck on which Fox 36 160mm to get. I guess I have similar system to the FIT4 on my 831 34 with the preset adjustments, and it does me well on my dj, and I have a fairly decent deal on the FIT lined up, but would I regret not spending a little more on the GRIP2?

I don't really consider myself the most "tinkery' person but is the option of much more adjustability totally worth passing up on saving a couple hundred $$ on a FIT4?

Thanks in advanced!

O+
Posted: Jan 28, 2021 at 13:57 Quote
Jeddi7 wrote:
So in the process of building a new trail bike and am stuck on which Fox 36 160mm to get. I guess I have similar system to the FIT4 on my 831 34 with the preset adjustments, and it does me well on my dj, and I have a fairly decent deal on the FIT lined up, but would I regret not spending a little more on the GRIP2?

I don't really consider myself the most "tinkery' person but is the option of much more adjustability totally worth passing up on saving a couple hundred $$ on a FIT4?

Thanks in advanced!

The Grip 2 or even the Grip damper in the lower-end (or Marzocchi) products is a huge leap from the Fit 4. Better small bump, more supportive, and more adjustable. On a budget, I would get the Marzocchi Z1. If you have the cash, get the Grip 2.

Posted: Jan 28, 2021 at 15:12 Quote
Grip 1 like in the budget Fox and Marzocchi is a very comfortable damper, but I wouldn't say it has more tuning options than FIT4, it has 1 lever on the top as a compression dial... Fit 4 has seperate hsc/lsc...

As far as grip 2 yea that's all the bells and whistles, more expensive and tuneable, but for the average Joe in the middle of Fox's recommended weight range who just wants a set it and forget it damper that is supple over small bumps Grip 1 is good enough.

O+
Posted: Jan 28, 2021 at 15:24 Quote
True. I meant grip 2 is more adjustable. Grip is set it and forget it.

Posted: Jan 28, 2021 at 16:58 Quote
The important difference is not adjustability. There is no adjustment on a mediocre damper to turn it into a good damper. If it was just a matter of adjustability, damper performance wouldn't have progressed in the past half-century: we could just adjust the ancient dampers until they had ideal performance. Now how it works, especially for people whose weight and riding style are in the middle of the bell curve, for whom a non-adjustable damper is already set about right.

As others have said, the GRIP2 is far better. Even the GRIP is considerably better, without adjustability.

Posted: Jan 28, 2021 at 18:40 Quote
Moved from a performance level Grip to the Grip 2 Factory. Yes, the factory is better, but it is not worlds better. The Grip is pretty dern good for what it is.

Posted: Jan 28, 2021 at 18:44 Quote
gmoss wrote:
The Grip is pretty dern good for what it is.

It really is.

Posted: Jan 28, 2021 at 21:14 Quote
Cheers for all the responses guys. I’m in no rush to make a decision and I’m more than happy to stretch for the Grip2 if the difference is that discernible. I’ll sus out some in some shops in the meantime!

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 9:27 Quote
Another vote for spending a bit more on GRIP or GRIP2.

I have a 140mm FIT4 36 and it is definitely a limiting factor on the bikes capability.

O+
Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 21:37 Quote
I’m going to be unpopular and say the Grip2 is really meant for people who want/need HSC/LSC/HSR/LSC abilities and have the ability to know what the adjustments do. It will be very easy to make a fork that feels terrible if misadjusted.

That being said, I’ve never liked FIT4 in the 36, was never satisfied with the factory adjustments, and pretty much always left it open no matter what. Then I installed vorspung fractive valving for my weight range and Luftkappe and that made a major difference and the fork really became something I enjoyed. The fractive valve was already right inline with my set and largely forget riding style, the top 3 position adjust is changed from LSC(lockout and platform) to a HSC(party time) adjuster. It’s unfortunate that it took another $200 to make the 36 something I could live with.

I would say Fit4 is fine, try it if you don’t like it you could do something like I did, or just pick up a grip2 damper and swap the damper cartridge out.

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 22:09 Quote
Get the FIT4 and send the damper to Michael Barbaro at Full Flow Suspension in Auburn, CA. He will install a Vorsprung Fractive piston and valve tuned to your weight for around $130 shipped. What a night and day difference! I also have the smashpot coil conversion in my 36. I don’t think I can ever go back to air spring forks.

Posted: Jan 30, 2021 at 2:26 Quote
I have a Push tuned FIT 36 from TF Tuned, and it's wonderful. Just sayin'.

O+
Posted: Aug 17, 2023 at 16:15 Quote
i have a FIT4 factory and a Grip2 Factory, both on Intense bikes. i can't really tell a difference. i don't ride often enough or put in the effort to learn all the adjustments on the Grip2. i've set the factory recommended settings and set pressure for desired sag and thats it. maybe the fork is soo good it works on small bump and large jump. if i roll up to a large jump i just turn both C dials up 10 clicks.

I do like my FIT4.. while pedalling i set to medium and when i go down i set to open, smooth shuttle trail up i'll set to firm just to avoid any pedal bob

Posted: Aug 18, 2023 at 2:19 Quote
Which is easier to service or needs less effort and parts to service ?
Which will have better parts support ?

I have an older FIT RC2 damper, no longer supported for service parts, now unusable,
also have a VAN R damper around same age as above, no longer supported for
parts, however, its reliable enough that it only needs oil change when lowers are serviced,
providing I look after it, still going strong at 13 yrs old.

My 2018 Fox 36 FIT RC2 has now succumb to the same obsolete status, so a used GRIP damper from
a Z1 fits in there and requires less attention, parts than the previous Fox FIT RC2.

Posted: Aug 19, 2023 at 12:29 Quote
That is crazy, I had not realised they were being made obsolete at that rate.
2018! That is 5 years old.
As long as you can get seals from somewhere DIY (or even places like Sprung Suspension) should be able to service or repair.

Even so that is shocking.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007895
Mobile Version of Website