Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
Posted: Sep 6, 2023 at 13:41 Quote
nwberm wrote:
Why does this thread exist when Trailforks has trail condition reports built in?

photo

O+
Posted: Sep 7, 2023 at 6:39 Quote
nwberm wrote:
Why does this thread exist when Trailforks has trail condition reports built in?

Genuine question

Listen, Newborn - this thread has been rolling since the Dawn of Pinkbike.

Posted: Sep 7, 2023 at 12:22 Quote
nwberm wrote:

Genuine question

This thread exists for only 2 reasons. For people to ask whats open in the spring when there is clearly nothing open and for Cromag to complain about change.

O+
Posted: Sep 7, 2023 at 14:41 Quote
employee7 wrote:
nwberm wrote:

Genuine question

This thread exists for only 2 reasons. For people to ask whats open in the spring when there is clearly nothing open and for Cromag to complain about change.

I still habitually check this thread every single day... there is always some gold within this chatter.

Trail Update: All trails are clear of snow and good to ride! Go get it! Also there was a bear in the area so watch out for that single bear, and climbers going up a DH track so watch out for that group of climbers.

O+
Posted: Sep 7, 2023 at 16:59 Quote
Sugar Momma was grippy and fast last night in the rain and hail!

Posted: Sep 7, 2023 at 18:01 Quote
Hows moose? Will it dry out ok? Gunna slap it up this weekend

O+
Posted: Sep 7, 2023 at 18:29 Quote
As we're getting into the grove (again). PVJP was fine yesterday evening... slick roots from a 15 minute down pour but otherwise all good.

O+
Posted: Sep 8, 2023 at 2:13 Quote
employee7 wrote:
nwberm wrote:

Genuine question

I kinda miss the days when people would ask when the gate opens at moose

Posted: Sep 8, 2023 at 10:54 Quote
VPS13 wrote:
employee7 wrote:
nwberm wrote:

Genuine question

I kinda miss the days when people would ask when the gate opens at moose

I know it's March and there is still 2 feet of snow on my front lawn but has anyone been out to TW yet?

Posted: Sep 8, 2023 at 12:14 Quote
nwberm wrote:

Genuine question

Don't forget some of us old buggers wont pay for trail forks.

Posted: Sep 8, 2023 at 17:09 Quote
The rando's question has rejuvenated the thread!

O+
Posted: Sep 8, 2023 at 19:18 Quote
Best comments on this thread in forever!

Posted: Sep 8, 2023 at 22:04 Quote
2023 09 08: Powderface Creek, Trail Creek, Prairie Creek long loop

TL;DR: Wet, eroded, very old-school.

Powderface Creek climbs are heavily eroded and it would be quite an achievement to fully clean the most difficult sections beyond the Prairie Link connector. Surprising amount of mud for this time of the season. Descent to Trail Creek is in fair shape, though there are erosion channels that require caution.

Trail Creek: Fine at first, then overgrown for the latter half. Still better than riding the road, though.

Prairie Creek: Also surprisingly wet. Less erosion than Powderface Creek. Some sections of trail west of the Link are fully grown over with grass, but they're fairly short and the rolling resistance wasn't too annoying, just remarkable how little traffic the trail must get these days. Couple trees across the trail.

O+
Posted: Sep 10, 2023 at 8:35 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
2003 09 08: Powderface Creek, Trail Creek, Prairie Creek long loop

TL;DR: Wet, eroded, very old-school.

Powderface Creek climbs are heavily eroded and it would be quite an achievement to fully clean the most difficult sections beyond the Prairie Link connector. Surprising amount of mud for this time of the season. Descent to Trail Creek is in fair shape, though there are erosion channels that require caution.

Trail Creek: Fine at first, then overgrown for the latter half. Still better than riding the road, though.

Prairie Creek: Also surprisingly wet. Less erosion than Powderface Creek. Some sections of trail west of the Link are fully grown over with grass, but they're fairly short and the rolling resistance wasn't too annoying, just remarkable how little traffic the trail must get these days. Couple trees across the trail.

Fixed it for you Big Grin
Same as it ever was!
Came to PB mainly to check the BuySell, and instead find some action here. Trail report:
No shuttle buddy or E, and I didn't feel up for 14 km of gravel to do JP-Cox, so I rode the basic Jumpingpound Ridge loop (Summit to Lusk) yesterday.
Great conditions throughout, with the road portion actually being enjoyable thanks to light traffic and very little loose gravel or washboarding. Summit climb was about the same as always, but the root gardens midway are getting worse year by year. On the positive side I cleaned one rocky spot that was always iffy for me, even 20 years ago. Still some life left in the old legs! The descent was fast and fun, but as much as I sometimes bash the current bermification trend, those flat loose corners lower down towards Lusk could use a bit of that.
photo

O+
Posted: Sep 10, 2023 at 11:19 Quote
Forgot to add that the western 3.5 km of Powderface is getting 240k thrown at it for upgrades, with construction in 2024.
https://kananaskis.org/powderface-creek-trail-project/?fbclid=IwAR0fcpoyMMHStBjIe1HiWrCZy9FtvqiVtlMPKLBE_ajOSz1qRei-AICVGe4

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016864
Mobile Version of Website