What brakes are people running?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What brakes are people running?
Posted: Dec 29, 2022 at 14:21 Quote
Just ordered some Tech4V4s (as in half an hour ago, so not quite had chance to try them yet..) hope (ha!) to mitigate heat build up with 220/200mm vented rotors and pro (green) compound pads.

First Hope brakes in about 7 years, so hope (ha!) the power has caught up with modulation, as my other brakes set a pretty high bar…

O+
Posted: Dec 29, 2022 at 14:30 Quote
Nobble wrote:
krumpdancer101 wrote:
turco999 wrote:
New brakes are on the list for next year. Its either Dominion A4's, or Tech 4 V4's. Anyone with either these brakes want to chime in? 210-220lbs rider, need heavy power but decent modulation.

I have the V4 on my DH and I can say that I’m probably going to switch them out. I’m at 220-230lbs and I get a lot of brake fade with them once hot. There’s been times I actually felt I was unable to slow myself down on steeper stuff due to it and I loved Hope brakes up until this point. I have some older V2’s that I upgraded a little bit and they run a lot better and don’t overheat or cause the same issues for some reason.
Tech 4 V4 or Tech 3 V4?

My mistake. Mine are the tech 3 V4. Do you happen to know what they changed?

Posted: Dec 29, 2022 at 14:55 Quote
krumpdancer101 wrote:
Nobble wrote:
krumpdancer101 wrote:

I have the V4 on my DH and I can say that I’m probably going to switch them out. I’m at 220-230lbs and I get a lot of brake fade with them once hot. There’s been times I actually felt I was unable to slow myself down on steeper stuff due to it and I loved Hope brakes up until this point. I have some older V2’s that I upgraded a little bit and they run a lot better and don’t overheat or cause the same issues for some reason.
Tech 4 V4 or Tech 3 V4?

My mistake. Mine are the tech 3 V4. Do you happen to know what they changed?
Totally new lever assembly. Allegedly they have 30% more power.

Posted: Dec 29, 2022 at 23:57 Quote
krumpdancer101 wrote:

If those are the Tech4, check that you don't have one of their series that has a leaky master cylinder piston. If you press the brake lever, and keep holding, if it slowly goes closer to the handlebars, you can open a warranty claim with Hope / your reseller.

Something with either the piston or the piston seals, allowing liquid to pass through back to the reservoir while it should hold.

O+
Posted: Dec 30, 2022 at 5:26 Quote
Ploutre wrote:
krumpdancer101 wrote:

If those are the Tech4, check that you don't have one of their series that has a leaky master cylinder piston. If you press the brake lever, and keep holding, if it slowly goes closer to the handlebars, you can open a warranty claim with Hope / your reseller.

Something with either the piston or the piston seals, allowing liquid to pass through back to the reservoir while it should hold.

That is 100% what’s going on. I didn’t know they did a warranty on them. It gets to the point where I’m literally pulling the brake lever through the handle bar and still getting no feedback. I’ve probably spent $100 taking the brakes to every bike shop in town and letting them have the chance to bleed them with still The same issue. Thank you for the info.

Posted: Dec 30, 2022 at 6:29 Quote
I love the knowledge of this forum. that's awesome....

Posted: Dec 30, 2022 at 20:51 Quote
The collective knowledge is awesome.

The fact that Hope treated this as a warranty issue rather than a product safety recall, not awesome. Don't f*ck around when it comes to brakes.

Posted: Dec 30, 2022 at 23:18 Quote
As far as I remember, it's only a small number that went out, and I'm not sure they can track where the brakes are ending up. So might aswell let people get back to them, and most likely cheaper to deal on a case to case basis than recall all Tech4 levers.

At least they're taking care of it, not like Fox and their leaky Float X2 that don't last 4 months, and it's "your fault you didn't service it sooner" ....

Posted: Dec 31, 2022 at 6:44 Quote
a4 are so good!! trp evo dh would be another great choice if you want mineral oil.

Posted: Dec 31, 2022 at 16:29 Quote
Ploutre wrote:
As far as I remember, it's only a small number that went out, and I'm not sure they can track where the brakes are ending up. So might aswell let people get back to them, and most likely cheaper to deal on a case to case basis than recall all Tech4 levers.

At least they're taking care of it, not like Fox and their leaky Float X2 that don't last 4 months, and it's "your fault you didn't service it sooner" ....

Okay, but a brake failure is much more dangerous than a leaky shock.

O+
Posted: Dec 31, 2022 at 23:09 Quote
tomhoward379 wrote:
Just ordered some Tech4V4s (as in half an hour ago, so not quite had chance to try them yet..) hope (ha!) to mitigate heat build up with 220/200mm vented rotors and pro (green) compound pads.

First Hope brakes in about 7 years, so hope (ha!) the power has caught up with modulation, as my other brakes set a pretty high bar…

I’ve been running tech4 since September and love them! Such a progressive braking power, gives me tons of control and confidence.

I have them on my DH bike, 203 front with red pads and 223 rear with green pads. To me this evens out the power and let’s me is the front very hard without locking it up. Just a preference coming from moto, other brakes were too on/off and made me lock the front and push in corners.

The pads rattle a bit when your not in the brakes. Better Bolts came out with a larger diameter pin to stop this if it bothers you.

Posted: Oct 12, 2023 at 14:46 Quote
This lever is so trickstuff its not even funny[/Quote]

It's a Trickhope setup......LOL[/Quote]

i thought that too Smile

Posted: Oct 13, 2023 at 2:49 Quote
Hope tech, V2s, MOTOs, MINIs, MINI MONOs, E4, Shimano DEORE, Shimano SLX 4pot and
Shimano DX V with JUIN R1 Hydraulic calipers.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.022507
Mobile Version of Website