Powered by Outside

2018 RM Instinct

PB Forum :: Rocky Mountain Bikes
2018 RM Instinct
O+
Posted: Apr 17, 2019 at 19:47 Quote
DonLopez wrote:
I tested a Trek with 29x2.4 on a 30 mm rim and liked that size wheel. Not sure how well 2.5 WT would work on 27 mm rim, but should be fine. I went with 27.5x2.4 instead of 2.5 WT because my rims are only 25 mm.

i used to run a 2.5 on my durocs as well

Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 16:51 Quote
I posted this in the mechanics thread too.

Odd question.

Anyone know what crown race the 2019 Instinct C70 takes?

The lower bearing says MR 019 1.5 36x45 h8 and I believe this is the headset https://shop.fullspeedahead.com/en/no-57e-3425

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 20, 2019 at 19:58 Quote
I just ordered a Cane Creek DBair IL for my Instinct. Anyone who's replaced the rear shock remember the size for the mounting hardware? I couldn't find it while scanning this thread. Thanks!

O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2019 at 20:56 Quote
The mounting hardware is custom to Rocky. You can get the eyelet set at on bikes.com for 37$. It's a set of black bearing cups, enduro bearings and a sleeve. All for the bottom eyelet. Your stock shock should have these on, just get them pulled at the your lbs and pressed into the new shock.

O+
Posted: Sep 18, 2019 at 13:34 Quote
crustin wrote:
I just ordered a Cane Creek DBair IL for my Instinct. Anyone who's replaced the rear shock remember the size for the mounting hardware? I couldn't find it while scanning this thread. Thanks!

How did this end up? I'm debating the same and also want to figure out the hardware situation.

FL
Posted: Oct 5, 2019 at 0:12 Quote
Hi guys,

I have a 2018 altitude, which I really enjoy riding, but I want to try a 29er. Would it be fair to say the instinct BC is a fairly direct comparison to the alitidue. Or the nearest bike I will get to the altitude with 29 inch wheels?

I have read plenty of reviews and apart from a slightly high bar, the BC edition seems to get very positive reviews.

Let me know your thoughts, or what the biggest differences are between the two.

Also if anyone has gone down the same path, did you find it a positive experience?

FL
Posted: Oct 5, 2019 at 1:02 Quote
v7fmp wrote:
Hi guys,

I have a 2018 altitude, which I really enjoy riding, but I want to try a 29er. Would it be fair to say the instinct BC is a fairly direct comparison to the alitidue. Or the nearest bike I will get to the altitude with 29 inch wheels?

I have read plenty of reviews and apart from a slightly high bar, the BC edition seems to get very positive reviews.

Also if anyone has gone down the same path, did you find it a positive experience?

Hey buddy, I’ve ridden both and the instinct takes the cake. Check out my website for a look at my build www.twothemountainsco.com

I loved my altitude and thought I could go no better, now I’m on the instinct and have a mrp hazzard coil. Life changing. Utterly amazing. Think climbs like a rocket up just about anything and takes hits like it shouldn’t be able too. I spent a month in whistler over August and it was faultless. And I’ve broken many a bike, most within the first month or two. The instinct is rad

FL
Posted: Oct 5, 2019 at 5:42 Quote
howie286 wrote:
v7fmp wrote:
Hi guys,

Hey buddy, I’ve ridden both and the instinct takes the cake. Check out my website for a look at my build www.twothemountainsco.com

I loved my altitude and thought I could go no better, now I’m on the instinct and have a mrp hazzard coil. Life changing. Utterly amazing. Think climbs like a rocket up just about anything and takes hits like it shouldn’t be able too. I spent a month in whistler over August and it was faultless. And I’ve broken many a bike, most within the first month or two. The instinct is rad

Daaaamn dude.... you may have just cost me a bunch of monies! Haha. Thanks for the feedback. Do you use it as a trail bike too? Or are you more of a park rider? This, much like the altitude is a one 'do it all' bike, so it needs to be enjoyable on mellow stuff and be able to do the odd longer ride.

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 at 16:54 Quote
hi all i have recently purchased a 2019 rocky mountain instinct c50 and have a couple of questions if anyone is able to help.

What is the max size chainring i can run (currently a 32 but i usually run a 36 but looks like it might not fit on this bike)

what should the weight if the bike be (i read a claimed weight of 12.8kg but my medium is closer to 13.8 without pedals

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 7:04 Quote
rabidmonkfish wrote:
hi all i have recently purchased a 2019 rocky mountain instinct c50 and have a couple of questions if anyone is able to help.

What is the max size chainring i can run (currently a 32 but i usually run a 36 but looks like it might not fit on this bike)

what should the weight if the bike be (i read a claimed weight of 12.8kg but my medium is closer to 13.8 without pedals

Hope someone knows and will post the answer. I run a 36t on my 2014 Altitude Rally (basically same frame as Instinct), and I’m pretty sure it would fit a 40t, but my cranks are XTR, 2X capable but running 1X.

I think the redesigned frames from 2018 and later won’t fit much bigger chainrings. I’m sure 34t would work, but I will want 36t when I decide to park my 2014. However, my 1999 Element (3X) still gets ridden regularly.

Posted: Oct 21, 2019 at 11:09 Quote
yeh looks like a 34t would fit but im not so sure on a 36t

O+
Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 19:28 Quote
Hey All,

Just picked up a smoking deal on a Instinct C70 for my wife. She already has a Shore bike that is 160/160. She wants something more light/nimble she can ride on the less gnarly BC trails (still gnarly but not North Shore gnar). I've set her up with a flat enve bar with a 50mm enve stem to give her a little more XC feel. Upgraded the bits to Sram XO and put on her old Selle Italia Diva Ti saddle and some XTR pedals. I suspect it weighs about 28lbs. She is pretty stocked.

Couple of questions:
1) Anyone know how many tokens they put in a size med shock and fork?
2) Anyone have any experience riding in either the 1 or 5 position. As we live in BC, I was thinking of putting it in 1 but if everyone said 5 was the best, might start her out there. Is there much of a difference in climbing between 1 and 5? If not, I'd probably just go for 1.

Thanks

FL
Posted: Nov 16, 2019 at 14:32 Quote
rahrider wrote:
Hey All,

Just picked up a smoking deal on a Instinct C70 for my wife. She already has a Shore bike that is 160/160. She wants something more light/nimble she can ride on the less gnarly BC trails (still gnarly but not North Shore gnar). I've set her up with a flat enve bar with a 50mm enve stem to give her a little more XC feel. Upgraded the bits to Sram XO and put on her old Selle Italia Diva Ti saddle and some XTR pedals. I suspect it weighs about 28lbs. She is pretty stocked.

Couple of questions:
1) Anyone know how many tokens they put in a size med shock and fork?
2) Anyone have any experience riding in either the 1 or 5 position. As we live in BC, I was thinking of putting it in 1 but if everyone said 5 was the best, might start her out there. Is there much of a difference in climbing between 1 and 5? If not, I'd probably just go for 1.

Thanks

If you type the (4-digit) code on the shock into the search on the Fox website it should tell you what size volume spacer is in it. Probably one orange spacer in the fork.

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 15:15 Quote
Personally I'd say leave the ride-9 in the neutral position to start out. You don't want her to have another shore bike after all.

I actually find the BB too low in the 1 position for many areas of the province and prefer slackening the bike using the bonus headset cup and somewhere between 1 and 5.

O+ FL
Posted: Dec 11, 2019 at 16:52 Quote
Does anyone ride an instinct with a CC DB IL coil? I haven't tried a coil before and was wondering if the cane creek online setup tools are accurate for spring rate. I currently use an X2 on my BC edition but I would like to switch to a smaller, 210x55 shock for general trail riding with a 150mm travel fork.

Also, the 210x55 shock has no issue with BC linkage correct? I don't think I will notice a lack of ride 9 geometry adjustments and really feel the BC geo is spot on.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.038578
Mobile Version of Website