Video: Peaty And Ratboy On Hardtails

Nov 2, 2012 at 12:00
Nov 2, 2012
by Tyler Maine

Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But give a man a Chameleon, and he can eat up Santa Cruz County for a day instead. Peaty and Ratboy take a break from plundering our warehouse to seek and destroy a few local hotspots.

With new replaceable rear dropouts, tapered head tube, ISCG 05 mounts and lighter hydroformed tubing, this 26" swiss-army knife remains the benchmark in hardtail versatility.

From pumptrack to single track, town to cross-country... the all new Chameleon is whatever animal you want it to be. Find out more at santacruzbicycles.com/chameleon
Video: Biketherapy
49418 views

thats what am talkin about i would love to be able to ride like that but am 55 and tryin to stay alive . that being i am off to glentress at 5am tomorrow do the black trail then go for a BIG BREAKFAST good night everyone .
 The crazy thing is the black trail is probably safer than the big breakfast.
 Like the old saying goes "Growing old is mandatory, growing up isn't" Smile . Keep doing what you enjoy Napalm!
 thaaattt..... made me wanna buy a hardtail
 Peaty and Rat boy are so damn tall they ride the hardtails like they're DJ bikes! XD
 Uh buddy, those bikes are chameleon's which is a DJ bike.... I know the jackal is the DJ specific but those are still DJ bikes
 dont think id call it a dj bike. not that it isnt dj capable, but i think id rather call it an all mountain hardtail....one of the most versatile bikes ive ever seen...
 It's just the shorter travel end of the all-mountain hardtail spectrum
 I've got a all mountain hardtail setup, thought it was pretty versitiale, no were near as good as one of those though, I want one soooooooooooooo bad!!!!!!!!
 Yea I guess so.... They are very versatile for sure.... Anyways I think we're sidetracked! The video is doooope! Good work guys!
 Don't get me wrong , they are great frames but how are then anymore verstile than anyother HT frame out there with the same angles/geo ?

HYPE HYPE HYPE
 I'm sure there are plenty of easily comparable handrail frames out there..although you don't see many non xc non 29er frames being promoted as such....also sc bikes is local for me (might as well rep em if I were to go for the hardtail) and I have only ever heard good things about the chameleon...old or new.
 i like all this movement to using a hardtail. it sortof makes me want to pull out the ol' XC bike and through some 140mm on it and a single speed up front with a chain guide and have the time of my life
 hardcore hardtail will never die!
 It's weird that DMR stopped making the Trailstar when it seems like a lot of companies are either starting to create or (in SC's case) revamp their versatile hardtails with interchangeable dropouts. I've had my Trailstar for a long time now and it seems pretty comparable to newer hardtails that are hitting the scene. I know that Chameleons and others have been around for a while, not contesting that DMR makes a better bike or anything, just wondering why they stopped making their niche bike while other companies are blowing up the scene.
 I grew up riding one of the Norco shore hardtails and at that time very few brands were really making anything comparable. It is funny that now that those bikes have nearly been erased from their line up (and many other brand's line ups) that there is this emerging trend to market this type of bike as if its a new concept. Maybe trails have just become so smooth from the influence of bike parks that riding hardtails and even those Transition klunkers is a more desirable thing. I think hardtails used to be for young kids or older fellas who were just straight old school, but now they are being marketed as a nostalgia inducing, retro, fun, second bike to have along side the downhill bike. This way the brands don't have to actually design anything high tech but can pull in some more sales from guys who already have a full downhill bike. Train on bike hardtail, shred at the bike park on the dh bike.
 Yeah. The Trailstar was my first "proper" bike that I buit up myself, full SLX drivetrain, XT wheelset, Fox Talas forks, Thomson finish and conti tyres. Was sweet as a nut - if a little heavy. But that was the thing, after a while it stopped having a competitvie weight with models like the Genesis Alpitude following it and the Transition is a good shout too - their TransAM looks like a sweet contender. It always surprised me that DMR didn't make an effort to update the design especially when it was clearly so popular and has always had a bit of a cult following this side of the pond AND epecially when DMR had been pushing the tech to make their grades of steel so much lighter.

Miss that bike...
 Well, for some of us poor student types it's the most practical option as well. Affordable to buy, a little cheaper to run, simple, and a pleasure to ride. I graduated from a motley, spare parts, fully rigid bike, made up of surly forks, an old haro escape frame, and v brakes. Riding a 160mm travel fork feels like luxury. Sometimes it's just a progression?
 Agreed with all of the above. I'm still stuck in hardtail mode but mostly because every time I look at how much buying a new bike will cost me, I decide to throw a fraction of that at my Trailstar. I've probably invested way more than I ever wanted to in that bike but it's near perfect at this point and still, at least in the lower 48 and for the way I ride, a literal "do-it-all" bike. I completed the Colorado Trail (650 mile bike-packing death challenge), ride downhill trails all over the northwest, hit the dirt jump track and commute 10 miles to school every day all on the same bike...kind of ridiculous.
 *edit the CT was 550 miles, not 650, when I did it
 I've just finished a nice rebuild of my 2002 Trailstar LT - and a sweet ride it is too! The chameleon is another old dog that has stood the test of time, great that SC continue to improve it. I wish DMR had brought out the LT with proper hose guides and swopouts...
 Looks sick man, I like the clean and simple build.
 All the hardtail videos on Pinkbike lately have made me want to go out and buy a hardtail.
 Yea same. Kinda makes me wanna go get the hardtail frame out of the shed and build it up again.
 certainly did it for me. i went out and got one used this summer and now im riding three times as much as i used to! whole world of dj/pumptrack.street fun opened up!
 Do it! I did, got a sweet Stanton Slackline (geo much like the Chameleon) and it's opened my eyes. Even sold my full-sus trail bike! Use it to commute, ride AM, enduro, skate park the lot
 I have a 2012 chameleon. amazing xc/ trail bike. I run a 140mm fox 32 float rlc. its a fast nimble bike for epic rides that incorporate trail, AM and hard pack and even some road commuting. I must admit that it has awkwardly funky Geo whenever it comes to dirt jumping or when you really want to get aggressive on a dh section. would recommend for trail riders but I'll be sticking to my Jackal when I wanna push myself.
 The new Chameleons look great! I love my 2008-2011 era, definitely a "do it all" bike. I can't wait for the day that I can purchase a new dual-suspension bike, so then I can convert my Chameleon to a single speed.

Love the video! Wish there were more like it.
 they make it look so simple, to bad I cant even do half of what they're pulling off
 I ride an Enduro now... But I was always a Hardcore HT'er before now. Had a GT Aggressor as my first "good" bike... then a few other things, then before the Enduro an OnOne 456 Summer Season, with a 160mm 55 RC3. Such a fast bike. Super versatile and loads of fun. Loved it. Just wish I'd had the money to keep the thing..
 Way to go monslave, likewise just ordered my Chameleon, this very hour, and in Tennis Yellow. Was undecided on a couple of choices until I saw the vid, the bike looks so sic in that colour gotta have it.

Napalmjeff; stick with it fella, I'm 68 and just about to get my first hardtail in over 9 years. Smile
 that part in the woods remembered me some old school peaty on a yellow cab Orange(the brand) hardtail back in the day. can't remember the movie, but dam this guy is smooth!
 Earthed 3. Warncliff Woods, Near Sheffield, UK. I still have my Orange Subzero. Best HT ever.
 Nice vid! Kids, take note how Doug E Fresh removed the dropout bolts that is the correct way; dont take one bolt fully out or else the other fastened bolt will take all the force to hold the dropout.
 Doug E Fresh = coolest name ever.
 Strange, didn't see a beer opener on the drop out....not gonna lie, my Heckler's has gotten a good workout Big Grin
 not gonna lie man... that shit came in handy way more than i thought it would
 Ah man saratoga gap?! Just rode this shit yesterday
 lol, love that trail i cant go half as fast as they do on my hardtail sick riding
 Amazing! Two of my favourite riders on my favourite bike! Best video on PB :p
 so much style from these two. Love to see some more hardtail edits, so different to watch
 Could you imagine just showing up at SC head quarters and they're like ow hey dude what do you want to ride today? We got sweet brand new Chameleons wanna try?
 nice ad.

hardtails do rule though, 140/160mm fork and you have a perfect do anything bike.
 Ahh well ill just drop by and say i could watch this video till my eyes were bleeding! ...... Good Times!
 That was just so awesome! For the longest time I wanted a chameleon, but now i'm getting a dually.... and now im not too happy about it...
 ok dude i know hardtails might look fun and they r but if u wanna ride mountains dual suspension is the way to go. i went from a hardtail to a fully and i fucking love it! anyways haha...
 Yeah I know that hardtails are fun. It's a simple fact. I'm making the move to a 150mm trail/playbike from my 140mm hardtail, all I'm saying is i will miss my hardtail Smile
 yeahhh. .hardtail is pain and fun.. its the mix of sliding drifting and crash. .. but i need a dropper seat post hahah
 luckily i didnt have to get rid of my dj :p
 SARATOGA GAP!!!! two iconic mtn bike racers ride one of my favorite xc loops. SO PUMPED
 giving up my hardtail tomorrow for a dual sus. , after seeing this i may shed a tear.
 I'm lucky enough to go riding with those two Gaylord's every Christmas time. :-)
 Peaty & Ratboy shreddn saratoga gap & depot park!!! still think SCB needs to make a vp jackal... just sayn.
 I thought they were sponsored by Chris king and that didn't look like no king hub?
 it looks like they were at the santa cruz headquarters/warehouse, so i think they were just riding stock settups for the day to try the new chameleon out. the wheels shown in the video are an option on some of the stock santa cruz builds.
 Sweet advertisement...nobody needs more to have fun!!
 wait...ok. Now I really want to buy a hardtail. Thank you pinkbike
 Nice vid.. Need to fix my hardtail.. I have to untacoe my rim.
 Hardtails are the grass roots man for sure.
 I think i found my new frame.
 proud to own a chameleon myself! greatest bike i ever owned
 Sorry but it won't bring back the Jackal...R.I.P Santa Cruz Jackal 2006-2012
 Swap from single speed to "mech"........Im impressed! Way to go Santa.
 Couldn't resist...I just ordered a Large Tennis Yellow @ my LBS
 Uhhhhhhhhh If this doesn't make VOD I'm gonna kill myself!
 Mmmkaaaay then
 Basically, no one does anything for me anymore, unless I threaten to kill myself.
 Oh hey, I've ridden all those spots. NBD.
 What's that first spot?
 Well, some guys in the comments are calling it Saratoga Gap.
 these hardtail edits coming out are sick!
 hahaha crazy motherfu****s, and insane bike btw!
 California, man, I am jealous. That looks like the life.
 No front derailleur with Shimano gear... What's the trick???
 the chameleon hasn't been the 'benchmark in hardtail versatility' for years, but still a cool video
 jesus, those bikes looks fun !
 Hardtails FTW!
 Rowdy! That was an awesome little edit there!!!
 Man hardtails are fun
 where were they doing that slope style stuff in the beginning?
 Looks like a blast!