Powered by Outside

Banshee Prime review

PB Forum :: Other
Banshee Prime review
Posted: Jul 15, 2021 at 13:27 Quote
ZSchnei wrote:
Finished my Prime build this morning. Here's a small rundown of the build -- don't mind the Bontrager bits, I've brought all of this over from a Fuel Ex that I cracked twice. Thanks again for all of your help!

- L frame
- 2022 Factory 36 @ 160mm
- X01 drivetrain w/ GX Eagle AXS derailleur
- G2 RSC brakes - 203 rotor front, 180 rear (waiting for the rest of my parts for a Hayes setup)
- Bontrager carbon hoops with CushCore
- Bontrager XR5 front, SE4 rear
- Bontrager bars 780mm wide 27.5 rise
- I9 A35 stem @ 40mm
- Bontrager saddle
- Bike Yoke Revive 160mm dropper
- OneUp components chain guide/bash guard.

photo

photo

photo

Raw and Kashima always look good together. Great build!

O+ FL
Posted: Aug 21, 2021 at 21:57 Quote
photo

Just finished up this 29/27.5 prime build with mainly spare parts kicking around the garage (excl. fork/shock) after selling a Kona 134. Pretty fired up on it from the first couple rides, descends great and climbs way better than anticipated. I may try out the 160 air shaft on the front end, swap from a 40mm to a 50mm stem to balance the front end a little, Lace up another ex 511/DT350 wheel for the front, and pop some burlier tires on. For having the same travel as the Kona the prime definitely rides more confident at speed where I felt an upper limit on the Kona when it would start to get chattery. That and carbon makes ya doughy oho!

Posted: Nov 8, 2021 at 18:51 Quote
Bondseye007 wrote:
Banshee Prime vs Titan vs Phantom.
https://expeditionzeal.wordpress.com/2020/09/23/the-banshee-prime-vs-phantom-vs-titan/

Really nice write up. I'm currently on a Phantom and love it so much. My "big bike" is a 2019 Marin Alpine Trail that I have built quite well with a Helm MK2 and Cane Creek Kitsuma. It does everything well but unless the descent is steep the Phantom is faster. It'll even handle the occasional hucks I throw at it, albeit with a little complaint at bottom out. (I'm also in that 215+ category)

I have been wanting a Transition Sentinel and rode one for a week last month. It's a great bike but based on my love of the Phantom decided to give the Titan a shot. The frame arrived today and the swap happens this week.

Very excite!!!

O+
Posted: Nov 8, 2021 at 20:19 Quote
mastashake wrote:
Bondseye007 wrote:
Banshee Prime vs Titan vs Phantom.
https://expeditionzeal.wordpress.com/2020/09/23/the-banshee-prime-vs-phantom-vs-titan/

Really nice write up. I'm currently on a Phantom and love it so much. My "big bike" is a 2019 Marin Alpine Trail that I have built quite well with a Helm MK2 and Cane Creek Kitsuma. It does everything well but unless the descent is steep the Phantom is faster. It'll even handle the occasional hucks I throw at it, albeit with a little complaint at bottom out. (I'm also in that 215+ category)

I have been wanting a Transition Sentinel and rode one for a week last month. It's a great bike but based on my love of the Phantom decided to give the Titan a shot. The frame arrived today and the swap happens this week.

Very excite!!!

youll be stoked on the titan. I like mine so much that if someone paid me to get another big bike right now i would just get a new titan frame and start over.

Posted: Nov 12, 2021 at 7:04 Quote
How do you prime owners like the 450mm chainstay? I really love the look and geometry of the bike, but I'm a bit concerned by the length of the chainstay. How does it feel on tigh turns? (I mainly ride in the Alps, on very narrow technicals single tracks, with lots of tigh turns where I have to nose turn the bike).

O+
Posted: Nov 12, 2021 at 7:14 Quote
jurassicrider wrote:
How do you prime owners like the 450mm chainstay? I really love the look and geometry of the bike, but I'm a bit concerned by the length of the chainstay. How does it feel on tigh turns? (I mainly ride in the Alps, on very narrow technicals single tracks, with lots of tigh turns where I have to nose turn the bike).

it depends on what size you get. if you're on a medium, they could definitely feel too long. On an XL, they feel perfect to me, after always riding bikes with 430mm chainstays it was like removing a blindfold for me. The rear end is easy for me to pick up and move around.

Posted: Nov 12, 2021 at 8:41 Quote
jurassicrider wrote:

I had a large and it felt very balanced, and stable. Took a ride or two to get use to riding around tight switch backs but it wasn’t a problem. The stability at speed is amazing.

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 12, 2021 at 12:21 Quote
jurassicrider wrote:

Like others have said, it definitely took a little getting used to. Once I did get used to it, I realized I had been missing out for a long time. Stability at speed is phenomenal, and I feel more balanced/centered on the bike which allows me to turn better, even in the tight turns.

Posted: Nov 13, 2021 at 7:34 Quote
Yep, I think you are right. I m 5'7", so M size for me. The best will be to demo one if I can. I'm used to short chainstays : 435mm on my two previous bikes. thanks for the advices guys.

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 13, 2021 at 9:51 Quote
Anyone running 203mm rotors on the rear of their Prime? Anyone experiencing vibration on the rear of the bike?

O+
Posted: Nov 13, 2021 at 10:08 Quote
ZSchnei wrote:
Anyone running 203mm rotors on the rear of their Prime? Anyone experiencing vibration on the rear of the bike?

I did but have since switched to MTX pads and it went away thankfully.

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 13, 2021 at 19:36 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
ZSchnei wrote:

I did but have since switched to MTX pads and it went away thankfully.

Interesting. I just put new brakes on so it’s hard to narrow down exactly what’s causing it.

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 16, 2021 at 8:02 Quote
ZSchnei wrote:

Yes but no vibration.

In another thread, there was a titan owner with severe vibration in the rear that kept loosening the dropout bolts. He never did find the issue.

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 16, 2021 at 12:43 Quote
ShawMac wrote:
ZSchnei wrote:

Yes but no vibration.

In another thread, there was a titan owner with severe vibration in the rear that kept loosening the dropout bolts. He never did find the issue.

I've read through that thread and hope that I'm not in the same boat. It could be as easy as going back to 180 rotors, but that's a workaround solution for something that shouldn't be an issue, IMO.

O+
Posted: Nov 16, 2021 at 13:21 Quote
im assuming that youre using shimano brakes given the 203mm rotor size.
I had the issue on a prime, and then on my titan with both Zees and XT 4 pistons. I even tried swapping the dropouts from my phantom to see if it changed anything but no, tried putting rubber where the brake hose attaches to the frame as well with no positive result. the 180mm rotor solved it but i need brake power so eventually i bought some gold MTX pads (im sure the red ones do the same thing). No more noise, for the last two-ish months.

i hear that you can also help to resolve the issue by cleaning your brake calipers specifically around the pistons.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017099
Mobile Version of Website