What brakes are people running?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What brakes are people running?
Posted: Feb 17, 2021 at 0:59 Quote
Intend have stopped selling rotors now IIRC, though they were made by brakestuff anyway so you can still get similar ones, if not identical.

Posted: Feb 17, 2021 at 1:42 Quote
Oh I didn't know, that explains why a quick google didn't give me a link to the intend website to buy them...

Posted: Feb 17, 2021 at 8:30 Quote
I had a hard time finding those too, but I did get a look a few images of the Aero rotors and yes they DO look slick.

There's another I found interesting, SwissStop Catalyst, but looks like they're also big on the floating rotor, and honestly I'm listening to you all here and kind of not as interested in the floating rotor as I was at first.

BTW- I did measure again and unless I have something different, the Sram centerlines on my SJ measure at 200mm and 2mm thick on my caliper.

I can wait on the decision for the rotors. These are good for now, and with everything else I'm doing, Cascade link, new shock, have my Deity bars now, etc, My last steps are the Renthal stem--and the rotors IF I think I should improve them. Definitely going to 200 on the rear though.

~JSV

Posted: Feb 19, 2021 at 22:12 Quote
As mentioned before, I have sram code RS brakes, which were factory brakes on my YT capra 29. It came with 200mm sram centerline rotors, and although brake modulation was good, I felt like I could use more power. So I decided to upgrade to 220mm sram centwrline rotors. Now, I could be wrong, but I believe that they are all the same thickness. I don't recall having a different "bite point" on my lever action when I swapped to bigger rotors. What I have noticed is that the bigger rotors are quite prone to wobbling around and contacting the pads while riding much more so than the 200mm rotors. Of course, there is more stopping power associated with going bigger. Just a few days ago, I purchased some 220mm Magura floating rotors. The MDR-P variety. Which are much stiffer and much quieter than the sram centerline rotors. It's too soon to call, by I also feel like they definitely increase the braking power even further. I'd say these are some of, if not the best rotors available.

Posted: Feb 20, 2021 at 7:46 Quote
Are these the rotors you use:
https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/products/magura-mdr-p-disc-rotor-203mm-6-bolt
I know it's marketed as an e-bike rotor, it's still a 6 bolt

I hear what you're saying about the larger rotors. For my riding and these powerful Code RSC brakes I have I don't have a need for anything more than the 200mm (although some are sized as 203)

There are so many similarities, the more I look at these the more I think it starts coming down to materials. I do like that the SwissStop Catalyst boasts no 90 degree anywhere on the rotor. Everyone that uses the Maguras you have has told me all good things and long lasting with harder compound pads.

~JSV

Posted: Feb 21, 2021 at 12:55 Quote
220 rotors are waiting for you HOPE, cmon, bring back those big un hubs Smile

Posted: Feb 21, 2021 at 13:27 Quote
brassinne wrote:
As mentioned before, I have sram code RS brakes, which were factory brakes on my YT capra 29. It came with 200mm sram centerline rotors, and although brake modulation was good, I felt like I could use more power. So I decided to upgrade to 220mm sram centwrline rotors. Now, I could be wrong, but I believe that they are all the same thickness. I don't recall having a different "bite point" on my lever action when I swapped to bigger rotors. What I have noticed is that the bigger rotors are quite prone to wobbling around and contacting the pads while riding much more so than the 200mm rotors. Of course, there is more stopping power associated with going bigger. Just a few days ago, I purchased some 220mm Magura floating rotors. The MDR-P variety. Which are much stiffer and much quieter than the sram centerline rotors. It's too soon to call, by I also feel like they definitely increase the braking power even further. I'd say these are some of, if not the best rotors available.

The MDR-P rotors are great, I have them at both ends of the bike with Code RSC's and love it, more power but easier to modulate that power I find.

Posted: Feb 21, 2021 at 17:14 Quote
@exmouthlocal

I have those too, the Code RSC's. And you're using those Magura MDR P. I'll seriously consider that when I change the rotors. That seems to be where this thread has been leading me. Did you try anything else w/the Code RSC's before the Magura's?

~JSV

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 at 0:14 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
@exmouthlocal

I have those too, the Code RSC's. And you're using those Magura MDR P. I'll seriously consider that when I change the rotors. That seems to be where this thread has been leading me. Did you try anything else w/the Code RSC's before the Magura's?

~JSV

I came from Shimano XT Icetech 203 and 180 rotors, I never got on with the centrelines which came stock, I found them too noisy when wet.

Picked up a new bike and was going to go 203 front and rear and then saw the MDR-P's in 220 and went for it, do not regret it!

O+
Posted: Feb 22, 2021 at 5:58 Quote
For anyone considering 220+, make sure your fork and frame are compatible. Many are not.
I mean you can run em, you just may not get to keep your warranty.

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 at 6:37 Quote
Hmmmmmm...now I am curious about the mdr-p 220 rotors. I love the 220mm centerline rotors that I have but if the Maguras are even better...

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 at 8:45 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
Are these the rotors you use:
https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/products/magura-mdr-p-disc-rotor-203mm-6-bolt
I know it's marketed as an e-bike rotor, it's still a 6 bolt

I hear what you're saying about the larger rotors. For my riding and these powerful Code RSC brakes I have I don't have a need for anything more than the 200mm (although some are sized as 203)

There are so many similarities, the more I look at these the more I think it starts coming down to materials. I do like that the SwissStop Catalyst boasts no 90 degree anywhere on the rotor. Everyone that uses the Maguras you have has told me all good things and long lasting with harder compound pads.

~JSV
Yes, these are them. I don't think they are the prettiest rotors out there, but they do perform well.

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 at 18:27 Quote
No definitely, by now I'm convinced. With you and a few others here, as well as everyone else I've heard this from, I'm convinced about these MDRP rotors.

Hey I even kinda' like the way they look. Orange bolts will solve that too lol! When it's time, I'll get the 203's front and rear. I'm using 180's on back now but I WAS going to up that to 200 anyway.

Thanks for this info from all these posts. I think it's a done-deal that they're the best choice.

~JSV

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 at 19:16 Quote
turco999 wrote:
Anyone clock In some serious time on the Dominions, MT7's, or DHR brakes yet?

Looking for more power than a V4 (not as much as a Saint tho), good modulation, and little fade for long descents.

I'm around 210lbs geared up + 39lbs 29er DH.

I think this is my 4th season on Dominion Prototypes (test rider). I'm going through a set of front semi-metallic pads in a year and rears at about half that.
So that's maybe 6 sets of pads so far.

I can't say enough good things about them. Endless power and great feel.

Posted: Feb 24, 2021 at 8:39 Quote
There was ONE THING I didn't ask here that still puzzles me a bit. When using a caliper and rotor set that are designed with 200mm rotors (in this case Code RSC caliper with SRAM Centerline rotor), are there any specific problems or recommended mounting adjustments, hardware parts, etc., that have to be adapted when going to a 203mm rotor?

I think it would be a 1.5mm increase toward the edge or the rotor. Is that enough difference that the mounting adapter should be replaced as well? IDK that one just puzzles me. Most "200 mil rotors" are actually 203, probably to match an SAE measurement.

~JSV

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.018740
Mobile Version of Website