Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
Posted: Nov 27, 2023 at 13:08 Quote
yetiboyjay wrote:
estinehart wrote:
I know this is the AF thread but I have a question related to carbon. I have chance to buy a carbon Ripmo V2 frame at a great price but I don’t want to waste my moneys if the upgrade isn’t worth it. Has anyone made the jump to carbon, and if so, is it worth it?

Yes worth it. Carbon is lighter and rides better (for me). I really like the stiffness you get from Carbon and the highly strung feel.

Opposite for me. I have a RAF and rented a carbon V2 while in Sedona. The difference wasn't enough for me to warrant the price difference between the two.

O+
Posted: Nov 27, 2023 at 13:44 Quote
Slowpoke502 wrote:
yetiboyjay wrote:
estinehart wrote:
I know this is the AF thread but I have a question related to carbon. I have chance to buy a carbon Ripmo V2 frame at a great price but I don’t want to waste my moneys if the upgrade isn’t worth it. Has anyone made the jump to carbon, and if so, is it worth it?

Yes worth it. Carbon is lighter and rides better (for me). I really like the stiffness you get from Carbon and the highly strung feel.

Opposite for me. I have a RAF and rented a carbon V2 while in Sedona. The difference wasn't enough for me to warrant the price difference between the two.

As someone over 200lb, I think there are diminishing returns on the lower weight frame. If my wife was wanting one, I'd probably think she'd benefit more than me.

O+
Posted: Nov 27, 2023 at 16:58 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
Slowpoke502 wrote:
yetiboyjay wrote:

As someone over 200lb, I think there are diminishing returns on the lower weight frame. If my wife was wanting one, I'd probably think she'd benefit more than me.

I have only had aluminum frames including the AF. I got a transition spur 6 months ago not because I wanted carbon but I liked the bike and it only came in carbon. That said I can notice the stiffness of the frame compared the the AF as I am 230 so I am putting a little more stress on it then the average person.
The carbon has a great feel to it. But still it isn’t worth an extra grand and the worry about damage during a crash

O+
Posted: Nov 28, 2023 at 7:34 Quote
The crash stuff with carbon I still can't get used to. Rocks pinging off my frame bring me no sense of anxiety.

Posted: Dec 3, 2023 at 16:45 Quote
Swapped out the Jade X Coil for a RS Super Deluxe, and what a difference! Descents are about the same, still have that nice plush feeling through the chunky sections and drops. But the climbs, especially on the rough technical uphill feels so much better.

photo

O+
Posted: Dec 4, 2023 at 7:29 Quote
Hey guys.

I have a Ripmo AF 1st gen 2020 with a Float X2 MY2019.

Any idea how many volume spacers go to the positive and how many to the negative from stock ?

Posted: Dec 5, 2023 at 8:05 Quote
FiLaReToS wrote:
Hey guys.

I have a Ripmo AF 1st gen 2020 with a Float X2 MY2019.

Any idea how many volume spacers go to the positive and how many to the negative from stock ?

I would check with Ibis support. They've been responsive and helpful to me when setting up my shock.

O+
Posted: Dec 8, 2023 at 10:20 Quote
Having spent a few years slowly turning my ripmo AF into some kind of enduro bike, I recently bought a Mondraker Level R e-bike which has a ridiculous amount of travel and is now the go to bike when I’m riding scary stuff and is absolutely perfect for it. So I started thinking about getting rid of the RAF for something I could do long trail rides on.
I almost bought one of the stupid cheap Nukeproof reactor frames from chain reaction but instead I’ve hit the factory reset button on the Ripmo.
I’ve removed the cascade link, cushcore and DD tyres so it’s back to the standard link and exo+ casing tyres. It feels so different, it’s like riding an xc bike in comparison. Takes me back to when I first got it in 2020 in the first UK lockdown when I was furloughed from work and was doing around 250km per week on it. I’m now up to about 6,500km on it and looking forward to many more.
Bloody love this bike.

Posted: Dec 8, 2023 at 12:29 Quote
Hey All, new to the forum by way of 'wife's new bike'.
She is THE WORST at being able to give me feedback on the suspension settings so; to start; I'm looking for a coil spring rate recommendation for a rider around the 130lb. mark?
Also, everyone having good experiences with the Jade X shock?

Posted: Dec 9, 2023 at 5:13 Quote
I would go with a 400lb spring, but it will also depend on how she rides. If not many big features, jumps, drops etc, she might go lower. But the jade x will go through it's travel pretty easily. I ended up going up 2 springs, getting Cascade Link and then more compression damping on the shock tune.

O+
Posted: Dec 9, 2023 at 7:33 Quote
Ibis DVO RAF setup is in this doc on their site: click here

O+
Posted: Dec 9, 2023 at 11:20 Quote
code26 wrote:
She is THE WORST at being able to give me feedback on the suspension settings so; to start; I'm looking for a coil spring rate recommendation for a rider around the 130lb. mark?

Here is my suggestion. Get an air shock. If she doesn’t know what she likes and can’t provide good feedback you can set it on sag and the dials in the middle and slowly tweak it over time. Also air has the advantage of setting it up for a different person just by changing pressure. I got my wife a medium Marin rift zone that she uses occasionally but I have introduced so many of my friends and my sons friends to mountain biking with that bike. Just my experience

Posted: Dec 13, 2023 at 7:00 Quote
NERyder wrote:
Slowpoke502 wrote:

I have only had aluminum frames including the AF. I got a transition spur 6 months ago not because I wanted carbon but I liked the bike and it only came in carbon. That said I can notice the stiffness of the frame compared the the AF as I am 230 so I am putting a little more stress on it then the average person.
The carbon has a great feel to it. But still it isn’t worth an extra grand and the worry about damage during a crash

Thanks for all of the feedback. The allure of carbon is strong but the cost to upgrade doesn't seem worth it unless the price was unbelievably good.

Posted: Dec 13, 2023 at 11:12 Quote
code26 wrote:
Jade-x has been good to me but 3 seasons in and the shaft needs replacing for the "HD" version. If yours is black anodised you're good, if it's gold just keep an eye on it for wear.
I'm around 145lb, started on the recommended 350# with the standard link which may be ok for general trail riding but I blew through it pretty fast descending. Ibis choose to run a very light compression.
Now with the Cascade link I have a sprindex permanently maxed out at 430# and it's great.

O+
Posted: Dec 15, 2023 at 3:43 Quote
Honestly the steals (sales) that I have seen happen in the last few months has me questioning how much it really cost to make these carbon frames. The markup is insane. The ripmo v2 carbon frame should be selling for 1500 and they would still profit.

estinehart wrote:
NERyder wrote:

Thanks for all of the feedback. The allure of carbon is strong but the cost to upgrade doesn't seem worth it unless the price was unbelievably good.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013789
Mobile Version of Website