On a sunny day in early April, the crew at Yeti brought together select media sources to have have a look at their all new SB-66 bike and suspension platform. In true Yeti form, the SB-66 is an all new suspension platform for them (more details below) and this new 6 inch bike is set to take trails by storm.
Yeti was approached at the Sea Otter Classic two years ago with a suspension design that some would say is outside the box and for that reason alone, the engineers felt that Yeti may be willing to take an innovative risk and help them progress the design into what we see today. Yeti added two of their own engineers to the mix and together the 4 engineers took the project forward - that concept has seen several prototypes in the past 2 years.
The result of all this work is the new SB-66 that uses Switch - Technology (more details below) in a 6 inch chassis. The new six inch bike is not replacing anything in the line up, rather it is adding to it. Yeti makes different genres of suspension for different applications and doesn’t limit itself to one particular design or style. Rail on the DH bikes, Single Pivots too etc. Read on to learn all about this new platform from Yeti Cycles.Switch Technology:
Switch Technology uses an eccentric assembly to create a micro link (12mm link equivalent) that continuously repositions the lower pivot of the swing arm throughout the range of travel. This dual link design allows for a bike with great anti-squat characteristics for efficient pedaling, but maintains suspension independence throughout the bike's travel.Pedaling Efficiency -
In the early stage of travel the micro link is guiding the lower pivot of the swing arm rearward. This rearward direction counteracts chain forces and gives the bike excellent anti-squat characteristics.Plush, Controlled Travel -
As the bike moves past sag, the micro-link rotates in the opposite direction. This switch in direction controls the rate of chain stay growth, which is necessary to eliminate pedal feedback and allows for uninhibited suspension performance.Suspension Rate -
The suspension rate has been optimize to work with Switch Technology. The rate switches from falling to rising to falling (dual inflection point) in order to achieve ideal anti-squat and suspension characteristics. Yeti has worked extensively with Fox Racing Shox to tailor the rate and shock tuning. In its current configuration, it is optimized for six inches of travel, but can be modified for different travel.
• 2 years of field testing
• Yeti has a 3 year exclusive on the technology
• The BB / pivot area is first forged and then post machined to get the tolerances needed for this all to work accordinglyFrame Details:
• Weight - Alloy - 7lbs with shock
• Weight - Carbon - 6lbs with shock
• Custom butted hydro-formed 6000 series aluminium
• Tapered inset head tube
• Oversized pivots (Top link pin - 17mm thru axle / Enduro Max angular contact bearings, Main pivot pin - 15mm thru axle / Enduro Max Bearings)
• Fully sealed eccentric system
• Switch Technology - Patent Pending suspension system
• Yeti Chip System - Drop Outs (9mm x 135mm or 12mm x 142mm)
• Internally routed cable guides on rear triangle
• Seat Post dropper guides
• Direct mount front derailleur
• Custom elastomer chain slap guards
• Post Mount Disc Tabs (160mm rotor size)
• Keyed mounts for ISCG 05, Old and no guide options
• Black, Turquoise, White and Yellow production colors.Yeti SB-66 geometry:Additional Information:
• Yeti recommends 25% sag on the SB-66 for optimum efficiency
• High Anti Squat
• Very linear = easily tuned (works well with both coil and air shock options)
• Fox Racing Shox has been involved from initiation of the project
• MSRP in USD
; Frame Only - Fox Factory RP23 - $2200, SB-66 Enduro (X9/X7) $3500, SB-66 Race (XT Kit) $4500, and SB-66 Pro (XTR Kit) $6150.
• Carbon will be available in December and will shave a pound off the total frame weight. Price TBD
Photo by Tyler Roemer