PB Forum :: Transition
2021 patrol date???
Posted: Mar 15, 2022 at 6:10 Quote
Tuna-Flapjack wrote:
Mike172 wrote:
Got a knock/rattle that's really starting to boil my piss

Sounds like the internal cable routing foam but not sure

Can be replicated but dropping the bikes back wheel on a hard floor

Thought it was the dropper but I've changed that for a Fox transfer and it still does it

Pretty sure the bolts are all good and torqued

Any ideas?

might be worth having a look over pages 87-89 of here don't know if you might be seeing this issue we are on the current carbon spires, easy fix however.

https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=229783&pagenum=89

Thanks mate , been keeping an eye on the Spire thread, I dont think its loose linkages or anything. Im almost confident there is no play or movement.

Just going to take some time to diagnose. Got AX GX on the way to remove the cables for the gears and going to use some pipe insulation to try remove any dropper cable rattle (Mine has the foam round the cables already)

I think it might be the dropper if im honest but I fitted a Fox transfer to replace the Oneup and it still makes the same noise noise.

Posted: Mar 29, 2022 at 12:48 Quote
Had the rear shock spacer removed so that's 170 170 now. Much improved, no more the strange behaviour where it felt harsh and felt like it was sat well into its travel. Probably seem a bit stupid but at 160mm it honestly felt like someone shoved a 10mm spacer in there and it wasn't allowed to move up and down the whole length of the travel and it rode like crap.

photo

Transition responded to me about this rattle. Said the Patrol has the same issue as the Spire and suggested I removed 1mm or more off the nubs of the flip chips. Not sure thats where the rattle is coming from but I'll start there. I can't keep riding it like it is as its horrendous.

Also going to check the bearings as I've seen that post in the Spire thread about a collapsed bearing. Find that difficult to believe since it's done it since day 1

Posted: Apr 1, 2022 at 0:37 Quote
Its not 1mm of the flip chip, its 1mm of the chainstay/seatstay hardware. Other items to check are the universal derailleur mount (dont tighten to 25nm 10nm will do with loctite), the bolt can be threaded all the way through the flip chip (out of the bike) and if running carbon all bearings are seated correctly. Mainly where the chainstay meets the front triangle.

Posted: Apr 1, 2022 at 2:33 Quote
Tuna-Flapjack wrote:
Its not 1mm of the flip chip, its 1mm of the chainstay/seatstay hardware. Other items to check are the universal derailleur mount (dont tighten to 25nm 10nm will do with loctite), the bolt can be threaded all the way through the flip chip (out of the bike) and if running carbon all bearings are seated correctly. Mainly where the chainstay meets the front triangle.

I've done that too (or some of them at least). But transition literally sent me some photos of the flip chip mount hardware with the ends ground down.

Yet to ride it

Posted: Apr 3, 2022 at 2:19 Quote
Thats odd not herd about that as a solution over in the Spire forum.

Posted: May 3, 2022 at 4:59 Quote
Thinking about running a coil on the rear end. Why? I guess just for a change... What's people's experience with a coil like so far? Considering an Ohlins - wondering if I increase the travel to 170mm whilst I'm there although that would add some cost of doing it to the Zeb too

Posted: May 3, 2022 at 7:51 Quote
I like mine at 170 170 but it can be a pain to get moving from stop.

Once its up to speed its fine, in fact it seems to go faster but maybe just me letting off the brakes while the bikes eating up whatever its been fed.

Ive actually jammed it with 2 spacers to try help with the squat when pedalling

O+
Posted: May 6, 2022 at 13:18 Quote
Anyone know or heard anything about transition coming out with a carbon patrol anytime soon?!

O+
Posted: May 6, 2022 at 16:05 Quote
The alloy is everything you could ever want. Carbon, shmarbon.

O+
Posted: May 16, 2022 at 13:05 Quote
sorryiamtheboss wrote:
Thinking about running a coil on the rear end. Why? I guess just for a change... What's people's experience with a coil like so far? Considering an Ohlins - wondering if I increase the travel to 170mm whilst I'm there although that would add some cost of doing it to the Zeb too

Curious about this too. Second time in 6 months I’ve had issues with the factory X2 so looking for suggestions of coils that people are using. Leaning towards stock 205x60 DHX2 just because it’s available locally but open to other suggestions (besides push) as I’ve never ran a coil before.

O+
Posted: May 20, 2022 at 2:03 Quote
kottosen wrote:
Anyone know or heard anything about transition coming out with a carbon patrol anytime soon?!

No, but I'm interested. It might be enough to get me to do a frame swap for my 2019 Patrol

O+
Posted: May 22, 2022 at 20:15 Quote
rich-2000 wrote:
WarmHamburger wrote:
Lando406 wrote:

What size are you riding and how tall are you?

I’m 6’ riding a large. Fit feels good to me. Gonna ride at the bike park this weekend. Will report back on how the Patrol rides.

Thats good to hear. i’m 6’1” and ordered large. I found the old patrol a little small, but the new bikes size up a little bigger - large scout and large spur fit me perfect

How are you getting along with the size Large at 6'1 ?
I parking lot tested a large today and felt good but going to test an XL as well.

Posted: Jun 25, 2022 at 2:37 Quote
More bitching and moaning about the 22 Patrol, nearly 6 months in and still the noises over rough terrain persist.
Easy to replicate in the street riding over a deep drain cover, get this 'bop' sound coming from the shock area.
It doesn't sounds like cable rattle, it sounds more like loose linkage. Or it sounds like the dropper rattling.

Hugely distracting over rougher terrain. Wont put up with it for much longer. If it turns out to be the X2 then fair enough an easy but expensive fix and expected from the shitty fox quality control, I will replace with something not from fox. If its the frame then it'll be the last time I ever buy anything from transition.

Remaining tests:

Ride without the derailleur/chain installed
Ride with a different shock (borrowing a float X with a shorter stroke so don't know if it'll fit - should do)
Replace UDH with CNC one
Replace all FSA headset components
Ride without crankarms or BB installed

Done So far:

Checked linkages for play in all directions and nothing obvious
Filed down all mounting hardware (there was no play in them anyway)
Checked all linkages, bolts for torque spec, plus thread locked
Checked UDH and wheel for play and torque
Checked all bearings in frame and wheels
Installed AX GX to remove 1 cable
Dropper cable zip-tied internally at frequent intervals (it doesn't sound like a cable rattle to me)
X2 serviced under warranty, x2 travel spacer removed to 170mm
Ride it without the dropper post (does sound like the dropper might be rattling, but still makes the noise without it installed)
Rode it with generous amounts of rubber tube installed to stop chain slap
Checked headset for play many times
Replaced headset bearings with Ritchey Gold (nice and snug) - still on FSA cups and top cap and compression
Serviced the 38's fully bushes included, and tried a totally separate set of 38s
Tried different wheels
Checked alignment on the shock like the Spire has a problem with, its spot on
Checked for bad welds or cracks - nothing obvious and the problem hasn't got worse
Tried XT and Code brakes
Checked chain length
Tried Fox transfer and Oneup droppers (neither of which rattle on my 22 Levo)
Tried riding with both the AX GX and a mechanical XO1 derailleur

e/ to add today

Rode without dropper
Rode without any internal cables
Rode (as best I could) without the BB installed
Rode without derailleur

Couldn't fit the Float X as it had different lower mounting hardware and didn't bring my removal stuff

Based on the above 6 month shit show I am confident this is now one of the following:

The X2 (Its been serviced under warranty and the noise doesn't strike me as being the shock but you never know)
The linkage hardware or bearings
The Headset (Highly unlikely though, drop off a kerb and the 'bop' noise occurs on the rear wheel not the front)

Edit 2.

Installed a new lower hope cup and bearing and a nukeproof reducer zs56 28.6 and the rattle remains. But the front end is tight as anything now. Best it's felt.

New 2023 rockshox SD coil ordered

If its still rattling then it'll be onto replacing bearings and linkage hardware

Then I'm going to sell it for scrap and never go near transition again

Posted: Jun 27, 2022 at 12:56 Quote
kottosen wrote:

That would be cool. I know a lot of people will say there is no need for carbon but that's OK. If they release a carbon version it's unlikely that the alloy will go away.

O+
Posted: Jun 27, 2022 at 13:32 Quote
Any recommendations for coil spring rate? I'm about 210 lbs kitted up. Starting with a 450 lb spring, since that's what the calculators told me to do, but interested in hearing anyone else's recommendations.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013154
Mobile Version of Website