Powered by Outside

Neck Issues - Time to Fix or Quit

PB Forum :: Downhill
Neck Issues - Time to Fix or Quit

Author Message
O+
Posted: Aug 6, 2025 at 10:04 Quote
Hey all,
Posting here hoping that someone else has gone through this and could provide their feedback. I'm 43, and after my last trip downhill riding ended up having debilitating pain in shoulder and numbness through my arm and fingers. A few MRIs later and the sports medicine doc said I have severe foraminal stenosis in my neck...narrowing of the hole the nerve root comes out of my spine, and pretty much told me I will have to give up trail riding and downhill.

Doing lots of PT, dry needling, etc... Has any other ride dealt with these issues? Been off the bike for a few months and have a few more months to go, but will also try some narrower bars, higher rise, and a shorter stem to try and get a little less stretched, too.

Appreciate any help!

Posted: Aug 11, 2025 at 2:13 Quote
theflatlanders wrote:
Hey all,
Posting here hoping that someone else has gone through this and could provide their feedback. I'm 43, and after my last trip downhill riding ended up having debilitating pain in shoulder and numbness through my arm and fingers. A few MRIs later and the sports medicine doc said I have severe foraminal stenosis in my neck...narrowing of the hole the nerve root comes out of my spine, and pretty much told me I will have to give up trail riding and downhill.

Doing lots of PT, dry needling, etc... Has any other ride dealt with these issues? Been off the bike for a few months and have a few more months to go, but will also try some narrower bars, higher rise, and a shorter stem to try and get a little less stretched, too.

Appreciate any help!

Wow thats unfortunate. I didint have such problems but how long have you been riding and how often, that you developed such issues?

I would not disregard such issues if I were you. You have one spine and if it gets narrower, your life will turn into hell.

Posted: Aug 11, 2025 at 12:42 Quote
theflatlanders wrote:
Hey all,
Posting here hoping that someone else has gone through this and could provide their feedback. I'm 43, and after my last trip downhill riding ended up having debilitating pain in shoulder and numbness through my arm and fingers. A few MRIs later and the sports medicine doc said I have severe foraminal stenosis in my neck...narrowing of the hole the nerve root comes out of my spine, and pretty much told me I will have to give up trail riding and downhill.

Doing lots of PT, dry needling, etc... Has any other ride dealt with these issues? Been off the bike for a few months and have a few more months to go, but will also try some narrower bars, higher rise, and a shorter stem to try and get a little less stretched, too.

Appreciate any help!

Go see a specialist. Your riding days are 100% not over, not even close.

If your Dr gave the correct diagnosis then you'll likely need a very simple surgery to fix called foraminotomy. If its a different nerve pinch in the cervical area then there are other surgeries to fix this (laminectomy or fusion). You just need to get the bone compression off the nerve.

Bottom line, this is not something to worry about and the sooner you get surgery the better. Try a round or 2 of cortisone shots. But seriously, if that does not work then do not hesitate or waste time. Just get surgery.

Posted: Aug 11, 2025 at 19:00 Quote
Also consider your diet. All processed food is inflammatory. Eat meat, cheese fruits and veggies. Don't eat corn syrup sugar, seed oils (processed food always has it cause it's cheap), and bread. Minimize or eliminate alcohol, it's a poison.

Posted: Aug 12, 2025 at 8:56 Quote
Yeah, but really we should all just have our stomachs surgically replaced with gearboxes.

  • Previous Page
  • Next Page

 


Copyright © 2000 - 2026. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008520
Mobile Version of Website